PDA

View Full Version : SU16CA as a trunk gun?

Toast
03-02-2010, 10:01 AM
After I finish building my AR I wanna get a cheap rifle as a trunk gun. I was thinking about the SU16CA because it's relatively cheap and can fold for storage. I heard from a few people that when folded it's small enough to fit in the spare tire well, and I was wondering if in it's folded position (it's not a rifle b/c it cannot be fired) would you still need to have it locked up? A locked trunk should count as a locked container right?

I would most likely have it sitting on top of the spare tire under the carpet/particle board cover where it wouldn't be seen. I've been searching but I couldn't really find the answer I was looking for.

ChrisO
03-02-2010, 10:07 AM
You do not need to have rifles in a locked case that is BS just no ammo near it. After all this time looking for a truck gun I have foudn that a 12 guage shotgun is the best truck gun you can get it will take care of almost any bad situation you can find yourself in. A folding stock would suit your needs well and it's cheap keep some 00buck,slugs,and bird shot handy. If you want to go the keltec route you do not need to lock it up just keep the amo in a seperate case. You could always take out the spare tire and make some type of cross bar lock to go over the top of it ... Would be easy and cheap.

Rekrab
03-02-2010, 10:42 AM
Personally I'd want something locking it down for when I park somewhere, go to a restaurant, etc...

I was also pretty sure there's no requirement to have ammo stored separately, just not in the gun and I may even be wrong about that.

ZombieTactics
03-02-2010, 10:45 AM
You might want to experiment a bit with the SU-16CA to see if it fits your purpose well. The folding stock is not exactly designed for "rapid deployment", even if you (very much recommended) replace the stock pin with a 1/4" hitch pin ... which speeds up things considerably. Folding the stock into place is a cinch, but inserting the pin is a bit of an effort. I understand that this loosens up over time, and I very much look forward to this happening!

I think it's an excellent backpack or trunk gun, but I would not count on being able to bring it into battery quickly, at least not until it is broken in.

dakobster81
03-02-2010, 10:53 AM
I was also pretty sure there's no requirement to have ammo stored separately, just not in the gun and I may even be wrong about that.

I was also pretty sure you are correct. :D

50 Freak
03-02-2010, 1:03 PM
I've thought about trunk guns for a while now.

My requirements are:
1) Reliable with minimal (I mean minimal care)
2) Good take down factor (no 22s)
3) Rapid fire capability (bolt actions are a no no, semi is perferable, lever action, okay)
4) Cheap (case my car gets stolen, I don't want to lose my registered high end AR)

Given these few criterias, I've settled on two choices:
1) SKS (cheap, good take down factor, semi)
2) Cheapy pump shotgun (cheap, GREAT take down factor, relatively quick followup shots)

My suggestions are to look for cheapy used SKS with a bunch of stripper clips or the even the Big5 870 Clone they've been selling for $200 bucks. Both will serve you well. And the low cost will allow you to equip multiple cars. Including your wife/SO, kids, etc, cause you can't guarantee you will be in your car during a SHTF scenario.

Personally I have 3 cars, so I want to make sure all three have a trunk gun.

mif_slim
03-02-2010, 1:08 PM
Folding the stock into place is a cinch, but inserting the pin is a bit of an effort. I understand that this loosens up over time, and I very much look forward to this happening!

It will. Mines slide in just as easy as the stock pin now. Thankfully the ball at the end keeps it snug and tight.

Arteel
03-02-2010, 1:13 PM
FUD. As long as the ammo isn't in a position where it can be fired from, you are fine.

To the OP, I think an su16 would make an awesome trunk gun.

You do not need to have rifles in a locked case that is BS just no ammo near it. After all this time looking for a truck gun I have foudn that a 12 guage shotgun is the best truck gun you can get it will take care of almost any bad situation you can find yourself in. A folding stock would suit your needs well and it's cheap keep some 00buck,slugs,and bird shot handy. If you want to go the keltec route you do not need to lock it up just keep the amo in a seperate case. You could always take out the spare tire and make some type of cross bar lock to go over the top of it ... Would be easy and cheap.

ChrisO
03-02-2010, 1:18 PM
FUD. As long as the ammo isn't in a position where it can be fired from, you are fine.

