PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor shooting in S. Cal

davetruong
01-28-2006, 1:11 PM
Does anyone know of any outdoor places to go shooting in S. Cal? Does not have to be a "range" per se. Thanks in advance

Elarski
01-29-2006, 1:52 AM
Here ya' go...

http://www.angelesranges.com/

supergimp
01-29-2006, 8:16 AM
http://www.oaktreegunclub.com

Really nice place. Voice-activated trap, skeet and sporting clays, steel plate pistol range, a couple of paper ranges (for calibers not allowed on the plates, rimfire rifles). No rifle calibers, however, bit there is a bar and grill and great pro shop.

TimG
01-30-2006, 3:42 PM
Where abouts in So. Cal are you located ??

Sheldon
01-31-2006, 2:49 AM
San Gabriel Valley Gun Club is my favorite. Burro Canyon is close to it as well. There is also Lytle Creek and the West End Gun Club off the 15 frwy.

rmeyer
01-31-2006, 11:46 AM
Here are some places. http://shooting.forsandiego.com/Ranges.html

JPglee1
01-31-2006, 11:48 AM
Take the 15FWY north like you're going to Las Vegas...

Exit Barstow Rd (HWY 247) in Barstow.... Drive down about 3 miles, you'll see a powerline road on your left... Anywhere out there is legal. To be sure you can stop at the BLM office across the street from the college (also on 247) and get a map from the nice BLM Rangers...

Totally free and you can shoot whatever you want as long as its legal.

Take it easy.

J

Drew599
02-01-2006, 8:14 PM
That's one of the many things I hate about living down in SoCal. You have to go to these places to shoot. I like to go out in the middle of the woods and have fun with my firends and brothers shooting at apples and sodas. Seems like almost everything is quite a drive to get there.

If anyone is ever up by the Tahoe area check out Mormon Emigrant Trail. There are some nice spots back there. Its off of Hwy 50. Just watch out for the LEOs out there. They aren't the nicest people. Travelle in packs and you'll be fine up there.

delloro
02-02-2006, 8:52 AM
That's one of the many things I hate about living down in SoCal. You have to go to these places to shoot....

well try shooting on publlic land in MI or OH or the midwest or east thereof. we are spoiled with our shooting access down here in So. Cal.

davetruong
02-18-2006, 1:35 PM
I'm in orange county. sorry for the delay response

nrandell
04-13-2006, 10:46 AM
I see road 2N02 at 34°16'28.25"N 116°47'11.72"W, but I don't see where the shooting area is. Have you been to any of these places? Are there any signs or anything?

Are there maps available with all these forest roads listed?

superhondaz50
04-13-2006, 11:52 AM
Gavelin Hills near Maywood gun club in Riverside.... ask around some one will tell you how to get there.

m3b
04-13-2006, 12:19 PM
nrandell, thanks for the coordinates for FR 2N02.

Haven't been there myself - a spring roadtrip is pending.

superhondaz50, do you have an address for the Maywood Gun Club? The only references I found for them mention Perris, CA.

zombieflanders
04-16-2006, 9:50 PM
I shoot off Hodge road, anbout 20 min. past Victorville on th 15. Signs say no shooting within a certain distance from the microwave tower, but just obey that & you shouldn't have any problems.

REDHORSE
05-22-2006, 6:20 PM
From the San Bernardino National Forest website (http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/recreation/target/index.shtml),

their designated areas for target shooting include:

Forest Road 1N09 East of Highway 330 (34°10'36.71"N, 117° 9'15.58"W),

Forest Road 3N14 North of Highway 38,

Forest Road 2N02 East of Baldwin Lake Road, (34°16'45.97"N, 116°47'46.44"W) - thanks nrandell

Forest Road 5S07 (& 5S06) North of Highway 74 (33°43'18.33"N, 116°48'3.03"W).

The longitude/latitude values were obtained from Google Earth.

I couldn't locate the FR 3N14 shooting area - anyone have the long/lat values for this area?

3N14, it's on the North side of Big Bear Lake on the 38 in Fawnskin. On some maps, some sections of it may be labeled as Rim Of The World Dr & Coxey Truck Trail.

