PDA

View Full Version : .308 in what platform?

para38super
03-02-2010, 6:37 AM
I am looking into a .308 but I dont know what platform I want. I was thinking of a Springfield M1A or AR-10 or Rem 700. I am going to use this as Range, Hunting, SHTF rifle. What did you choose and why? What upgrades did you make?

X-NewYawker
03-02-2010, 6:52 AM
The new LMT 308 is going to ship to CA with the BB. I like their interchangable barrel and monolithic rail system. If you want to be able to use old hi-caps get an M1-A. If you want to use that expensive 308 slowly, get a M700/..

cleanguy46
03-02-2010, 6:56 AM
I am looking into a .308 but I dont know what platform I want. I was thinking of a Springfield M1A or AR-10 or Rem 700. I am going to use this as Range, Hunting, SHTF rifle. What did you choose and why? What upgrades did you make?

You have many questions to ask here.....What distances are you looking to shoot at the range? Barrel length is key here......what kind of hunting are you going to do because a heavy rifle like the M1A will wear on you very quickly. SHTF you would benifit from the semi auto verses the bolt action if you want to send alot of lead quickly. Lastly how much do you want to spend? Personally I got a Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308 because I have an AR and an 870 for SHTF so I wanted an accurate rifle with a 20" barrel so I can use it dual purpose for target and hunting. Good luck in your selection!

para38super
03-02-2010, 7:06 AM
I am looking at 400 yard range. I am not too sure on barrel length yet, but I think anything from an 18" to 22" barrel will do for that distance. I will be hunting deer and pig in cali. I want an acurate rifle with a 3.08 caliber. My price range is up to $2000. I currently own a 5.56 but I want something with a bigger punch at longer distances.

cleanguy46
03-02-2010, 7:12 AM
I am looking at 400 yard range. I am not too sure on barrel length yet, but I think anything from an 18" to 22" barrel will do for that distance. I will be hunting deer and pig in cali. I want an acurate rifle with a 3.08 caliber. My price range is up to $2000. I currently own a 5.56 but I want something with a bigger punch at longer distances.

A Remington 700 would fit the bill and you would have plenty left for a great piece of glass to top the rifle with.

Jpach
03-02-2010, 7:22 AM
If you are set on a semi-auto .308, go with an AR platform that can accept SR-25 mags/Pmags/DPMS mags. You pretty much cant go wrong. STAY AWAY FROM HESSE!

intensefab
03-02-2010, 7:29 AM
I wanted distance and accuracy and went with the Savage 10 FLCP-K bolt action with a 24" barrel. Fluted barrel, brake and a great trigger "accutrigger" it's a great rifle for longer distance.

hammerhands32
03-02-2010, 7:31 AM
No FAL? well that hurts my feelings

Hunter158
03-02-2010, 7:45 AM
Semi-auto
Don't forget FAL, and the new Reper by LWRC.

I have no experience with FAL yet, but will soon, and there is a very loyal following.

I have experience with the Reper. Specifically the 18". WOW, what a great rifle. Recoil like a .223, and I love the left hand charging handle idea. (The FDE models can feature color variations between parts that some do not like)

M1a - I've had 2 and love these. Nothing like the history. I like the Scout 18" model, but the 16" Socom is pretty amazing too. Like has been said, this one can use your old pre-ban magazines as long as you don't use a pistol grip. The JAE stock is a great upgrade and retains the web of the hand above the trigger area (you can still use old mags with this). A Whitefeather, Smith or LRB built rifle will challenge bolt actions for accuracy.

BoltAction:
Remington 700 is a great rifle, in the right configuration. Small magazine unless you can find a removable magazine fed version/conversion.

Don't forget the Winchester Model 70. Pre-64 preferred. Again can be converted to removable magazine fed, and configured with any variation of barrel trigger group and stock. Some prefer these to the Remington.

12 ga is good, .223/5.56 is good... but bring enough gun. .308 is the one to bring IMHO.

Hunt
03-02-2010, 8:18 AM
well you are asking triple duty out of one platform. Kinda like asking for a
Friday night luxury car, with 4 wheel offroad ability that can carry 6 people and get 40 miles to the gallon. your best bet is to seperate the function of hunting and range gun into one bolt gun then get a good battle rifle, maybe in 5.56 that will shoot the heavier bullets. For 2K you can build a bolt rifle light enough to carry for hunting that will shoot sub moa and be an effective shooter at 700 yards!

quick draw mcgraw
03-02-2010, 8:50 AM
I had the same criteria and here's what I just got.....