To the OP, I think an su16 would make an awesome trunk gun.

FUDDDD DERRRR. I was wrong but I thought ammo had to be in a different part of vehicle but thanks for telling me I'm spreading FUD :rolleyes: .

Dragunov
03-02-2010, 1:22 PM
FUDDDD DERRRR. I was wrong but I thought ammo had to be in a different part of vehicle but thanks for telling me I'm spreading FUD :rolleyes: .

What the heck is "FUD"??

Toast
03-02-2010, 1:25 PM
My car has a pretty narrow trunk so an SKS or Mini14/30 rifle would be hard to keep hidden. Maybe a shotgun would be better... I still like the idea of having a rifle though. I wouldn't mind having a featureless KISS ar15 as a trunk gun but if I ever needed to use it (hopefully never) I know that would be used against me in court.

A cheapy Mossberg 500 could work. I could mount it under the rear deck lid and put a top folding stock with a side saddle, with a speed loader next to it.

I still will probably go with the SU16 though. Or maybe both :43:

Rekrab
03-02-2010, 1:25 PM
Fear. Uncertainty. Disinformation.

It happens to the best of us.

p7m8jg
03-02-2010, 1:30 PM
Both sounds good...

Arteel
03-02-2010, 1:31 PM
I wasn't trying to be a 'doucher' (huh?), just making sure people dont get the wrong idea reading inaccurate information. Sorry for being such a douche.

Arteel
03-02-2010, 1:32 PM
Fixed it.

Fear. Uncertainty. Disinformation Doubt.

Bug Splat
03-02-2010, 1:36 PM
I would not hesitate for one second to use my SU16CA as a trunk gun. I have a very discreet unmarked case for my SU16CA. It went to one of my kids Razor scooters. Holds my SU plus optics plus a pocket for 3 30rd mags. I could walk around town with it and not raise one eyebrow.

Rekrab
03-02-2010, 1:37 PM
Bah! I always liked disinformation better.

Also, the idea of a lever action in my trunk is very appealing. Short, affordable and carries a huge punch.

1lostinspace
03-02-2010, 1:43 PM
After I finish building my AR I wanna get a cheap rifle as a trunk gun. I was thinking about the SU16CA because it's relatively cheap and can fold for storage. I heard from a few people that when folded it's small enough to fit in the spare tire well, and I was wondering if in it's folded position (it's not a rifle b/c it cannot be fired) would you still need to have it locked up? A locked trunk should count as a locked container right?

I would most likely have it sitting on top of the spare tire under the carpet/particle board cover where it wouldn't be seen. I've been searching but I couldn't really find the answer I was looking for.

Did you say junk gun or trunk gun?

ChrisO
03-02-2010, 1:50 PM
I wasn't trying to be a 'doucher' (huh?), just making sure people dont get the wrong idea reading inaccurate information. Sorry for being such a douche.

Seemed like quite a bit of sass that wasn't needed. I wasn't trying to spread FUD or stating that I was 100% correct I just knew that your long gun did not have to be locked up but THOUGHT ammo had to be kept separate. All you have to do is correct.

ChrisO
03-02-2010, 1:53 PM
Bah! I always liked disinformation better.

Also, the idea of a lever action in my trunk is very appealing. Short, affordable and carries a huge punch.

I have a Browning 92 in 44 magnum and I'll tell you one thing I would not feel underarmed with that thing in just about every situation you can think of. The only reason it isn't my current truck gun is because it's brand spanking new and I can't bring myself to mess it up. A 12 guage pump on the other hand :43: .

SDgarrick
03-02-2010, 1:56 PM
$200 Dollar 870 clone FTW. It's 200 dollars, its a pump shotgun, nothing will go wrong, as your trunk is not Afghanistan. Also the SU16 in the tire well would be awesome.

VictorFranko
03-02-2010, 2:03 PM
Yup. I have an SU-16B in a backpack that I keep in the truck.
WSHTF and I need to make my way home from wherever I am, I want as little contact with people as possible.
For close in work I keep a Glock handy.

aplinker
03-02-2010, 2:21 PM
Seemed like quite a bit of sass that wasn't needed. I wasn't trying to spread FUD or stating that I was 100% correct I just knew that your long gun did not have to be locked up but THOUGHT ammo had to be kept separate. All you have to do is correct.