On some old US Forestry maps I had, the shooting area was closer to the Big Pine Flats area of the 3N14.
(3N14 starts at: 34°16'28.06"N 116°57'6.46"W 3N14 goes all the way to Big Pine Flats: 34°19'10.55"N 117° 0'37.10"W)
http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/8422/sbfmainmap7yo.th.jpg (http://img48.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sbfmainmap7yo.jpg)

I also marked a few shooting areas off 2N02: Arrastre #1 & #2. I haven't been there in years. But, I did go out exploring some of these areas. Kind of a long drive to get to these small areas.
I have a second way of getting to 2N02, that may be a shortcut. (34°16'7.17"N 116°46'17.69"W)
http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/3418/arrastre2cn.th.jpg (http://img48.imageshack.us/my.php?image=arrastre2cn.jpg)

I also marked off Lightning Gulch off the 2N93. There were other target shooting spots marked on the maps. But, they were closed off in 1999 do to a recent fire.
(34°10'28.47"N 116°45'11.94"W)
http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/9967/lightninggulch4us.th.jpg (http://img48.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lightninggulch4us.jpg)

1N09 The 18 or so authorized shooting spots off 1N09 starts off at these coordinates: (34°10'4.58"N 117° 8'7.62"W) The 1999 map below shows a much larger area available to target shooting, than there is today. They have have reduced the area in size and have even restricted a few areas within the zone to target shooting. The authorized shooting areas are well marked with large signs.
http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/733/1n094zx.th.jpg (http://img48.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1n094zx.jpg)
Rules:

http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/1562/sbtargetshootingrules1of23tj.jpg
http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/9370/sbtargetshootingrules2of26kk.jpg

Remember these are scans of maps I got from the US Forestry in 1999. They're rather old and I'm not 'positive' if they're still legit shooting areas. They look to be all OK from the US Forestry website link m3b posted, they still look valid today. But, call ahead of time to verify from the US Forestry.

I have these areas marked (GPS coordinates an all) in my Google Earth thread further down in my post.

==================================

I started posting shooting areas via Google Earth.

I could use some help adding spots to the database. I have a thread here if anyone wants to help: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=299350&posted=1#post299350

I have the placemarks catagorized as:
Indoor ranges
Outdoor ranges
Outdoor - unregulated shooting areas.

For those shooting in authorized unregulated target shooting areas, PLEASE find your spots via Google Earth and post the GPS coordinates.

It's really easy to do, and you don't have to drive out there to get the GPS coordinates. You can just do it from your home computer. I have instructions on how to get the GPS coordinates from Google Earth on the link above.

glen avon
05-22-2006, 6:33 PM
Gavelin Hills near Maywood gun club in Riverside.... ask around some one will tell you how to get there.

gavilan hills.... that's in the western zone of Riv Co, so no shooting, if I am correct.

here is the Riv. Co. shooting ordinance: http://www.clerkoftheboard.co.riverside.ca.us/ords/500/514.htm

cornholio1
05-29-2006, 6:57 PM
Anything in North Berdoo? I don't want to drive to Manzanita flats. Thats tooo far with all the rough terrain. Hafta drive 2 miles in to get a shooting spot. Not worth it

glen avon
05-30-2006, 8:18 AM
there are some shooting areas in the mountains around big bear.

desert shooting begins at barstow, as the shotgun only zone begins at the nat'l forest boundary.

where in berdoo are you?

bunghole.

JPglee1
05-30-2006, 9:47 AM
I shoot off Hodge road, anbout 20 min. past Victorville on th 15. Signs say no shooting within a certain distance from the microwave tower, but just obey that & you shouldn't have any problems.

I thought hodge was closed, thats what the BLM told me... So you're saying you can shoot legally on the WEST side of the 15fwy? I live in Victorville and it's a lot closer to go to Hodge then it is to go all the way to 247 outside of Barstow.

Good post.

J

REDHORSE
05-30-2006, 1:59 PM
Yea, I do beleive hodge road (West of 15 fwy) is closed to shooting or it was moved further down.

zombieflanders
05-31-2006, 12:13 PM
I was just off the west side of Hodge about 5 weeks ago, and had no problems. Didn't see any new signs, & plenty of people were shooting. I plan on making the trip out there in the next few weeks. Will update.

REDHORSE
05-31-2006, 12:34 PM
I hear conflicting news regarding that Hodge Road shooting spot all the time. So, I'm not sure what the real status is.

I've done some internet searches and found some interesting articles about the area before, regarding target shooting. I'm having problems finding some of them now, but will post links when I find them again.

Here is an old article from Desert Dispatch newspaper:

Tuesday, September 2, 2003
High Desert gun owners no longer can shoot at Hodge Road
BLM proposes to increase open shooting areas

By JAMES RAMAGE/Staff Writer

VICTORVILLE -- It used to be that if you owned a gun in the High Desert and didn't want to pay for target practice, you could go to an area just west of Interstate 15 between Victorville and Barstow and blast away to your heart's content.

Gun owners said the area, just off the Hodge Road exit, had been open for years as an informal, public shooting range.

Not anymore.

Dozens of signs scattered around the Hodge Road site greeted Dan Harley, a recreational shooter from Apple Valley, when he ventured there last month to do some shooting. The signs warn people not to shoot there and to stay off the land.

"Where's a legal place to shoot?" Harley asked in apparent frustration. "Over the past couple of years, we used to be able to go out into the desert and shoot guns. We traveled an hour total, out and back, to get there."

