PDA

View Full Version : Any "Big 5" pros here?

SVPRApps
03-02-2010, 9:10 AM
Big 5 as in the shoe store

Well they have this deal going on with Mossbergs as usual I was wondering which models are they selling or are they both 500s with one with 2 barrels?

MOSSBERG 28” VENT RIB 12-GA. PUMP SHOTGUN COMBO OR 12-GA. 8-SHOT SHORT BARREL PUMP SHOTGUN
With 18" Extra Barrel
• HANDLES 2" OR 3" SHELLS
• WITH SECURITY CABLE
OR
• LIGHTWEIGHT SYNTHETIC STOCK & FOREARM

http://big5sportinggoods.shoplocal.com/big5/default.aspx?action=detail&flashbrowse=y&storeid=2503823&pagenumber=2&listingid=-2087800095&ref=%2fbig5%2fdefault.aspx%3faction%3dbrowsepagefl ash%26storeid%3d2503823%26pagenumber%3d2%26promoti oncode%3DBig5-100228

I'm guessing the 2 barrel deal would be best so you can sell it off when you get it or something.

Just looking for a shotgun that can take any kind of loads (in before 'thats what she said' references)

Chuntsman949
03-02-2010, 9:23 AM
i have the 2 barrel deal yes it is a 500, it comes plugged for 3 shots, but that comes out easy. I got it for 260 at xmas time. I take it skeet shooting and it does well, it also serves it purpose of HD with the 18 inch.

djleisure
03-02-2010, 9:24 AM
Yeah, both 500's of some variety. You are basically choosing between interchangeable barrels w/ 5-shot capacity or just the single barrel, but 8-shot capacity. So, if you are not going to be duck hunting (or skeet shooting) and you want this primarily for a HD gun, then get the 8-shot version. I've had one of those 500a's for a long time and it's a great gun.

Also, FYI - there is a shotgun forum on here as well - this should probably be in there. ;)

SVPRApps
03-02-2010, 9:28 AM
Yeah, both 500's of some variety. You are basically choosing between interchangeable barrels w/ 5-shot capacity or just the single barrel, but 8-shot capacity. So, if you are not going to be duck hunting (or skeet shooting) and you want this primarily for a HD gun, then get the 8-shot version. I've had one of those 500a's for a long time and it's a great gun.

Also, FYI - there is a shotgun forum on here as well - this should probably be in there. ;)

faster response here :p, i'm heading out to the store in a few minutes it opens at 10

well isn't there a wood dowel in the 5 shot version that can easily be removed?

the only ducks i will be shooting is clay pigeons, i'm not really a hunter

SJgunguy24
03-02-2010, 9:33 AM
I thought saying "Big 5" and "pro" together was blasphemy. Those idiots can't even get somebody who knows what line you need to sign on when you pick up your gun.

Bug Splat
03-02-2010, 9:35 AM
Moss 500 is well built and a very reliable shotgun. Buddy owns one and while the fit and finish isn't as nice as the Rem 870's, it always goes bang and that's what important.

SVPRApps
03-02-2010, 9:35 AM
I thought saying "Big 5" and "pro" together was blasphemy. Those idiots can't even get somebody who knows what line you need to sign on when you pick up your gun.

ah that's why i stopped shopping there for my gun needs. i have calguns and PPT from now on, but on this site its like first come first serve so just gotta keep looking out for the good deals.

but i mean a moss500 is basic, i figure i'll pick it up from there

Dragunov
03-02-2010, 10:50 AM
I won't buy firearms at Big5 anymore. Bought a Marlin 795 a couple of years ago, took it home and it broke. Took it back the same day and they made me wait another 10 days to get it back! They said it was "state law" that they had to keep an exchange OR REPAIR 10 days. I told them that was BS and was just their stores policy. They told me it wasn't and their hands were tied and I told them to shove it.

If that were true, every time you had a scope mounted or maintinance done, you'd have to wait ten days to get your gun back.

Trendkill
03-02-2010, 10:54 AM
I still think we should all do our PPT's for AR's and AK's at Big 5 in masse.....just for shi** and giggles.