It's pretty simple.

If you don't know the answer it's perfectly fine not to post.

You've been called on FUD numerous times. Just stop posting your "thoughts or feelings" about what the law "might" be until you understand what the law is. The feel free to post and perpetuate the truth.

Dirtbiker
03-02-2010, 3:09 PM
I'm partial to a pump shotgun with a pistol grip only. It can be as little as 26" overall length. They can be had for $150 and up.

Nothing against the SU16 but you'd be in your trunk gun for $400+ pretty easy.

ChrisO
03-02-2010, 3:22 PM
It's pretty simple.

If you don't know the answer it's perfectly fine not to post.

You've been called on FUD numerous times. Just stop posting your "thoughts or feelings" about what the law "might" be until you understand what the law is. The feel free to post and perpetuate the truth.

Haha glad to see your keeping a record. It's a firearm discussion board I don't need to be right and obviously I was not and I was corrected but I was not TRYING to spread false information. Like I said I didn't see the need for a attitude but it was taken care of. I will not quit posting because I was wrong and some 21 year old punk "Aplinker" says to.you can shove it :) . I also wouldn't mind seeing that little smart mouth of yours in person :rolleyes: to see if stuff rolls out of your mouth the same way it does on a keyboard. Till then just mind your own damn business it was taken care of well before you posted.

Dragunov
03-02-2010, 4:05 PM
Fear. Uncertainty. Disinformation.

Oh, thanks. Thought it was F***ED UP Disinformation.

tombinghamthegreat
03-02-2010, 4:10 PM
A used 200 dollar mossberg 500 with a pistol grip might be more idea than an overpriced plastic gun. Even SKS and Saigas are cheaper and would make a better trunk gun.

DedEye
03-03-2010, 1:38 AM
Haha glad to see your keeping a record. It's a firearm discussion board I don't need to be right

It sure does help, especially when the goal is education.

and obviously I was not and I was corrected

Thank God.

but I was not TRYING to spread false information.

Irrelevant.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions, and the road to jail is paved with misinformation.

Like I said I didn't see the need for a attitude but it was taken care of. I will not quit posting because I was wrong

He didn't ask you to quit posting, he asked you to stop posting answers that you don't know.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

and some 21 year old punk "Aplinker" says to.you can shove it :) .

He isn't 21.

I also wouldn't mind seeing that little smart mouth of yours in person :rolleyes: to see if stuff rolls out of your mouth the same way it does on a keyboard.

It does.

Till then just mind your own damn business it was taken care of well before you posted.

Please stop posting bad information.

Mac
03-03-2010, 2:41 AM
What the heck is "FUD"??

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg158/mac92310/fud.jpg

:eek:

ZombieTactics
03-03-2010, 5:32 AM
... I have a very discreet unmarked case for my SU16CA. It went to one of my kids Razor scooters. Holds my SU plus optics plus a pocket for 3 30rd mags. I could walk around town with it and not raise one eyebrow.
I love this idea! I was considering something like a trumpet ot trombone case, but this is much better.

ALSO RE AMMO: It's even perfectly legal to have both of the 10-round mags which come with the SU-16CA stowed in the stock as designed.

rugershooter
03-03-2010, 2:19 PM
I had an SKS in my vehicle for a while. I had to stop carrying it when I started going to college again. A guitar case (either soft or hard) works perfectly to hide it because I take it out when I get home and put it in whenever I go somewhere. I had a Surefire 6P light on it and an old M16 mag pouch in the guitar case with more stripper clips. I was thinking of having a gunsmith shorten the barrel down to 16.5 inches and remounting the front sight. It would be much handier like that. The main reason I chose it over a shotgun was that it's faster to load than a shotgun. Since the laws require that it must be unloaded it was a major factor for me.

Based on my limited experiance with the SU-16, I think it would be a good trunk gun.

stangallmotor
03-03-2010, 2:33 PM
PG Mossberg 500 FTW

mif_slim
03-03-2010, 2:59 PM
Originally Posted by Dragunov
What the heck is "FUD"??