POF P308 14.5" Carbine

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad308/tnewburn/2010cover1.jpg

It's probation just ended today and I am going to try and pick it up and wring it out this weekend.

Black Majik
03-02-2010, 8:59 AM
Remington SPS Tactical
*LTR take-off stock
*Seekins hunter low-profile rail
*Vortex Viper.

Great accuracy
Light enough for hunting
Fill SHTF rifle fantasies.

HkFan416
03-02-2010, 9:16 AM
If shtf dude, I don't think you're going to be hitting badguys out to 400+ yards, that's kinda rediculous and unrealistic. Since you already have a good shotgun and carbine, I would just go with a boltgun (tikka, rem 700, savage, etc.).

FeuerFrei
03-02-2010, 9:25 AM
My vote is for an FAL or M1A, with carbine length barrels to be handier.
Both rifles are battlefield proven and reliable. You can hunt with either of them.
If SHTF one of these would allow you to walk softly and carry a big...er...persuader.

Hoop
03-02-2010, 9:30 AM
AR in 308 if semi auto, Remington 700 if bolt action.

ar15barrels
03-02-2010, 9:39 AM
I am looking into a .308 but I dont know what platform I want.
I am going to use this as Range, Hunting, SHTF rifle.

How much range use vs. how much hunting use?
ANY gun can be used for SHTF which is so unlikely that it should not even be a consideration.
Besides, you already have a semi-auto carbine so go with a bolt and good glass.

I am looking at 400 yard range. I am not too sure on barrel length yet, but I think anything from an 18" to 22" barrel will do for that distance. I will be hunting deer and pig in cali. I want an acurate rifle with a .308 caliber. My price range is up to $2000. I currently own a 5.56 but I want something with a bigger punch at longer distances.

Is $2000 including optics?
If so, then go with a bolt gun and buy better glass.
If you go semi-auto, you will quickly run out of money for good optics.
Figure on spending $700 on the gun and at least $1300 on the scope and mounts.

twinjetguy
03-02-2010, 9:53 AM
My vote is for FAL. Gas piston driven, reliable and proven platform. Plus they just look MEAN! You can get them for a reasonable price as well. I have a FAL and AR's. Love them both, but when it comes to .308, I am a FAL guy.

I do have to admit though that the POF that quick draw purchased is awesome! I want to get one of those POF lowers sooooo badly! Congrats on the new toy!

FMJBT
03-02-2010, 10:29 AM
I'd go with a Remington XCR Compact Tactical. The short fluted barrel cuts down weight, making it light enough for hunting, although still stiff enough for accurate long range work. 400 yards is well within the reach of this rifle. With decent glass and ammo it should be capable of 800 yards or more. Most battle rifles are reaching their limitations for accurate fire at 400 to 500 yards. In terms of reliability, no semi auto will be as reliable as a bolt action, at least not while retaining any degree of accuracy. For the inevitable SHTF scenario, you can always get the 700 inletted for a Badger or Seekins detachable mag setup......

Vanguard
03-02-2010, 10:44 AM
M1A Loaded

It's semi automatic, has good ergonomics, and will shoot the balls off of a gnat at 300 yards.

The DRis
03-02-2010, 11:26 AM
I'm a bit partial to the M1A. Everybody has a AR10 or variant. But not a sexy M1A. Through a JAE on there and some good glass. The rifle, depending on which model, and JAE alone will probably be 2K. Then adding the glass will be more. But it's such a nice gun. Heavy shmeavy. Heavier guns don't move as much on recoil! ;-)

Evo
03-02-2010, 12:31 PM
Here's an out of left field suggestion...
Browning BLR 81 Takedown in .308, this is what my wife shoots and it's a very accurate, light rifle that can break down like an AR for transport and offers bolt action accuracy with a faster cycling rate and detachable magazines. It's also under $1000 so you have plenty of $ left over for a Nightforce, IOR or other high quality optic. You can even get a Picatinny scope rail for it from EGW just specify short action.

Ours is a limited edition with grey laminate furniture and fiber optic front sight, wearing an IOR red dot...
http://www.evingrant.com/pics/Serenity.jpg

HkFan416
03-02-2010, 1:03 PM
Browning BLR 81 Takedown in .308, this is what my wife shoots and it's a very accurate, light rifle that can break down like an AR for transport and offers bolt action accuracy with a faster cycling rate and detachable magazines. It's also under $1000 so you have plenty of $ left over for a Nightforce, IOR or other high quality optic. You can even get a Picatinny scope rail for it from EGW just specify short action.