As far as legal shooting areas go, a San Bernardino County ordinance divides its land into areas where one can fire shotguns only, and areas where one can fire "solid" projectiles, such as bullets, according to Barry Nelson, chief ranger at the Bureau of Land Management's Barstow Field Office.

While shotguns expel a spray of pellet-sized projectiles no more than 100 yards, bullets can travel farther than a mile, Nelson said, making any errant shots dangerous.

Nelson said the Hodge Road site was public land up until several years ago, when Western American Services of Woodland Hills gained ownership of it in a land exchange with the BLM. The company left the land unchanged until a microwave communications tower was recently constructed nearby, Nelson said, and the warning signs quickly followed.

As a result, the BLM thought that it could do something about the dearth of open spaces for shooting.

"We felt that the existing no-projectile zone was too restrictive," Nelson said.

Working with the California Department of Fish and Game, and the County Fish and Game Commission, the BLM drew up a proposal in late July to reduce the size of the area covered by the county's shotgun-only ordinance.

Ultimately, the commission must approve the proposal, Nelson said.

The current shotgun-only ordinance's northernmost boundary is Highway 58, extending from Hinkley Road west to the Los Angeles County line, Nelson said. The proposed change would drop the boundary southwards to Shadow Mountain Road -- opening up miles of wide-open areas with safe backdrops for projectile-shooting weapons use.

But until a convenient new site becomes available, many who want to do some target shooting somewhere will have to pay to for it.

The Apple Valley Gun Club has already seen a profit from the Hodge Road site closing. They've reported an increase in business on weekends, when the club is open to non-members, and charges each adult shooter $7 a day, according to overseer Homer Keith.

"There's nothing around," he said. "A lot of people have joined up with us as a result of the closing."

JPglee1
05-31-2006, 6:26 PM
I was just off the west side of Hodge about 5 weeks ago, and had no problems. Didn't see any new signs, & plenty of people were shooting. I plan on making the trip out there in the next few weeks. Will update.

Give us some notice, we got strength in numbers and I'd love to meet a Calguns.net person to plink with. I got an SKS and a FAL and I will let you shoot either as much as you wanna feed 'em!

Thanks for the info, I'm still not sure Hodge is 100% open/legal...

J

superhondaz50
05-31-2006, 6:38 PM
superhondaz50, do you have an address for the Maywood Gun Club? The only references I found for them mention Perris, CA.
No i dont have the adress, ive only ben there once as its a private club, invitation only. I shoot on some land a few miles back from Maywood.

gavilan hills.... that's in the western zone of Riv Co, so no shooting, if I am correct.

here is the Riv. Co. shooting ordinance: http://www.clerkoftheboard.co.riverside.ca.us/ords/500/514.htm
Well theres 2 gun clubs back there, Maywood and the Rock pile, so its no biggie, I shoot back there alot.

cornholio1
05-31-2006, 7:18 PM
there are some shooting areas in the mountains around big bear.

desert shooting begins at barstow, as the shotgun only zone begins at the nat'l forest boundary.

where in berdoo are you?

bunghole.

north berdoo. where r u located?

AS45-70
05-31-2006, 8:08 PM
I am not familar with the area but i was told i can shoot off 395 on the right side by mile marker 30 or something like that. A mile or two away fromt he road then are some hills. Its like the 15 East to 395 past adalento on the right at mile marker 30. I am not sure of the name of this location, nor if its really legal. My friend says its ok but i wanna make sure before i take my OLL out.

Does this location ring anybells to anyone ? is it legal to shoot my OLL at this location ?

what do ya think ?

50 Shooter
05-31-2006, 10:03 PM
AS,
Be careful, South of the 58 is listed as a shotgun only area around Kramer Jct. This is where Hwy 395 & Hwy 58 come together and extends out East & West for a few miles, stay North of the 58 and you'll be okay. You can go out in the hills by Hinkley, just don't drink the water.:p

JPglee1
06-01-2006, 8:47 AM
is it legal to shoot my OLL at this location ?

what do ya think ?

There's a place to shoot off 395 but its NORTH of Hwy 58 out near Red Mountain....

IMHO I would only take an OLL out WAY FAR into the desert where your chances of a LEO or other person encounter are reduced. OLL is still pretty grey area and I can bet a San Berdoo County Sheriff won't know jack about OLL's and their legalities, he'll just hook n book you for the DA to deal with.

I like to shoot off 247 (Barstow Road) off the 15fwy because I NEVER see ANYONE out there.

Good luck.

JP

AS45-70
06-01-2006, 1:40 PM
Im in Mission Viejo and looking for a legal spot, sounds like the area i was told to shoot is iffy. I would rather error on the side of caution.

Looks like im driving a bit further then to be safe, are any of the areas you guys mentioned better than the other or are they about the same. I know barstow road but how far are you driving on it and do you just pick a spot or do they like an area most ppl use ?

or is the hinkly location better? No clue where hinkley is at all. Any shade at these spots or is it bring your own ?

