PDA

View Full Version : In looking at AK's. ARSENAL Or Lancaster? Stamped vs milled?

2fast4u
03-03-2010, 8:11 AM
I have been thinking of getting a nice AK74 for sometime. I'm looking for something
nice/well made.

It seems like I have come up with these 2 at are about the same price.

A Milled Lancaster or a Stamped Arsenal?

What are the ups and down sides of both and what would you guys pick and why?

Thanks.

69Mach1
03-03-2010, 8:36 AM
The stamped Arsenal SGL-31 is a real Russian AK 74. A bit pricey, but well worth it, and it has the original chrome lined barrel. The Arsenal stamped Bulgarian SLR series are banned by name.

2fast4u
03-04-2010, 8:01 AM
So you would go with a stamped Arsenal over a Milled Lancaster?

What makes a Milled AK some much nicer?

MrNiceGuy
03-04-2010, 9:41 AM
I guess the more practical reason for milled is because the whole thing is made from a solid chunk of metal, so there's no "flex".
Some people think it's more "accurate" because there's less flex.....but I'm not sure if it's true.
There's a youtube video showing a slow-mo firing of an AK and you can see the stamped receiver litterally "twisting" whenever it fires a shot.
And you can't bend it out of shape by sitting on it or leaning on it (not that you could with a stamped, but people are paranoid).
So overall the structural rigidity of a milled build is much better than a stamped.

But for collectors, like some Yugo's that only comes originally as milled, they want to keep it "period correct" to keep it original.

GTXR390
03-04-2010, 9:59 AM
i heard lancaster customer support went down the hole...Arsenal's the way to go, but they don't sell to CA...you'll have to find a "middleman"?? or someone selling their (Arsenal's) products.

that's the last thing i've read bout those two companies...3-6 months ago?? can't quite remember.

stamped...it's lighter in weight

Z ME FLY
03-04-2010, 10:26 AM
i heard lancaster customer support went down the hole...Arsenal's the way to go, but they don't sell to CA...you'll have to find a "middleman"?? or someone selling their (Arsenal's) products.

that's the last thing i've read bout those two companies...3-6 months ago?? can't quite remember.

stamped...it's lighter in weight

Yes Lancaster sucks... BADDDD

djleisure
03-04-2010, 11:24 AM

100% true! Lancaster has gone WAY down hill - DO NOT buy from Lancaster. If you can find another company that has a Lancaster in stock, then maybe go for it, but don't fall for the "lifetime warranty" BS either. If you needed to send your AK back to Lancaster for any repair work, it would be just about as effective as getting punched in the cack by a midget.

xfilterx
03-04-2010, 12:31 PM
If you needed to send your AK back to Lancaster for any repair work, it would be just about as effective as getting punched in the cack by a midget.

:rofl:

raven1911
03-04-2010, 1:25 PM
There is nothing wrong with Landcaster arms RIFLES. Their customer service is very suspect and I hear sucks bad, but their rifles are very nice. Arsenal are Belgian and imported that way and are excellent AK's, but I don't know if you can get one in CA. Milled vs stamped....get stamped. The AK design is not worth the milled price difference. You will not see hardly any difference in accuracy or reliability. If I were you I would consider the Saiga though. Very good build, made in Russia and a nice all around rifle for $330 for the AK74. California legal as well. Saiga's are GTG out of the box, accurate and reliable. There are conversions you can do to the Saiga to restore them to AK dimensions and to accept AK mags and such but it you have to abide by CA laws and they have to be 922R compliant. Look at peachtree state for good prices on Saiga's.

telcolineman
03-04-2010, 1:56 PM
Arsenal Arms are on the banned list by brand, Therefore it is considered an assault rifle by definition. Joe public in Ca. can't buy one

bplvr
03-04-2010, 2:08 PM
Arsenal Arms are on the banned list by brand, Therefore it is considered an assault rifle by definition. Joe public in Ca. can't buy one
++
Only the SLG series and the SLR series are on the list .The SGL-31 is not named.[this is a similar situation to the Rock River LAR -15's,which are ok.]