Ours is a limited edition with grey laminate furniture and fiber optic front sight, wearing an IOR red dot...

That things pretty sweet.

para38super
03-02-2010, 6:21 PM

It's a good looking rifle!

nemisis1400
03-02-2010, 6:37 PM

Ok this here is what's gonna be my SHTF/Hunting rifle. That is awesome.

a1fabweld
03-02-2010, 10:08 PM
Look into the HK91 clones.

RAMCHARGER
03-03-2010, 12:10 PM
WHAT NO SAIGA .308??? I just got one and it's just hairy balls bass ***!!!

Hunt
03-03-2010, 1:49 PM
If shtf dude, I don't think you're going to be hitting badguys out to 400+ yards, that's kinda rediculous and unrealistic. Since you already have a good shotgun and carbine, I would just go with a boltgun (tikka, rem 700, savage, etc.).

2K into a boltgun is a premium boltgun, in this case I would pass on the 600 yard limit of .308 and move to 7mm Rem Mag or better yet .264 Win Mag or close variations in the ,264 shoot baseballs at 800 yards, after all a bolt gun is for reach.

Hunt
03-03-2010, 1:51 PM

this is awesome

bigstick61
03-03-2010, 3:49 PM

How about a Steyr Scout? Or some other bolt gun made into a scout rifle? Seems like it fits your needs. Can be used effectively beyond your range, has backup irons and can mount forward or traditional mounted optics (which may suit any of your needs), allows you to carry ammo on your gun (good for multiple reasons), allows you to use a speed shooting sling, which can be useful for both hunting and SHTF, is in .308, and is short, light and handy, which seems to be what you want. The Scout concept in general seems geared towards being the answer to your question.

If you don't care too much about optics, a .308 version of the Lee-Enfield No. 5 Mk 1 would also seem to suit your needs. Another option would be the Beretta BM-62, although you would have to get a bit lucky to get one in your rpice range these days. Resolves the weight and handiness issues of the M-14 while being a different derivation of the Garand design than the M-14 is. I'm sure there are optics options as well if you want optics. Certainly seems like it would be useful for all three things.

If you just want a battle rifle that can be used for the range and hunting, even if not the best tool for those things (either a bit heavy or something else), M-14 is of course a good choice, especially if you intend to use a shooting sling (I believe this can be done with the BM-59 series as well); a 7.62 Garand of some sort would not be bad, either. If you do not intend to use a shooting sling, a FAL can be a good choice as well.

heyjerr
03-03-2010, 7:38 PM
Look into the HK91 clones.

+1

I just picked up a PTR91 and am very happy with it's accuracy right out of the gate.

http://heyjerr.smugmug.com/photos/767176533_T34P9-L.jpg

IEShooter
03-03-2010, 9:19 PM
I've had my Springfield M1A Scout for a few months now and have put about 800 rounds through it.

Amazingly accurate and hard hitting. I absolutely love the iron sights and for me, it works well. I MUCH prefer the match sites over the ones on the SOCOM and it brings accuracy/less recoil to the table too. Very manuverable with the 18" barrel.

Great all around rifle and the irons are good to over 300-400 yards with no problem, even to these old eyes.

Regards,

John

thmpr
03-03-2010, 10:09 PM
Wow!!! That POF looks outstanding!

pyro3k2
03-04-2010, 2:09 AM
If you already have a carbine my vote goes to the bolt gun with a good scope.

gemeni 13
04-24-2010, 8:28 AM

fantastic set-up for the Browning BLR ! I've located a similar base, but wonder who made the scope mount, please? Or do you recall where you purchased it? I'd like to do the same for my identical rifle. thanks

HUTCH 7.62
04-24-2010, 8:35 AM
FAL!!!!!!

sleepur606
04-24-2010, 8:37 AM
How much range use vs. how much hunting use?
ANY gun can be used for SHTF which is so unlikely that it should not even be a consideration.
Besides, you already have a semi-auto carbine so go with a bolt and good glass.

Is $2000 including optics?
If so, then go with a bolt gun and buy better glass.
If you go semi-auto, you will quickly run out of money for good optics.
Figure on spending $700 on the gun and at least $1300 on the scope and mounts.

Listen to this man, he knows a thing or two about guns.

You can pick up a Remington 700 SPS, SPS Tactical, or (I just found these recently) the SPS Compact. Priced from sub-$600 to around $800, you should still have a little cash left over for even a Nightforce scope. You may push just over your $2,000 budget, but sometimes, its worth it.

