PDA

View Full Version : Saiga Muzzle Brake

RT13
03-01-2010, 12:07 AM
Is it legal to install a muzzle break onto a factory stock Saiga rifle? This one below is the one I had in mind? I plan on putting on a scope rail and scope, and replace the forearm handguard with a Tapco one. How will this affect the federal 922r compliance if any for what I want to do. Is this ok or do I have to replace enough parts with US made parts to comply even though they are just the scope rail and handguards? Thanks.
http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-164/SAIGA-223-7.62X39-MUZZLE/Detail

PEBKAC
03-01-2010, 12:17 AM
That is a flash hider, not a muzzle brake if you are linking to the right page. If you put a flash hider on there, no it will not be CA legal unless you turn it into a fixed magazine configuration. If you install a "true" muzzle brake then it would still be CA legal as muzzle brakes are not a feature.

Federally however, I think you will need to install enough US parts to be 922(r) compliant as you would be changing the gun from the original configuration.

mydogsmonkey
03-01-2010, 12:23 AM
here you go
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=5735/Product/AK_MUZZLE_BRAKE
try that, you'll need to get your saiga threaded though

RT13
03-01-2010, 12:43 AM
That is a flash hider, not a muzzle brake if you are linking to the right page. If you put a flash hider on there, no it will not be CA legal unless you turn it into a fixed magazine configuration. If you install a "true" muzzle brake then it would still be CA legal as muzzle brakes are not a feature.

Federally however, I think you will need to install enough US parts to be 922(r) compliant as you would be changing the gun from the original configuration.

The description all says muzzle brake but I saw the title and it does say flash hider. It's hard to tell, but from the side view , it does look like a flash hider. I liked it because it was an easy install with no tools or machining needed. Is there anything out there similar to this that is a true muzzle brake that wont break the bank? They have one in their site made by SGM that is bolt on but the price is ridiculous.

killshot44
03-01-2010, 1:22 AM
This one below is the one I had in mind? I plan on putting on a scope rail and scope, and replace the forearm handguard with a Tapco one.

I have this same item. PM me if you're interested. ;)

RT13
03-01-2010, 2:21 AM
I have this same item. PM me if you're interested. ;)

I'm interested...if it's legal.:) How do you like it on your your Saiga?

SVT-40
03-01-2010, 11:40 AM
Saiga rifles already have the factory side scope mount base. So there is no need to install an after market rail.

killshot44
03-01-2010, 12:38 PM
The factory-side mount often puts the scope waaaay high over the bore and sometimes not over centerbore. Tough to get a chin-weld....

Top mounts like the TWS rail are a big improvement.