PDA

View Full Version : Handgun Safety Certification Expiration??

supermario
03-01-2010, 9:44 PM
Hello, this may be a dumb question but if my HSC expires on March 3, 2010,
can i still buy a gun on that day or would March 2, 2010 be the last day i can buy a gun with that HSC. I am just curious becus i may do a ppt but i wanted to do it on wed 3-3-10, i just wanted to know if it will be expired?
Thanks

troysland
03-01-2010, 9:50 PM
Should be good throughout the 3rd. Like Cinderella's carriage, it turns into a pumpkin at the stroke of midnight on the 4th.

Just call ahead to verify with that FFL.

tbhracing
03-01-2010, 9:54 PM
If you cant figure that out, should you really be owning a firearm?

supermario
03-01-2010, 10:05 PM
If you cant figure that out, should you really be owning a firearm?

I guess i shouldnt huh, maybe i should sell off my 20+ guns huh:43:
Thanks for the kind words though:)

slik556
03-01-2010, 10:06 PM
Whats the diff. if it is or isn't just get a new one on the third and you are good to go...... :nuts:

Scratch705
03-01-2010, 10:06 PM
isn't the renewal just a re-take of the test? if so just take the test before the PPT.

Barkoff
03-01-2010, 10:07 PM
Well color me stupid, I thought you only had to take the thing one time, when you buy your first handgun..

supermario
03-01-2010, 10:14 PM
isn't the renewal just a re-take of the test? if so just take the test before the PPT.

Im just being a tightarse and barely have enough $ for the PPT. Plus after this handgun, i wasnt going to buy another for a while. I just didnt want to pay the ppt and renewal.

supermario
03-01-2010, 10:17 PM
WOW, there sure are Alot of smartasses on here. Oh well. Take it easy guys.

Scratch705
03-01-2010, 10:22 PM
Im just being a tightarse and barely have enough $ for the PPT. Plus after this handgun, i wasnt going to buy another for a while. I just didnt want to pay the ppt and renewal.

then hope the FFL accepts your HSC then. although the 10 day waiting period might affect that? don't you need a valid HSC when you pick up the pistol too?

tbhracing
03-01-2010, 10:25 PM
I guess i shouldnt huh, maybe i should sell off my 20+ guns huh:43:

Yes, its for your own safety. And the community as well.

pogo
03-01-2010, 10:26 PM

No test, just a $15(?) fee when my HSC expired two weeks ago.

I showed them my old card, they filled out a new one for me and I was good to go.

supermario
03-01-2010, 10:35 PM
Yes, its for your own safety. And the community as well.

Your funny man:D I think you need love. From all the posts I read from you, you seem like an angry person with alot of hatred. JK,
Take a chill pill man. ;)

ke6guj
03-01-2010, 10:52 PM
Actually, I think you would need to pick up the handgun by the end of business on the 3rd. Not start the DROS by the 3rd.

12071(a)(8)(B) Commencing January 1, 2003, no dealer may deliver a handgun unless the person receiving the handgun presents to the dealer a valid handgun safety certificate. The firearms dealer shall retain a photocopy of the handgun safety certificate as proof of compliance with this requirement. If you pick up the handgun after the 3rd, you don't have a valid HSC, and the dealer can't deliver the handgun to you.

supermario
03-01-2010, 10:54 PM
Actually, I think you would need to pick up the handgun by the end of business on the 3rd. Not start the DROS by the 3rd.

If you pick up the handgun after the 3rd, you don't have a valid HSC, and the dealer can't deliver the handgun to you.

Aww I see, well i guess i just retake it and not worry about it for another 5years. Thanks

corrupt
03-01-2010, 11:03 PM
Tell them you're an illegal alien and are exempt from the HSC.

supermario
03-01-2010, 11:15 PM
Tell them you're an illegal alien and are exempt from the HSC.

HA! :D

Swift Justice
03-02-2010, 9:56 AM
The only time I have ever had to show an HSC is at the time of purchase - not the time of pickup. Can't purchase the handgun in the first place without the HSC - isn't that part of the initial DROS process?

I usually only have to do the safety demo at the time of pickup and of course sign on the date and time of pickup to verify the ten 24 hour periods have passed.

Beee Ceee
03-02-2010, 10:16 AM
You're good to go, Mario. I did the same thing on my expiration date this past January. My FFL just reminded me that I wouldn't be able to purchase another firearm until I renewed my HSC. Good luck with your purchase...

Hello, this may be a dumb question but if my HSC expires on March 3, 2010,
can i still buy a gun on that day or would March 2, 2010 be the last day i can buy a gun with that HSC. I am just curious becus i may do a ppt but i wanted to do it on wed 3-3-10, i just wanted to know if it will be expired?
Thanks

ke6guj
03-02-2010, 10:23 AM
The only time I have ever had to show an HSC is at the time of purchase - not the time of pickup. Can't purchase the handgun in the first place without the HSC - isn't that part of the initial DROS process?

right, they copy your HSC at the time of purchase, but I assume that someone audits the paperwork during the 10-day wait to make sure that everything is there. Items like the expiration on a DL or HSC could be checked to make sure they will still be good at time of delivery. If they are gonna still be valid, why do they need to see your HSC again, if they already have a copy of it?