View Full Version : Half converted saiga

02-28-2010, 3:10 PM
I have been thinking about getting another AK type rifle. I currently own a Lancaster AK-74 and find it quite enjoyable. My only complaint is that I am currently running a solartac mag lock which while isn't horrible, is kind of annoying. I was thinking that I want to do a featureless type build. However I have shot my buddies WASR with a solartac grip wrap/fin, and quite frankly I don't like it, just feels strange to me. I finally got around to handling a saiga this week and actually like the cheesy monte carlo stock on it. I was thinking of just adding a bullet guide, and changing out the furniture and maybe replacing the front sight base with a standard AK type. Has anyone else done this? Basically I want it to look like a standard ak with a monte carlo stock is what I have pictured in my head. Is it too time consuming to replace the front sight assembly? Or should I just give in and do what I am doing now and just get a regular AK and stop messing around?

02-28-2010, 3:12 PM
Vandal has done that. He added a bullet guide, a Bulgarian front sight, standard US made AK handguards, and some US made FCG parts to be 922r compliant.

02-28-2010, 6:00 PM
the front sight needs to be pressed out, but whats the reason to change the front sight? did you want to have the index pin for the muzzle brake?

02-28-2010, 7:22 PM
I'm in the process of doing something similar. I have a stock Saiga that I want to use my old hi-cap AK mags with. So I went to Dinzag and purchased their bullet guide kit for $26. Since I'll be triggering 922r with the hi-caps, I also purchased their Tapco factory trigger set (2 compliance parts) for $65 and the Tapco Intrafuse Saiga Handguard (1 compliance part) for $42. If you enter "Saiga" in the coupon box, you get free shipping for orders over $100. I still need to purchase some US made followers for my magazines as my last compliance part. I'll probably buy them at K-VAR.

With the new Tapco Intrafuse Saiga Handguard, you can remove the 3 picatinny rails if you want. What I'll wind up with is a Saiga that can accept my high-caps that will look almost like the factory Saiga. Like you, I kinda like the Monte Carlo buttstock. I wish someone in the US made the factory type handguard too so I could keep it looking exactly like it came from the factory. I couldn't find any floorplates for metal magazines as my last compliance part. That would have been perfect because then I could have kept the factory handguard. I didn't want to re-build my Chinese hi-caps into poly mags so I could use US made floorplates. I like the looks of those old metal Chinese mags. So basically if someone made either a US made original handguard OR US made floorplates for metal mags I would've been set. But I can't find either.

02-28-2010, 7:42 PM
if i can get enough interest i can start making bullet guides for saigas and sell them for less then half the cost then most sites that sell them.i need a AK mag to design one tho

03-01-2010, 10:25 AM
Why not use US-made Tapco followers to get the last compliance part?

03-01-2010, 10:36 AM
If you want to save a bit of money and time, find an Arsenal SGL-10. The front half is already converted. It has a new Russian gas block and front sight base. A US muzzle brake, two US FCG parts, and a US front handguard.

03-01-2010, 10:39 AM

03-01-2010, 10:42 AM
You'll still have the same 922-compliance issues if you use more-than-10-rounder-mags with the SGL-10.

03-01-2010, 11:58 AM
You'll still have the same 922-compliance issues if you use more-than-10-rounder-mags with the SGL-10.

I know. That is why an SGL-10 is the best platform for a high cap mag mod. One would only need to add one more US part.

03-01-2010, 12:04 PM
I look at the Saiga as a platform for customization. You know the gun runs, not like some kit guns that might have issues or need to be sent back to be fixed.

03-01-2010, 2:13 PM
The Arsenal SGL-10 is EXACTLY what I want to end up with. The difference would be I am assuming is that I would still have to add a bullet guide for regular mags. Though I don't own any I would much rather have the ability for it to take them if I ever move out of state. The only thing I don't like is the price tag. You could add a tiny bit more money and have an already configured unit. It figures this would be unreasonably priced...

03-01-2010, 3:07 PM
You can score an SGL-10 on GB for roughly $500. Their still a great value.

03-01-2010, 3:12 PM
$500 is a very decent price, the front end is the hardest part of the conversion of a Saiga without the proper tools, just a bolt-on retainer runs $85 from Dinzqg Arms.

03-01-2010, 3:30 PM
Hmmm, I am searching and don't see any in that range out on the net. I guess I am going to have to play the waiting game I suppose.