PDA

View Full Version : Just moved to L.A.: Greetings and Questions about declaring my handgun ownership

Angry_Lobster
03-02-2010, 3:56 PM
Hi everyone. Introductions first: I'm a prop builder and gunsmith who's just moved to Los Angeles County to start working in a large prop company. I've spent a lot of time building guns for personal use and for use in movies, and I'm here to take the next step in that career. Spent a lot of time on New England gun forum Northeastshooters.com, as well as plenty of time on Rugerforum.com and in TFR on the Something Awful Forums.

Now for my questions: as I said, I'm a gun owner who's just moved here. I plan on filling out the forms that I'm required to send to the ATF declaring my ownership of firearms this week: I'm declaring two handguns, both single action target revolvers. But I've got some questions about the process.

First, the deadline is 60 days from the time when you establish residency. What exactly entails establishing residency? Do you have to have your CA drivers license, or just have received mail in the state? I ask because I haven't been able to get a CA drivers license yet, but I've been receiving mail at a CA address for over 6 months, as I registered my car here before I actually moved here: I arrived in CA permanently just over a month ago, but I flew out here to buy a car here in September. I'm concerned that since the DMV considers receiving mail in CA as proof of Residency, that the ATF will as well, thus making me technically beyond the deadline even though I didn't actually live or have firearms in California until a month ago. Either way, I'll be getting my CA drivers license within the next week or two: I'm just waiting on a replacement birth certificate. I just want to make sure I'm not breaking the law in any way.

My second question: One of my single actions is a custom revolver that, when I bought it, had a 7.5 inch barrel on it. However I upgraded to a 9 inch bull barrel. The gun is otherwise mechanically more or less the same as it was, barring a few minor improvements. I'm wondering if the ATF is going to care about this? On their records, it probably still says the gun has a 7.5 inch barrel; on the form I fill out to declare my CA ownership of this gun, it will say it has a 9 inch barrel. Will this be a problem? Should I call the ATF and ask them to update their records or will they care about a couple inches added to a barrel?

Colt-45
03-02-2010, 4:38 PM
Hi welcome to Calguns!

Here in California the ATF isn't who you should worry about. It's the CA DOJ. Of course all the laws of the ATF apply here but the CA DOJ has a big set of it's own.

jester
03-02-2010, 5:02 PM
I'm sure you will find the answers to your questioins here, just keep an eye on the forum!

nick
03-02-2010, 6:42 PM
Not sure about the first question; just send the form in.

As for the second question, it's your gun, and you can modify it in any way you want, provided it's legal. Changing the barrel like that is legal. So, no problem there.

mrlonewolf
03-02-2010, 7:54 PM
Welcome to Calguns.

Angry_Lobster
03-06-2010, 10:53 AM
Welcome to Calguns Thanks everyone! Glad to be here.

Not sure about the first question; just send the form in.

As for the second question, it's your gun, and you can modify it in any way you want, provided it's legal. Changing the barrel like that is legal. So, no problem there.

Alright: I guess I'll just call the DOJ and ask them about the first question then. It's probably the safest bet. As for the second part, I guess I'll just put the current barrel length on the form and if there's any trouble I have plenty of records to show when the modification was made, etc.

minuteman
03-06-2010, 11:18 AM
Welcome to the board, heh let me know if you want an apprentice!!

lorax3
03-06-2010, 11:43 AM
In most cases you would need to register your handguns within 60 days if you are coming here as a resident. The 60 day clock starts when the handguns move into the state, not you. I would not be concerned with late registration.

Not sure if I missed the reason you are coming here, but if you are on orders from an Armed military service to be stationed here you are not considered a resident in terms of handgun registration. The ATF would not care that you changed the barrel on any Title 1 firearm. If it was a Title 2 that required a tax stamp you should update their records.

You would need to check all of your guns against the rifle (http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf), handgun (http://www.calguns.net/caawid/hgflowchart.pdf), and shotgun (http://www.calguns.net/caawid/hgflowchart.pdf) flowcharts. The registration form can be found on the CA DOJ Website (http://www.calguns.net/caawid/hgflowchart.pdf).

Thanks for introducing yourself, in the future legal questions can be asked in this sub-forum (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=71).

glockwise2000
03-06-2010, 4:32 PM
Welcome to Calguns.

Angry_Lobster
03-06-2010, 4:36 PM
(Useful info)

Alright, thanks a bunch for clearing that up: I'll be sure to read the legal thread extensively and I'll probably cross post my question there. I doubt I'll have any issues with firearms legality: all I brought with me was 2 single action revolvers, an unmodified Remington 870 12 gauge, and an 18.5 inch barreled SxS 12 gauge coach gun. Not exactly assault weapons unless you're going by 1885's standards.

Welcome to the board, heh let me know if you want an apprentice!!

Not exactly professional enough to take on an apprentice by far, but I'd be happy to at least explain what I know to you some time.