View Full Version : .50 DTC

03-01-2010, 1:03 PM
So I just finished my first AR-15 and I want to get into Precision rifles I was going to build a precision M1A1 but then I wanted to go AR-10 and now I'm looking at getting a .50 DTC to slap on my current AR lower. Any and all info is always appriciated.

50 Shooter
03-01-2010, 1:56 PM
Checkout ALS http://www.50bmg.net/pilot.asp?pg=default

Or you can look at the Ferret50 http://www.ferret50.com/

03-01-2010, 1:59 PM
My first choice would be an ALS. But, I am bias since I already have one.

Second shoice would be a Ferret50.

Third would be a Bohica.

Then there's the rest of them. I'd avoid Watson Weapons uppers due to the PITA way you have to load it.

But, the best advise I can give you is to join the FCSA BEFORE you buy any 50. Hell, I think that Dave Moore (Spider Firearms-the maker of Ferret50s) give a discount to FCSA members which is equal to several years worth of membership dues. And, that's just one of the many ways the FCSA can save you money.

03-01-2010, 2:44 PM
In terms of cost, recoil, etc., and more important, downrange performance how do the 50s compare to .338 Lapua and other smaller caliber LR rounds -- what is the ballistic advantage of a 50 -- does it outweigh the recoil?

50 Shooter
03-01-2010, 3:36 PM
I know that I can shoot my AR-50 all day and never feel any different from the first shot. Not many smaller calibers can say that as the 50 is a big push rather then a big snap on your shoulder.

Pricewise, 416 Barrett, .408CT .338 LM are in the same price range as the 50 if not more and we won't even mention the .460 Steyr. Comparing ballistics is another thing, all these new rounds like to compare themselves to military 50 BMG ammo. Amazing how they like to leave out 50 BMG match rounds when they talk about long range accuracy.

It's hard to argue a 1000 yard record of about 2" and a enemy kill at 2430 meters. That's all the real world preformance data that I need.

03-01-2010, 3:57 PM
The main reason for having a .50 these days is just the sheer size. Intermediate cartridges can out perform it in many cases without the need for such a beast of a rifle. However, for .mil usage, the .50BMG will be around for quite some time because of payload rounds like the Mk211. It's not a good choice for hitting a man-sized target at 2500 yards, but it is a good choice for stopping a car 600m or closer.

03-01-2010, 7:22 PM
When my stepson was 13, he shot a FCSA match. That means, he shot 50s for 3 days straight. That included site in day which was the first time he got to shoot 1000 yards! He started shooting 50s when he was 11 and could sit behind one all day long. To give you a comparision, he hated shooting the NEF 30-30 I bought him and would only shoot 12g if he was running AA Xtra lite loads through my 391 with a youth stock.

Shooting precision 50BMGs is more about pushing the limits of the cartridge than anything else. There are more efficient cartridge designs (even the 510DTC is a "better" designed cartridge) and possibly caliber choices. But, it is challenging to work with what you are given and make the best of it. Just look at how far Lee R. has taken it. He has shot one sub 2", 5 shot group at 1000 yards and I've personally seen him shot several sub 1 1/2" 4 shot groups with the flyer putting his groups 2"-4"! The only other person that I know who can come close to doing that on a semi-regular basis is his wife, Sheri!