PDA

View Full Version : problems with vortex strikefire red dot

beastmode
03-02-2010, 1:51 PM
Just got my vortex red dot sight for my ar and the dot is real smudgy. Anyone experience this with the vortex strikefire. It looks like a triangle is coming out of the center of the dot. How hard is it to make a clean circle red dot if that is what your company does...idiots.

telcolineman
03-02-2010, 2:03 PM
I have one, Have not had any problems with it

aplinker
03-02-2010, 2:10 PM
Well, my money is on it's either your eyes (astigmatism) or the way you're looking at it (trying to look directly at the dot).

Get a piece of paper (preferably black) and cut an ~1.5mm round hole in it. Go to the window. Look out at a distant object. Now bring the Vortex in front of your eye, still looking at the distant object. How does it look? Now, take the piece of paper and put it in front of your eye, looking through the hole. How does the dot look? Did it improve?

Bagelthief
03-02-2010, 2:12 PM
Maybe its your eyes? Iv heard of people complaining about Eotechs in the same way...most of the time it turns out to be the person...not the product. Iv never had a product from them though, so maybe it is faulty. Try getting a friend or wife to look through it and tell you how it looks. Dont bait them though and say "hey honey does this look really blurry to you???" LOL.

Hoop
03-02-2010, 3:39 PM
Could be your eyes, could be that's just how it looks. If you don't like it I'll buy it off you, I am in the market for one.

Jwood562
03-02-2010, 3:53 PM
focus on the dot it self.

have other people look at it

aplinker
03-02-2010, 4:03 PM
focus on the dot it self.

have other people look at it

you're missing a "don't"

asgalindez
03-02-2010, 4:11 PM
I think it's a combo of your eyes and the brightness of the dot. It's definitely the issue for me.

When using my Vortex Strikefire, I set the brightness to the lowest possible setting while still able to see the dot. Any brighter and the dot starts to "deform". I also look past the dot, concentrating more on the target.

railroader
03-02-2010, 4:18 PM
I think it's a combo of your eyes and the brightness of the dot. It's definitely the issue for me.

When using my Vortex Strikefire, I set the brightness to the lowest possible setting while still able to see the dot. Any brighter and the dot starts to "deform". I also look past the dot, concentrating more on the target.

I agree about the brightness. On the couple of red dots I've had the dots looked crisper if they weren't turned up too bright. I have also found that with my bifocals if I keep both eyes open the dot look cleaner. Mark

Dangerous1
03-02-2010, 4:39 PM
Well, my money is on it's either your eyes (astigmatism) or the way you're looking at it (trying to look directly at the dot).

Get a piece of paper (preferably black) and cut an ~1.5mm round hole in it. Go to the window. Look out at a distant object. Now bring the Vortex in front of your eye, still looking at the distant object. How does it look? Now, take the piece of paper and put it in front of your eye, looking through the hole. How does the dot look? Did it improve?

You can also make a small pin hole with your fingers and thumb kinda like an "OK" signal and look at the dot. Then slowly open the hole just a tiny bit at a time. If the dots start to look like grapes then you may want glasses.

Nookieaki
03-02-2010, 4:49 PM
My vortex strikefire on my ak47 works fine, red or green. I prefer green because it's more brighter, if you want to sell it I have a friend who will purchase it from you.

drifts1
03-02-2010, 5:43 PM
What they said, dont focus on the dot. My Mp Trophy is the same way. If you focus on the dot/t-reticle if gets blurry, if you focus on the target the t-reticle looks great!

b.faust
03-02-2010, 5:48 PM
I'm going to have to hop in and say "me too" when it comes to liking this optic.

It's on my girlfriends Spikes AR-22, and both of us (and a couple others) have noticed it's slightly smeared when on the highest setting.
Personally I think it's because it's so bright (especially indoors) it almost forces you to focus on it, and you end up fighting between dot and target.

I push it down to a lower setting and it's just fine. (the girl also shares this opinion)

On a side note, and since we're talking about it...
It holds a zero great on the .22, how is it doing for you folks that have it on the .223?
(or the 7.62x39 in Nookieaki's case.)

B