PDA

View Full Version : Question about converting calibers on a 1911

hellraiser
03-01-2010, 6:01 PM
So i got this buddy that has a older springfield 1911 that showing its age.
He asked me if i wanted it for a pretty reasonable price. Having no knowledge of 1911s and no need for another 45 i got to thinking bout converting it to 40s&w. Been looking around the web and nothing has really come up aside for a 22lr kit.

so what would i need to do to pull this off? is it something pretty common?
is it to much work/cost and i should just pass on it altogether?
any ideas or options welcome...

this really sounds like it would be a common question but i used the search with no luck...

Jonathan Doe
03-01-2010, 7:16 PM
I have been looking for a 9mm 1911 pistols, but couldn't fine one. Then, I bought a Colt 9mm slide and barrel assembly. I converted my Springfield 1911A1 Mil-Spec model 45 Auto to 9mm now. I needed a new ejector and spring set for it, which were relatively cheap. It shoots very well.

When you convert the caliber of 1911 type pistols, you need to check the compatibility of the parts.

huckberry668
03-02-2010, 12:34 PM
Changing calibers on a 1911 you'll need a slide, barrel, slide stop, ejector and magazine at the very least. slide/frame fit is out the window if you're into accuracy. Typically only 1 set of slide & frame can be made to fit perfectly tight.

I have a Colt GoldCup 45 with a 9mm conversion. both with full length guide rods so all i have to do is change slide stop and ejector. I removed the ejector pin for easy conversion.

You'll need to watch for things like Colt Series 70 vs 80 (firing pin block assembly) compatibility issues. It's best to buy the slide assembly that fits your frame.

You can buy 1911 slides, barrels from great many sources. check Gunbroker for used/new slides/barrels. Brownells, MidwayUSA have many makes of slides, barrels and parts you'll need to put them together. Caspian, Essexx and many others make slides, frames and parts you might want to consider.

hellraiser
03-02-2010, 2:53 PM
wow! i was thinking someone made a drop in replacement barrel like lone wolff dose for glock conversions!!!

thanxs guys for the straight scoop before i got in over my head!!!