PDA

View Full Version : Shot with a 9mm: Gun Safety Link

doc540
03-01-2010, 8:02 AM
http://carteach0.blogspot.com/2010/02/glens-story-cautionary-tale-for.html

common semi-auto mistake: cleared chamber/loaded mag

hkusp9c
03-01-2010, 8:29 AM
so he was pinch-checking the chamber and accidentally loaded a round to the chamber from the loaded magazine right?

doc540
03-01-2010, 8:35 AM
so he was pinch-checking the chamber and accidentally loaded a round to the chamber from the loaded magazine right?

Yep

I had my only ND like that.

NEVER again

I look DOWN INTO THE MAGWELL first...THEN into the chamber.

SexualChocolate
03-01-2010, 10:28 AM
I know crap happens, but this is absurd. How hard is it to know if your weapon is loaded or not?

Gun safety isn't something you practice, you just live by it. If you see a gun, are holding a gun, or a given a gun, you check to see if its loaded. Even if you just watched someone open and clear, you do it again. Check and then double check.

How could you not know and or realize that you did a full press check with a loaded mag? These type of events are what the gun grabbers use to make us look like dangerous fools. This is why we have to have all kinds of goofy "idiot proof" extra safety features on CA pistols.

Damnit people, keep your finger off the trigger and pull your heads out.

Cool Hand Luke
03-01-2010, 11:05 AM
I started to feel my blood rise the second I started hearing about his friend playing around with the gun, pointing it at him and then pressing it against his chest. It would take everything I had to keep from punching the friend right in the nose, no matter how long I had known the guy. The second the friend started to mess around with that Glock, he should have gone on high alert whether it was loaded or not. Even if it was an airsoft gun, I wouldn't let someone screw around like that.

Being a responsible gun owner means keeping an eye on your surroundings and other gun owners too.

aermotor
03-01-2010, 12:19 PM
Grunts playing with guns, FFS... Amazed and glad he lived, my god.

Agreed with the above, no matter how much someone is my friend or not, you sweep me with a gun you're going to hear about it. It's not a light flipping matter. Why do people do these things? Is it funny to them? What a cool joke, you nearly killed your friend cause you're a flipping dumb ish. That's a pretty newb mistake to chamber check with a loaded mag in the gun, jeesus christ. If he already knew he had a mag in the gun, the second it closed and didn't catch the follower he should have known.

doc540
03-01-2010, 1:31 PM
I guess I'm the only one here that's ever had a ND.

I've owned up to it and will never make that same mistake again.

Crank1000
03-01-2010, 1:46 PM
What's an ND?

HappyG
03-01-2010, 1:49 PM
Maybe he meant AD?

toopercentmlk
03-01-2010, 1:54 PM
ND = AD. Thank goodness he survived.

JTROKS
03-01-2010, 1:59 PM
I started to feel my blood rise the second I started hearing about his friend playing around with the gun, pointing it at him and then pressing it against his chest. It would take everything I had to keep from punching the friend right in the nose, no matter how long I had known the guy. The second the friend started to mess around with that Glock, he should have gone on high alert whether it was loaded or not. Even if it was an airsoft gun, I wouldn't let someone screw around like that.

Being a responsible gun owner means keeping an eye on your surroundings and other gun owners too.

I do not condone playing around with guns even when the guy holding it says he checked it. Before I handle a gun I check the chamber and never horse around pointing it at anyone. I do dry fire at home, but no ammo of any type is next to me and I don't handle live ammo when I dry fire. Anyone that points a gun at me will get the same hospitality right back.

EBR Works
03-01-2010, 2:05 PM
What's an ND?

ND = Negligent Discharge
AD = Accidental Discharge

boxbro
03-01-2010, 2:09 PM
Yep

I had my only ND like that.

NEVER again

I look DOWN INTO THE MAGWELL first...THEN into the chamber.

IMO, It's generally best to remove the magazine first, then check the chamber.

Brendan Sullivan
03-01-2010, 2:13 PM
ND = Negligent Discharge
AD = Accidental Discharge

Some people would argue that there are no AD's, since I do not know of any cases where someone was just near a gun and tripped over a rock or something and the arm discharged itself. In 90% of these cases, the damn thing was in someone's hand and they thought it was unloaded and there was a finger inside the trigger guard.

sqroot3
03-01-2010, 3:00 PM
Some people would argue that there are no AD's
sure there are--for example, i would imagine most (if not all) slamfires are ADs.