I am planning a trip on the 24th or 25th so i gotta figure out where to go now my spot has been called "iffy". I will also pass along that shotgun only info to my friend who does shoot there.

thx for the help im trying to plan it out well to make it a fun trip for us. Of course i cant do anything unless i lock in a location first. All i do know is that is gonna be HOT.

glen avon
06-01-2006, 1:48 PM
why not go to lytle creek?

50 Shooter
06-01-2006, 2:03 PM
Hinkley is located off Hwy 58 about halfway between Kramer Jct. and Barstow, you can shoot out in the hills out there. Look at a map for Fremont Peak, Black Mtn. or Harper Dry Lake in that area.

http://www.blm.gov/ca/barstow/harper.html
http://www.blm.gov/ca/pa/wildlife/watchable/areas/harper.html

AS45-70
06-01-2006, 2:06 PM
why not go to lytle creek?

Its ok to shoot OLL there ? Also we have a couple of bolt actions and we want to do some longer range shooting with. Id like to try some 600 or so yards with them this time. I thought my best option was to pick some remote area and shoot rather than go the creek again.

It was a free for all last time i was there. I would have got shot if i went down range to post a target beyond 150yrds.

unless things are different now i will pass on the creek.

50 Shooter
06-01-2006, 2:27 PM
The Creek is now a regulated range with RO's, cease fires are called about once an hour. The range only goes out to 300 yards, it's okay if you want to zero a rifle. If you want to do any long range stuff you'll have to find a range that's longer or drive out to the desert.

There's Desert Marksman if you want to become a member www.dmrpc.org you can camp out there also. Range goes out to 600 yards and 1000 on months that have a 5th Sunday.

glen avon
06-01-2006, 2:53 PM
I highly dout anybody at lytle creek (which is totally changed) will care. you can rapid fire as fast as you want from the shoulder, shoot your own targets, etc. very nice place, all it needs is some shade.

Nahuatl
06-01-2006, 3:16 PM
While some are still shooting around the microwave tower, I wouldn't reccommend it. Drive up the middle road to the pipeline and make a left. About a half mile west there are some excellent spots on the left against the hillside. We held a big club meeting BBQ in December, and a couple of weeks ago, a nightfire competition.

AS45-70
06-01-2006, 3:28 PM
Thx for the tips and info i should be able to pick a place from whats been posted here.

We prefer a private area to do what we want, no other shooters and no RO. Looks like there will be 4 or 5 of us and one completely new shooter, my boss' son. I feel like a road trip anyway and we need more than 300 yrds for some of the shooters.

I like the SGVGC but its just not gonna fit our needs this time around. Looks like LC is now an option also.

dizza
07-06-2006, 9:43 PM
Heading out to Hodge Road this Saturday. I was checking out the area using Google Earth, and I could see all of the junk on the hillsides. Then I loaded up the newest Beta for GE, viewed the area again, and in the new version the hills look like nothing is on them anymore. Did someone clean it up or is it officially a no-shoot area now? I usually just drive off that asphalt road, head to the right, go around the hill and start shooting.

-d

Nefarious
07-07-2006, 8:42 AM
Living in San Diego... it seems I have a nice drive ahead of me :D
My first AR is comming soon.... and im going to be itching to test her out

glen avon
07-07-2006, 9:17 AM
in SD go to orozco ridge, not far.

glockk9mm
07-09-2006, 7:11 PM
what would be the closest place to shoot high powered rifles not allowed in indoor ranges for someone living in L.A.?

50 Shooter
07-09-2006, 9:40 PM
www.angelesranges.com

maschronic
07-12-2006, 12:06 AM
Thx for the tips and info i should be able to pick a place from whats been posted here.

We prefer a private area to do what we want, no other shooters and no RO. Looks like there will be 4 or 5 of us and one completely new shooter, my boss' son. I feel like a road trip anyway and we need more than 300 yrds for some of the shooters.

I like the SGVGC but its just not gonna fit our needs this time around. Looks like LC is now an option also.

AS45,

i'm in irvine. i'm heading out on july 22 or 23 with some friends to barstow. i'm going to shoot where JP recommended. i'll let you know how that place is. i totally agree with you about shooting where there are no one else around. i dont' mind bringing my own shade. to me, if it means bringing a little more stuff to get comfortable, its far enough where people will not come around.

glen avon
07-12-2006, 8:01 AM
shade or not it's going to be 110 degrees. even in the shade. if you are not used to such heat, you may be surprised.

maschronic
07-12-2006, 8:34 AM
shade or not it's going to be 110 degrees. even in the shade. if you are not used to such heat, you may be surprised.

i love the dry heat. as long as its not humid. dry heat. i can do just fine!!!