PDA

View Full Version : AR Mags

quig
03-01-2010, 7:52 PM
Disclaimer, I tried doing a search without success. Maybe someone recalls a previous thread and can direct.

I am somewhat new to an AR platform. I have a newly acquired Stag lower with a bushmaster upper in 556/223. I am building up a Mag collection and have run into a problem.

A 10rd mag came with the lower, works great. Then I bought 2 10/20 unmarked steel mags from a fellow calgunner. No problems with those.

However, in an attempt to get a lengthened 30, I purchased 4 10/30 mags from a sponser. They came today.

They appear to be surplus type mags that were riveted to limit the 10 rounds. The rounds are a pain in the arse to load. It is defiantly a lot tighter to fit in that the other mags I was using. 3 of the 4 mags won't even lock in with the bolt closed. With these 3, I have to keep the "bolt open" to get them in, and it is even tough like this. Also, when I hit the release, I have to rack back the bolt 1-2 times to get the round from the mag into the chamber.

I am sure this may be common. I am pretty certain it is the mag. Did I get what I paid for? Is there a way to tweak the mag?

Thank you in advance,

Ryan

Josh3239
03-01-2010, 7:58 PM
This is why I stay away from the nuetered mags, you don't know who did it, let alone how they will perform. A dedicated mag will always run better.

As far as not locking it with the bolt closed, that has to do with how low the follower can go. They were blocked a bit high, but even the free states or in the military it is recommended to download 1 or 2 rounds for best performance and to allow the loading when the bolt isn't open.

My advice is get unneutered mags.

aplinker
03-01-2010, 8:22 PM
Hi Ryan,

It's very difficult to size an aluminum (flexible) GI mag to hold ONLY 10rds and to still be possible seat it with a closed bolt (in fact, GI mags with 30rds are tough to seat with 30rds on a closed bolt). If you're oversized, an 11th round can be added and it's now a big problem.

GI mags with dry finish are pretty "sticky" and difficult to load.

You got what you paid for, you just didn't know the issues with them.

Getting 10rd GI mags won't fix this, though.

Omega13device
03-01-2010, 9:04 PM
It sounds like the way the made your 10/30s, the springs are completely compressed.

I've made a bunch of 10/30 mags from USGI kits using the rivet method and I haven't had any problems. Somewhere around here there's a thread on how to do it. Maybe someone else can point it out to you because I can't find it at the moment. Or you can PM me and I'll sell you a few of mine.

HUND
03-01-2010, 9:12 PM
Where do you get those 10rd mags that look like a 30rd

They look cool and I must have one :D

One more reason not to live in Ca

Goodtimes.
03-01-2010, 9:31 PM
ya , where are the good 10 round mags ?

quig
03-01-2010, 9:38 PM
One more reason not to live in Ca

Thanks for the reminder, but not an option.

aplinker
03-01-2010, 10:38 PM
Look through the commercial sales threads & list of sight sponsors. There are dozens of vendors who sell 10/30 and 10/20 mags.

If you're going the modified route, go with PMAGs.