23 Blast
03-01-2010, 4:10 PM

Nope, I've had one too and am now super duper, extra special, double triple, magna ultra careful when I'm cleaning, playing with, admiring my guns. Pretty sure the rangemaster in the sky was looking out for me that day because, based on the numerous unpleasant places that bullet could have gone (either a hard surface causing ricochet or fragmentation, or through the soft walls of my garage and out into the neighborhood) it went in the best possible place for it to go where it did the least possible damage. (No, not the neighbor's dog! :D)

Brendan Sullivan
03-01-2010, 4:12 PM
sure there are--for example, i would imagine most (if not all) slamfires are ADs.

D'yarr, matey. I'll concede ye thar. I don't have the stats to back it up, but I feel that slamfires, cookoffs, and hangfires are a pretty slim percentage of the whole AD/ND picture. Just trying to reinforce the idea that the user is responsible for all discharges, be they intentional or accidental.

cj cake
03-01-2010, 5:05 PM
Nope, I've had one too and am now super duper, extra special, double triple, magna ultra careful when I'm cleaning, playing with, admiring my guns. Pretty sure the rangemaster in the sky was looking out for me that day because, based on the numerous unpleasant places that bullet could have gone (either a hard surface causing ricochet or fragmentation, or through the soft walls of my garage and out into the neighborhood) it went in the best possible place for it to go where it did the least possible damage. (No, not the neighbor's dog! :D)

Now if everybody had this attitude before their first (and hopefully last) ND, that animal would soon become extinct! I used to be not very good at this, but I have improved considerably after proper training and from stories like this.

f33dback
03-01-2010, 6:12 PM
Bummer, he is way more forgiving than I am.
So to recap: put a loaded mag back into the gun, racked it, pointed at his friend, pulled the trigger.

ledman
03-01-2010, 7:17 PM

Good to see others owing up to their mistakes. You are not alone my friend.

I had one ND in my lifetime, and shot my car as I was working on a AK-47 in the trunk of my car while out in the desert shooting, and had tursted that the shooter who handed me the weapon had cleared it after he was done, the mag was removed, but a round remained in the chamber(that I did not know about) and that was a BIG mistake on my part, as on an AK the bolt does not lock back when it is emptied and I did not pull the bolt back to double check. I had trusted that the shooter had cleared it before handing it to me.

...no one was hurt, the car survived with only minor damage,($250.00) only thing really hurt was my ego which snapped me back into line real quick.

That will never happen again, I definatley learned from that expierence. Working with a weapon that is/was unfamiliar to me at the time, I should have been even more cautious. I admit it, I made a rookie mistake, and I have been handling firearms practially my whole life.

To bad about this story, and the guy got paralized from it.

He is pretty forgiving...I mean, wow..accidient or not, he must have a big heart to so easily forgive his friend.

.40Cal
03-02-2010, 12:39 AM
I'm having a hard time commenting on this... I can't seem to find the right words or even know what to say. My heart is just so filled with such sorrow and "OMG"... I can't believe that happend, and the poor guy is paralysed now.

This also brings up a question about Glocks and 1911 types. Once the slide is racked there's not auto safety. A slightest - accidental - touch to the trigger can fire the gun :(

Turo
03-02-2010, 1:04 AM
I was shooting trap with a friend, and he had a ND. Luckily, the shotgun was pointed down range and only took out some grass. Needless to say, he got real anal about the 4 rules after that, and is still extremely careful. I'm glad to see the guy survived and continued to teach others about safety. Hopefully it doesn't take this type of scenario to teach people that you need to be extremely vigilant when handling firearms.

23 Blast
03-02-2010, 7:14 AM
.40cal,

That's not strictly true of 1911's. If I were to rack a round into the chamber of a 1911, then pick it up only with my trigger finger in the trigger guard (I.e. NOT in a normal grip) I could theoretically twirl the gun round and round my finger without the gun going off - assuming the grip safety still held.

MarioS
03-02-2010, 12:45 PM
Wow. That was very brave of him to do that. It's a good reminder to all of us that we should take to heart. The fundamental firearms handling rules exist for a reason. If followed in its entirety, I think the chances of an accident ever happening are drastically, drastically reduced (I will not say never).