Chuntsman949
03-02-2010, 11:05 AM
hahah they would FREAK, i shipped my buddies upper for him back to noveske a while ago, the lady at fed ex saw what i was packing, ran to the back and called the police on me, ( all of this without notificaiton mind you) when the cops got thier, they saw what I had, one was a dick, the other knew what was up lol. So bad

SVPRApps
03-02-2010, 11:10 AM
hahah they would FREAK, i shipped my buddies upper for him back to noveske a while ago, the lady at fed ex saw what i was packing, ran to the back and called the police on me, ( all of this without notificaiton mind you) when the cops got thier, they saw what I had, one was a dick, the other knew what was up lol. So bad

hahah. i love ARs, everything is OKAY except the lower!!! :D

The DRis
03-02-2010, 11:21 AM
That same thing happend to me at the UPS store when I sent my XD back to Springfield for some work. "oh no, we can't ship that". Then ran, literally ran, into the back and got her manager. Who almost called the cops. So stupid

anywho the 8 shot mossberg has basically a fixed 20" barrel. I have the two barrel one. It's a great basic shotgun. No problems. And I've had and shot mine since 1999

03-02-2010, 12:56 PM

That same thing happend to me at the UPS store when I sent my XD back to Springfield for some work. "oh no, we can't ship that". Then ran, literally ran, into the back and got her manager. Who almost called the cops. So stupid

anywho the 8 shot mossberg has basically a fixed 20" barrel. I have the two barrel one. It's a great basic shotgun. No problems. And I've had and shot mine since 1999

We're in the Republic of Kalifornia. Anything looks like a gun will send them running and calling 911. :D

johnthomas
03-02-2010, 1:19 PM
Before you buy from any gun store, you should know their policy on returns. Why is it everyone trashes big5 but they still sell guns? Because, often they have the best prices. Salinas and Watsonville are good places to buy guns. I saw the mossberg, I didn't buy it, I bought the chinese for 199 instead. I like the ghost site and the fact that it is like my 870. Be advised that big 5 will make you wait 11 days not 10. Their policy. I hear that there is plenty of FUD going on at big 5. When you hear it, correct it, tell the FUD talker to go to the DOJ website and read their handbook. I wish every gun store was required to hand out one every time they sell a gun. As a matter of fact, it should be required reading for all California LEO's.

SVPRApps
03-02-2010, 1:22 PM
Before you buy from any gun store, you should know their policy on returns. Why is it everyone trashes big5 but they still sell guns? Because, often they have the best prices. Salinas and Watsonville are good places to buy guns. I saw the mossberg, I didn't buy it, I bought the chinese for 199 instead. I like the ghost site and the fact that it is like my 870. Be advised that big 5 will make you wait 11 days not 10. Their policy. I hear that there is plenty of FUD going on at big 5. When you hear it, correct it, tell the FUD talker to go to the DOJ website and read their handbook. I wish every gun store was required to hand out one every time they sell a gun. As a matter of fact, it should be required reading for all California LEO's.

is the interstate really that good? i dont want to risk any broken pieces or anything

russ69
03-02-2010, 1:28 PM
Get a Rem 870 Turkey with a 21 or 23 inch barrel. This is a very good gun and it can be used for just about anything. You have to have at least a 21 inch barrel, by most range rules to shoot trap, skeet or sporting clays. It's not too long or too short on the long 870 action. The Mossberg is just not in the same class. It will cost you a little more but it's totally worth the money, wait until you can find a good 870.
I have some pretty fancy shotguns but I'd have no trouble shooting an 870 for the rest of my life. My 870 must have thousands of rounds through it and it's still super tight.

Thanx, Russ

juelz919
03-02-2010, 1:32 PM
not all big 5 employees are incompetent, and they aren't the only gun store that makes mistakes. there are threads about alot of gun stores about their incorrect remarks about black guns or guns in general..

The guys usually aren't as cocky as dudes at "real" gun stores so I like them..

Cut the dudes some slack, not everyone aspires to become a gun genius or memorize the DOJ gun handbook. They tell you what they were trained to tell you, at least they are usually willing to learn from you unlike most arrogant workers at other gun stores..

I'll buy again

professionalcoyotehunter
03-02-2010, 1:34 PM
I loved mine but needed the money for something else and sold it :(

03-02-2010, 1:48 PM
not all big 5 employees are incompetent, and they aren't the only gun store that makes mistakes. there are threads about alot of gun stores about their incorrect remarks about black guns or guns in general..

The guys usually aren't as cocky as dudes at "real" gun stores so I like them..