=

djleisure
03-04-2010, 2:09 PM
That is 100% (okay, well 98%) wrong! Only Arsenal SLG and SLR ar listed. The current models are SGL and there are quite a few in CA... proceed!

zee list
http://calnra.com/flowchart/gfx/a2y.gif

saern
03-04-2010, 2:42 PM
Arsenal are Belgian

Nope Bulgarian. Arsenals mil.spec./ Lancaster reversed engineer counterfeits(I highly doubt they pay Izhmash licensing)

hoozaru
03-04-2010, 2:48 PM
Lancaster AK74 are decent. The rivets are done right, sights are not canted as the WASRs, the paint is very tough, but they didn't do a good cleaning after the sand blast, so some paint came off (ex. rear sight, rear trunnion, barrel pin area), and I could see sand or blasting media remains underneath. however for most parts, paint did hold up very well. This is def not an issue for AK series, but for an American made AK, one would expect Lancaster to do better than that. IIRC, there was a thread here about how Lancaster screwed a calgunner last year, and something about telling the guy to keep his mouth shut and ship the dirty gun back in a big box.

if money is not a problem for you, get Arsenal SGL.
other less expensive options are:
Saiga 5.45
Henderson certified WASR-2

2600fromAtari
03-04-2010, 5:42 PM
If you like the novelty of having a milled AK, go for it, but the stamped models will do its job just fine. Arsenal/Saiga above Lancaster. There is no comparison in my eyes with the models I've owned. The action feels buttery smooth to me versus the Lancaster or a WASR. Fit and finish is also ahead by a good margin with the models I owned. YMMV.

Money no object, I'd get a milled Arsenal. If I could only have one, it'd be a stamped Arsenal. Parts are easier to find on the stamped models. Things such as the stock are not interchangeable between stamped and milled models.

raven1911
03-04-2010, 7:30 PM
Nope Bulgarian. Arsenals mil.spec./ Lancaster reversed engineer counterfeits(I highly doubt they pay Izhmash licensing)

You are absolutely right, I had a major brain fart on that one!;)

G-Solutions
03-04-2010, 7:35 PM
I have been thinking of getting a nice AK74 for sometime. I'm looking for something
nice/well made.

It seems like I have come up with these 2 at are about the same price.

A Milled Lancaster or a Stamped Arsenal?

What are the ups and down sides of both and what would you guys pick and why?

Thanks.

I can highly recommend Jim Fuller/Rifle Dynamics (http://www.rifledynamics.com). I've seen and shot several of his rifles and they are top notch.
Either get a basic AK and have Jim work it over or get a kit and receiver and have him build it up.
You will get back a rifle that is 100% reliable.

thedrickel
03-04-2010, 8:53 PM
tree fiddy!

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/akagun74.aspx

jljen
03-04-2010, 8:53 PM
I can highly recommend Jim Fuller/Rifle Dynamics (http://www.rifledynamics.com). I've seen and shot several of his rifles and they are top notch.
Either get a basic AK and have Jim work it over or get a kit and receiver and have him build it up.
You will get back a rifle that is 100% reliable.

+1 I had planned on getting a Lancaster at first. After studying AK-47s for over 6 months, and wanting the best, I came to the same conclusion after reading all the excellent reviews of Jim Fuller's AKs. I talked with him a few times and he answered my newbie questions. Jim/Karen/Dan are great people.

He's also offering the EXO Nickel Boron coating on AKs and ARs. I'm getting the treatment on the AK I'm having him build for me.

Now the only problem is the wait time. Due to Rifle Dynamics' workload, it's going to take some time for them to build me one. Quality takes time. I'm really excited about it!

Trendkill
03-04-2010, 10:12 PM

Oh yeah...???

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e181/necritan/IMG_5946.jpg

Nookieaki
03-04-2010, 10:17 PM

Not all Arsenals( some are ) are banned, the problem is getting them into the state. PRKarms had some, but they sold with the quickness. IF you find some in CA, grab them quick.

saern
03-04-2010, 10:24 PM
umm, thats a saiga not really an Arsenal. Arsenal Las Vegas had imported them and just converted them using there parts on hand.

Oh yeah...???

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e181/necritan/IMG_5946.jpg

sd1023x
03-04-2010, 10:40 PM
umm, thats a saiga not really an Arsenal. Arsenal Las Vegas had imported them and just converted them using there parts on hand.

Soooooo...Arsenal doesn't make them? You just tryin to be a snob?

And OP, don't spend too much, it goes against the spirit of the AK. Arsenal is great, and for the quality available and current pricing structure, a great example of an AK that'll last you generations.

Trendkill
03-04-2010, 11:51 PM

Its a "Saiga/Legion/Arsenal SGL-20"...with non important to function 922r parts to be compliant....its as Russian as it gets.

Its not a "Hacked up in my garage , wiggly-mag Saiga Hunting rifle conversion"..... mmmkay??

shooterdave
03-05-2010, 12:02 AM
^amen brother! i'd take an arsenal any day over a lancaster.

NSR500
03-05-2010, 12:14 AM
Arsenal SA M-7 is what I'd go with. The only AK if handled that felt like it was riding on bearings. There's just something about the Milled guns for me.
Although... The new Century Centurion milled AK still felt rough to me. The action almost felt like a stanmped gun.