PDA

View Full Version : AR muzzle breaks etc rules n regs

Maximusmax51
03-01-2010, 11:59 AM
Hey guys, I've been seeing some sweet muzzle breaks and what I thought were comps on some of the AR systems on here, like the noveske, and triple tap one.

Question is what are the rules for adding those to the rifle I.E. barrel length? BB? So forth. Thanks

killshot44
03-01-2010, 12:18 PM
For rifles, the barrel must be at least 16" long. There are a lot of 14.5" barrels using permanently-attached flash hiders or muzzle brakes that meet the 16" requirement.

As for which one to use? Lots of opinions. Read, compare and good luck.

oni
03-01-2010, 12:19 PM
Rules:
With a Bullet Button then you can use a Flash Hider or a Muzzle Brake
On a featureless build you can only have a Muzzle Brake

The noveske KX3 is classified as a Flash Hider therefore you must use a Bullet Button if you want to use it.

As always the OAL barrel length must be 16" so if your barrel is shorter than 16" your muzzle device must be long enough to get it to 16" and it must be permanently attached.

PEBKAC
03-01-2010, 12:24 PM
Muzzle brakes are perfectly legal as they are not features as per PC. Flash Hiders and Flash Suppressors are not defined in PC, however they are listed as a feature, so use the following rule to differentiate between the two:

"If it is marketed or called a muzzle brake, it is a muzzle brake, if it is marketed as a flash hider/flash suppressor, it is a flash hider/flash suppressor."

As to adding to the barrel length any muzzle device must be permanently attached to qualify. Pinning and welding is typically used, however I am trying to remember if the ATF updated the guidelines for what qualifies as permanently attached...someone else can probably better speak to this aspect of things.

aplinker
03-01-2010, 12:42 PM
Muzzle brakes are perfectly legal as they are not features as per PC. Flash Hiders and Flash Suppressors are not defined in PC, however they are listed as a feature, so use the following rule to differentiate between the two:

"If it is marketed or called a muzzle brake, it is a muzzle brake, if it is marketed as a flash hider/flash suppressor, it is a flash hider/flash suppressor."

As to adding to the barrel length any muzzle device must be permanently attached to qualify. Pinning and welding is typically used, however I am trying to remember if the ATF updated the guidelines for what qualifies as permanently attached...someone else can probably better speak to this aspect of things.

They're defined:
"flash suppressor" means any device designed, intended, or that functions to perceptibly reduce or redirect muzzle flash from the shooter's
field of vision. CCR 11 5469 (b)

IrishPirate
03-01-2010, 12:48 PM
nothing illegal (yet) about MB's for any configuration. there are enough options out there to make your head spin!!!! a few of them provide decent flash supression too by "coincidense"

TZL
03-01-2010, 1:03 PM
Where can you get a KAC triple tap?

Maximusmax51
03-01-2010, 1:58 PM
Thanks any recomendations on who to go to take a welded one off and add another??

Group B
03-01-2010, 2:05 PM
Where can you get a KAC triple tap?

Operation Parts ships to Cali - Just add your email address to their "alert" list, and they will contact you when they come back in stock:

http://www.operationparts.com/KAC_KNIGHTS_ARMAMENT_SR15_PDW_MUZZLE_BREAK_INCONEL _p/25683.htm

Note: They now come coated black from KAC

Maximusmax51
03-01-2010, 2:19 PM
Thanks any recomendations on who to go to take a welded one off and add another??

GM_77
03-01-2010, 2:58 PM
I asked a similar question about a muzzle break advertised as a muzzle break but had some flash suppression capabilities (PWS FSC556). The answer I got from Bwiese is what I decided on.
Because of what we've learned out of Hunt v. Brown, the flash hider law is almost unenforceable due to issues of definitions and standards.

What you should not do:
- have a flash hider that's obviously a flash hider;
- have a device that obviously reduces total flash;

What you can do:
- have a muzzle brake that is sold and marketed exclusively as a muzzle brake.

If the KAC Tripple Tap is too expensive I would recommend the more affordable PWS: TTO (for featureless) and PWS:FSC556 for (RAW/BB).

Have fun and bring an extra mag the first time out. You'll just love your follow up shots!

esskay
03-01-2010, 8:00 PM

Don't know about San Diego, but you could check with Randall ("ar15barrels" on this forum) in LA.

Maximusmax51
03-01-2010, 9:06 PM
That's who I'm thinkin! Gotta show love to calguns for all the info, mahalo from hawaii.

PEBKAC
03-01-2010, 10:07 PM
They're defined:
"flash suppressor" means any device designed, intended, or that functions to perceptibly reduce or redirect muzzle flash from the shooter's
field of vision. CCR 11 5469 (b)
I stand corrected.

I must have confused the fact that the definition is somewhat ambiguous with lack of a definition, thanks for catching that. :)