I'd go bolt gun all the way if you really want a superbly accurate gun out-of-the-box, and want to keep to you $2k budget.

Just me though, I could be retarded...and if you knew me, you'd probably think I was.

1337Grenadier
04-24-2010, 10:44 AM
I would go with the M1A because its Cali compliant without losing any functionality and magazines are not hard to come by. Out of state I would say FAL but that being said FAL mags are becoming harder to come by and the First batch of new made DSA 20 rounders have not been getting good reports.

cannon
04-24-2010, 10:47 AM

M1A

tomd1584
04-24-2010, 12:08 PM
AR platform: This is IT for me. ~Yes i understand its a Knights Armament, i'm mostly referencing what can be built.

(borrowed from M4carbine.net, courtesy of member Titleist)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2792/4395899388_beba4dc6d9_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4061/4452233682_5b7524c03c_b.jpg

phish
04-24-2010, 2:32 PM
Don't forget the Winchester Model 70. Pre-64 preferred.

I don't quite understand this pre-64 nut hugging, reminds me of Cuban cigars for some reason. Someone will be hard pressed to find a smith that will do the extractor cut on a new barrel, and most pre-64s are way overpriced for their condition (except for the one I saw this morning at Chabot). As if there isn't a dearth of aftermarket parts for push feed Win/FN actions, there's even less for pre-64s.

Butthead
04-24-2010, 2:56 PM
I say go with the AR platform. Accuracy to 400 is no prob and you can upgrade as the budget permits. This would probably be my choice if I could only have one.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff256/jlars00/IMG_0244.jpg

bodyarmorguy27
04-24-2010, 3:48 PM
Nice rifle Butthead, is that a Fulton?

I'm currently building a M110 clone, based off the Fulton Titan M110. It has some KAC parts (stock, iPod mount, scope mount, rail panels, bipod mount). I have already went well past the 2600 dollar mark. Will probably be about $3500 once it's complete. I've been squirreling away parts for the past two years.

I'd post pics but the majority of the weapon is at Dave's Metal Works getting blasted in Cerakote FDE.

Cobrafreak
04-24-2010, 4:28 PM
FAL all the way. Battle proven for decades, doesn't break, doesn't jam, looks awesome, not too expensive (unless you get a DSA like me). It's the second gun down from the top in the picture.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/jperickson2001/P3290001.jpg

HUTCH 7.62
04-24-2010, 6:16 PM
FAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hank Dodge
04-24-2010, 6:32 PM
You can't beat a good quality M1A....

gemini1
04-24-2010, 9:15 PM
I had the same criteria and here's what I just got.....

POF P308 14.5" Carbine

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad308/tnewburn/2010cover1.jpg

It's probation just ended today and I am going to try and pick it up and wring it out this weekend.

Very nice. How heavy is it?

04-24-2010, 9:59 PM
http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/44/img6176m.jpg
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/5910/img6177wo.jpg

Saiga 308 to keep the wallet happy. :D

karl9422
04-24-2010, 10:09 PM
nice 308 1988. can i ask how much you have into the rifle?

04-24-2010, 10:42 PM
nice 308 1988. can i ask how much you have into the rifle?

About $1500 as shown, including the Leupold SPR scope.

You can keep the cost low, depending on the cost of upgrade/conversion.

winxp_man
04-24-2010, 10:51 PM
i can say that the Remny 700 SPS Tac is sub MOA mine was anyways.........

i got mine for about 594 shipped then the DROS 60 bucks. and the Remys have plenty of upgrades possible. the other thing you would have to do is change the stock out with a 5R or a LTR stock and with a nice NF scope your GTG....

Linus
04-24-2010, 11:01 PM
OP, so what have you decided? Remington 700 SPS Varmint or Tactical in 308 + Nightforce glass RIGHT?!!!

Hopefully you've ignored everything after Randall's reply.

sirgiles
04-24-2010, 11:15 PM
My vote is for an FAL or M1A, with carbine length barrels to be handier.
Both rifles are battlefield proven and reliable. You can hunt with either of them.
If SHTF one of these would allow you to walk softly and carry a big...er...persuader.

:i agree:
http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu119/sirgiles_photo/socom%2016/IMG_0636.jpg

HUTCH 7.62
04-25-2010, 12:34 AM
:i agree:
http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu119/sirgiles_photo/socom%2016/IMG_0636.jpg

The FAL or M-14 should never be equipped with a barrel less then 21" thats just sac relige

goathead
04-25-2010, 1:46 AM
i like the 700 myself 308