Female Urinary Disorder.
LOL

k1dude
03-03-2010, 3:11 PM
The SU-16 is an excellent trunk gun. If you have pre-ban 30 rounders, you get to use them. It's fast into action, small, light, reliable, relatively inexpensive, and potent. It fits the bill perfectly. It's no battle rifle, but for an emergency trunk gun, who cares? Something is always better than nothing.

TZL
03-03-2010, 3:43 PM
I have a hidden AR15 in my trunk, in two pieces, put them together, push the two pins in, pop in a mag, GTG....

mif_slim
03-03-2010, 4:22 PM
I have a hidden AR15 in my trunk, in two pieces, put them together, push the two pins in, pop in a mag, GTG....

Wait, you pop in the mag without loading the mag?? Haha according to the law, if you have a mag loaded with no gun present, it's still concider a loads gun. Well, LE will say it is.

stix213
03-03-2010, 4:25 PM
You do not need to have rifles in a locked case that is BS just no ammo near it.

^^^ This is not entirely true in that Federal law requires firearms to be in a locked container or locked rack when traveling through a school zone. For most cities/towns it is difficult to travel through them without going through one. (Except if your firearm was manufactured in California and never had any connections to out of state commerce, good luck cause I'm pretty sure if you even bought ammo for it from out of state then your firearm has already affected interstate commerce)

(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.
(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—
(iii) that is—
(I) not loaded; and
(II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/usc_sec_18_00000922----000-.html

aplinker
03-03-2010, 4:50 PM
OP: there's no reason an SU16 isn't an acceptable trunk gun. It's a bit expensive, not super rugged, and a bit "black" to be non-conspicuous... but, if a semi-auto mid-caliber cartridge is what you're looking for, you could do worse.

To me, a trunk gun should be cheap, reliable, simple, and easily replaceable. It's a shame there are essentially no cheap (<$300) non-bullet button mutilated centerfire semi-autos.

Just to add to the below... a locked trunk is a locked container, but it's spot on.

^^^ This is not entirely true in that Federal law requires firearms to be in a locked container or locked rack when traveling through a school zone. For most cities/towns it is difficult to travel through them without going through one. (Except if your firearm was manufactured in California and never had any connections to out of state commerce, good luck cause I'm pretty sure if you even bought ammo for it from out of state then your firearm has already affected interstate commerce)

(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.
(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearmó
(iii) that isó
(I) not loaded; and
(II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/usc_sec_18_00000922----000-.html

TZL
03-03-2010, 5:44 PM
Simply not true....

[QUOTE=mif_slim;3899887]....if you have a mag loaded with no gun present, it's still concider a loads gun. ....QUOTE]

mif_slim
03-03-2010, 6:00 PM
Simply not true....

[QUOTE=mif_slim;3899887]....if you have a mag loaded with no gun present, it's still concider a loads gun. ....QUOTE]
If it's not then I want you to tell it to the court that took my cusins mag and destroyed it for being loaded without a firearm presnt. We went a fought the case but lost because thy cincidered it a loaded weapon.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
03-03-2010, 6:13 PM
Until someone comes up with a folding Saiga that doesn't require a bullet button to comply with our screwed up firearms laws, your SU16 will do fine as a trunk rifle. I'd think about a locking case bolted to the inside if the trunk if possible, not for legality (not required), but to keep curious valets' hands off my trunk rifle and to keep it from bouncing around in the trunk. That wouldn't do any firearm any good.

Trendkill
03-03-2010, 6:30 PM
[QUOTE=TZL;3900440]Simply not true....

If it's not then I want you to tell it to the court that took my cusins mag and destroyed it for being loaded without a firearm presnt. We went a fought the case but lost because thy cincidered it a loaded weapon.

So....what was he convicted of exactly..???

mif_slim
03-03-2010, 7:01 PM
He was convicted for carrying a "loaded" firearm while during archery hunting. Firearm was not present and was at camp, but because of the loaded mag, it was confescated and destroyed.

Trendkill
03-03-2010, 9:35 PM
He was convicted for carrying a "loaded" firearm while during archery hunting. Firearm was not present and was at camp, but because of the loaded mag, it was confescated and destroyed.

Are there laws regarding carrying ammo of any kind while hunting during "Archery" season..???