Cut the dudes some slack, not everyone aspires to become a gun genius or memorize the DOJ gun handbook. They tell you what they were trained to tell you, at least they are usually willing to learn from you unlike most arrogant workers at other gun stores..

I'll buy again

I had good experiences with the local Big5. They're helpful and very knowledgeable about what they have.

They might not know everything, but they don't act like they designed the products or wrote the laws.

SJgunguy24
03-02-2010, 6:31 PM
I still think we should all do our PPT's for AR's and AK's at Big 5 in masse.....just for shi** and giggles.

I don't think they'll do it. I tried to PPT a Yugo 59/66 at Big 5 accross from Oakridge and the manager said they didn't gave the peperwork. I said he's FOS it's a standard 4473 and DROS and they have to have those or else they can't sell the guns in stock., Then he said they can't do guns they don't sell.

He had a Yugo on the rack, then he told me flat out no. I asked him why, he said company policy. So their company policy is to break the law. Whatever.

s-s
03-02-2010, 7:04 PM
I picked something up at the Big 5 across from Oakridge.
Asked for a copy of the DROS, he told me they can't give copies, "it's company policy." I Told him "I think you have to by law", He still said no & "if you want to see it it will be here for 35 years." I was getting pretty hot so I just left.
Went back a few days later with a copy of pc12076 in my pocket & asked for my DROS copy. I was ready to give Big 5 some major grief but the guy (not the same guy as the 1st time) RAN and got it. He said he remembered me & after I left everybody was asking about giving out copies. I asked where the other guy was, He said he's not here anymore.

Sorry about that, just read SJgunguy's post, had flashbacks & had to vent.

Big 5 is great

Donkeypunch0420
03-02-2010, 7:05 PM
I agree with others. I have no problem buying from them. I don't ask them questions or anything to try and put them on the spot. I know what I want and buy it without having to sift through the FUD.

E-120
03-02-2010, 7:30 PM
They are fine. Its where I bought my first rifle. With retail you get what you pay for. Some employees are great other are not.

juelz919
03-02-2010, 10:31 PM
I had good experiences with the local Big5. They're helpful and very knowledgeable about what they have.

They might not know everything, but they don't act like they designed the products or wrote the laws.

I agree completely.. that's the message I was trying to get across

Trendkill
03-02-2010, 11:12 PM
I don't think they'll do it. I tried to PPT a Yugo 59/66 at Big 5 accross from Oakridge and the manager said they didn't gave the peperwork. I said he's FOS it's a standard 4473 and DROS and they have to have those or else they can't sell the guns in stock., Then he said they can't do guns they don't sell.

He had a Yugo on the rack, then he told me flat out no. I asked him why, he said company policy. So their company policy is to break the law. Whatever.

Wow....thats hilarious.

johnthomas
03-03-2010, 2:21 AM
is the interstate really that good? i dont want to risk any broken pieces or anything

You will get many folks here that talk bad about the gun, I own both the interstate and the 870. I like them both. I have not regretted buying the chinese. For those that chime in and talk trash about the Interstate, please indicate if you have one or have ever owned one. I will say this, if I had the money for an 870 and the choice between the two, I would buy the 870.

shark92651
03-03-2010, 7:09 AM
You may not realize there is a forum just below centerfire rifles called shotgun discussions ;) Sorry, it's just my nature to try to keep things organized. You should ask the guys in the shop how irate I get when I find tools out of place on the work benches.

xrMike
03-03-2010, 7:26 AM
They're also giving 10% off on all "sporting arms" right now, thru March 8th.

http://big5sportinggoods.shoplocal.com/big5/Default.aspx?action=browsepagedetail&storeid=2503823&rapid=841437&pagenumber=2&listingid=-2087800127

Only applies to regular-priced items, so you can't use it for guns that are already on sale.

johnthomas
03-03-2010, 12:10 PM
You may not realize there is a forum just below centerfire rifles called shotgun discussions ;) Sorry, it's just my nature to try to keep things organized. You should ask the guys in the shop how irate I get when I find tools out of place on the work benches.

Your right, Just like many of the discussions, it goes off topic pretty quickly. I'll try and be good. The screwdriver hangs on the wall with the painted spot that looks like the screw driver, right? lol

-hanko
03-03-2010, 1:47 PM
Nope. You miss the point. OP had a very busy schedule today, cut him a little slack...;),,,"faster response here , i'm heading out to the store in a few minutes it opens at 10"

-hanko