PDA

View Full Version : S&W 340PD Trigger Work

Flying Bones
03-02-2010, 2:26 PM
Has anyone had trigger work done on a S&W 340PD?

Thoughts?

I've heard of one being done, i beleive by S&W but I never got to feel it.

liketoshoot
03-02-2010, 3:29 PM
no but I'm thinking about it to.

9mmepiphany
03-02-2010, 8:20 PM
do yourself a favor, support a CA FFL and get a better action on that J-frame by sending it to Randy Lee of Apex Tactical in Morro Bat

Randy does the some of the best work available on the S&W action...the factory only wishes they could do the work he puts out

Flying Bones
03-03-2010, 9:18 AM
do yourself a favor, support a CA FFL and get a better action on that J-frame by sending it to Randy Lee of Apex Tactical in Morro Bat

Randy does the some of the best work available on the S&W action...the factory only wishes they could do the work he puts out

Do you own some of his work? I'm not opposed to going elsewhere. Do you have ballpark pricing?

zipman5150
03-03-2010, 10:49 AM
I Did the trigger job on mine...
much nicer. only thing, do not take off to much material, or polish to much... it is only case hardened... Polished wolf springs really helped

Flying Bones
03-03-2010, 1:14 PM
I Did the trigger job on mine...
much nicer. only thing, do not take off to much material, or polish to much... it is only case hardened... Polished wolf springs really helped

I've always done my AR's but this one worries me. Nice to know about the wolf springs. Where'd you pick those up?

9mmepiphany
03-03-2010, 2:21 PM
Do you own some of his work? I'm not opposed to going elsewhere. Do you have ballpark pricing?

Randy did a M-696 for me and it has an excellent carry trigger.

my M-642 had it's trigger done previously by another smith and he didn't think it cold be improved enough to justify the cost of opening it up.

his competition L-frame and N-frame that i've shot have been unbelievable...this from an old PPC shooter, who used to shoot Powers and Davis bull barrel guns.

he currently has a M-66 in the shop for some action work...got an e-mail the other day that they were almost done and the DA is about 6.5lbs. i'm planning this as a carry gun.

you'll have to call the shop for pricing, i didn't ask when i gave them my M-66

zipman5150
03-03-2010, 10:51 PM
I've always done my AR's but this one worries me. Nice to know about the wolf springs. Where'd you pick those up?

Direct from wolf. J frame Spring Set... I just polished all the edges....

9mmepiphany
03-03-2010, 10:56 PM
polishing and a change of springs is a good start, but really improving the action of a J-frame has to do with proper alignment of the moving parts...headspace and such

my cylinder, when in the open position, spins like it's on ball bearings...the last M-340 i handled, not so much so

Flying Bones
03-04-2010, 8:14 PM
polishing and a change of springs is a good start, but really improving the action of a J-frame has to do with proper alignment of the moving parts...headspace and such

my cylinder, when in the open position, spins like it's on ball bearings...the last M-340 i handled, not so much so

I hear what you are saying...how do you acheive this? Like I said, i tinker on $30 AR triggers and they turn out really nice, but i'm not sure i'm up for all that you're talking about. So how does one get it done?

9mmepiphany
03-04-2010, 8:40 PM
So how does one get it done?
i send my revolvers to Randy Lee

i once read the procedure...i think it was an interview with Ron Power in American Handgunner...i was really interested in pre-timing the cylinder.

i sort of understood setting the headspace (as opposed to the cylinde gap), but when he got into welding and using a Q-tip and lead babbit to straighten the crane...it was way over my head

nn3453
03-04-2010, 8:44 PM
i send my revolvers to Randy Lee

I try to make the 2.5hr drive each way to see him in person when I need work done. Great guy to talk to face to face as well. He worked on my 625 and met me at the range after the work was done to make sure that it would work with my reloads.

Doheny
03-04-2010, 8:46 PM
Has anyone had trigger work done on a S&W 340PD?

I'm considering getting it done to my 642 by a guy in Corona who specializes in Smith revolvers and 1911s. IIRC a typical j-frame is about 12 pounds out of the box, he takes it down to about 7ish.

He does great work...a number of cops for Corona PD have him work on their 1911s (he worked on mine.)

His name is Will...others here will vouch for his work...he did a great job on my 1911 and I'm sure his revolver work is just as good. PM me if you want his number.

Flying Bones
03-05-2010, 6:34 PM
Are any of these guys near Sacramento?