PDA

View Full Version : Sig P220 vs P220 Combat

cwiz
03-02-2010, 1:50 PM
Shot both of these at the range this weekend, definitely my fav .45 so far. I prefered the combat because it had a 10rd magazine and was really fun to manage with the extra long grip (magazine hanges a few inches out the bottom). I was trying to figure out why I like it better besides the reduced recoil on my right wrist because i could hold it lower on the grip with my left. Is it my imagination or is the trigger better on the combat? I like the coloring on the combat alil better but it seemed to shoot better.

it doesnt say exactly what is different on the website, just that its more rugged and it was going to be a mil-spec pistol. anybody got the gritty details on these pistols?

CA_SHARPSHOOTER
03-02-2010, 3:50 PM
Shot both of these at the range this weekend, definitely my fav .45 so far. I prefered the combat because it had a 10rd MAGAZINE and was really fun to manage with the extra long grip (magazine hanges a few inches out the bottom). I was trying to figure out why I like it better besides the reduced recoil on my right wrist because i could hold it lower on the grip with my left. Is it my imagination or is the trigger better on the combat? I like the coloring on the combat alil better but it seemed to shoot better.

it doesnt say exactly what is different on the website, just that its more rugged and it was going to be a mil-spec pistol. anybody got the gritty details on these pistols?

FIXED IT FOR YA :cool:

sigfan91
03-02-2010, 3:57 PM

P220 Combat has chromed barrel, phosphate interior, short trigger (which might be more comfortable for you), true 1913 rail, and standard night sight. It's a very nice gun, but I still prefer my plain Jane West German P220 with thinner trigger.

Jonathan Doe
03-02-2010, 5:21 PM
I like P220. As a matter of fact, I bought a P220R with SRT, night sights and slim grip about 3 weeks ago.:thumbsup:

cwiz
03-03-2010, 8:48 AM
fixed it sharpshooter:rolleyes:

sigfan91, by shorter trigger do you mean a shorter trigger pull or literally a shorter trigger? The combat seemed to have a cleaner trigger break. Pretty much the same amount of force though

sigfan91
03-03-2010, 9:15 AM
fixed it sharpshooter:rolleyes:

sigfan91, by shorter trigger do you mean a shorter trigger pull or literally a shorter trigger? The combat seemed to have a cleaner trigger break. Pretty much the same amount of force though

Short trigger for Sig is actually a real, literal, shorter trigger. If you compare the photo of a stock P220 to a P220 Combat, you will see the trigger on the Combat is much thinner from the side. Supposedly some people like it because they have shorter fingers or smaller hands. I have long fingers and don't care much for the short trigger.

There is a "short reset trigger" (SRT) option on Sig pistols. That's an internal modification to make the reset shorter. The parts are usually restricted to Sig armorer sales only. They occasionally pop up on Sigforum for sale.

There might be a way to shorten the "creep" of the trigger before it breaks. But that might be a modification by gunsmith.

cwiz
03-03-2010, 9:19 AM
gotcha. thanks for the clarification sigfan

is the 'real 1913 slide' that big of a difference? Can i really justify a ~$300 premium for some dolled up green color and durable coating...

Sheepdog1968
03-03-2010, 10:06 AM
I've got the standard Sig P220. It's by far my favorite pistol. I think they call them the classics now or something like that. I got it a two or three years ago. I have 9,000 rounds through it and it's worked great. If I were to do it again, I might go with the all stainless as it's a bit heavier (not a carry gun) so would have even a bit less recoil.

As for your situation, I'd get whatever one you really want and like. They are all good. You might as get the one that makes you the happiest. Keep in mind, a $300 price difference is the equivalent to about 1,000 rounds at Walmart prices. In no time at all you will spend much more money on ammo that the actual cost of the gun.

cwiz
03-03-2010, 10:20 AM
Another question about the P220 carry SAO... Is that a safety behind the slide release? http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=37&productid=139

sigfan91
03-03-2010, 12:44 PM
gotcha. thanks for the clarification sigfan

is the 'real 1913 slide' that big of a difference? Can i really justify a ~$300 premium for some dolled up green color and durable coating...

By itself, the "true 1913 rail" is not worth the price premium. What you are really paying for is the phosphate internal components, the chrome lined barrel, and the nightsight. Phosphate coated internal components resist rusting better than regular components. Some people carry these pistols in humid and high salt area like Florida. I've read on Sigforum that one guy fell into sea water doing whatever he was doing. He literally ran back to his truck, took out a can of WD40, and doused his Sig with it. Sea water does nasty things to regular steel pistols. P220 Combat passed a 10 day salt spray test used by the military, as claimed on the website.

Another question about the P220 carry SAO... Is that a safety behind the slide release? http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=37&productid=139

Yes, that is a safety. All Sig single action only pistols have a manual safety. All Sig double action only pistols lack a decocker.

cineski
03-03-2010, 1:04 PM
Doesn't sound like you're holding it correctly. Your hands should be just about vertically equal on the grip.

Shot both of these at the range this weekend, definitely my fav .45 so far. I prefered the combat because it had a 10rd magazine and was really fun to manage with the extra long grip (magazine hanges a few inches out the bottom). I was trying to figure out why I like it better besides the reduced recoil on my right wrist because i could hold it lower on the grip with my left. Is it my imagination or is the trigger better on the combat? I like the coloring on the combat alil better but it seemed to shoot better.

wu_dot_com
03-03-2010, 2:01 PM
By itself, the "true 1913 rail" is not worth the price premium. What you are really paying for is the phosphate internal components, the chrome lined barrel, and the nightsight. Phosphate coated internal components resist rusting better than regular components. Some people carry these pistols in humid and high salt area like Florida. I've read on Sigforum that one guy fell into sea water doing whatever he was doing. He literally ran back to his truck, took out a can of WD40, and doused his Sig with it. Sea water does nasty things to regular steel pistols. P220 Combat passed a 10 day salt spray test used by the military, as claimed on the website.

you have to take the 240 days salt spray test with a grain of salt. the mil-std-810 for the salt spray test only specify the testing condition. it does not however, establish a passing criteria. so what it means is that if the passing criteria is set so the P220 will pass a fictional test after the salt spray, it will not guarantee that the gun will not develop rust.

the 240 hours salt spray is not really that server, and the salt spray actually goes in cycle. what happens during the test is that the guns will be placed in a chamber where the temperature, humidity, and salt solution spray (amount of sodium is control by weight) is controlled. The solution is spray for 5 min then stopped for 25 min. the test will continue in this cycles while they rotate the gun every so often.