PDA

View Full Version : Half converted saiga

13204u
02-28-2010, 4:10 PM
I have been thinking about getting another AK type rifle. I currently own a Lancaster AK-74 and find it quite enjoyable. My only complaint is that I am currently running a solartac mag lock which while isn't horrible, is kind of annoying. I was thinking that I want to do a featureless type build. However I have shot my buddies WASR with a solartac grip wrap/fin, and quite frankly I don't like it, just feels strange to me. I finally got around to handling a saiga this week and actually like the cheesy monte carlo stock on it. I was thinking of just adding a bullet guide, and changing out the furniture and maybe replacing the front sight base with a standard AK type. Has anyone else done this? Basically I want it to look like a standard ak with a monte carlo stock is what I have pictured in my head. Is it too time consuming to replace the front sight assembly? Or should I just give in and do what I am doing now and just get a regular AK and stop messing around?

69Mach1
02-28-2010, 4:12 PM
Vandal has done that. He added a bullet guide, a Bulgarian front sight, standard US made AK handguards, and some US made FCG parts to be 922r compliant.

ae13291
02-28-2010, 7:00 PM
the front sight needs to be pressed out, but whats the reason to change the front sight? did you want to have the index pin for the muzzle brake?

k1dude
02-28-2010, 8:22 PM
I'm in the process of doing something similar. I have a stock Saiga that I want to use my old hi-cap AK mags with. So I went to Dinzag and purchased their bullet guide kit for $26. Since I'll be triggering 922r with the hi-caps, I also purchased their Tapco factory trigger set (2 compliance parts) for $65 and the Tapco Intrafuse Saiga Handguard (1 compliance part) for $42. If you enter "Saiga" in the coupon box, you get free shipping for orders over $100. I still need to purchase some US made followers for my magazines as my last compliance part. I'll probably buy them at K-VAR.

With the new Tapco Intrafuse Saiga Handguard, you can remove the 3 picatinny rails if you want. What I'll wind up with is a Saiga that can accept my high-caps that will look almost like the factory Saiga. Like you, I kinda like the Monte Carlo buttstock. I wish someone in the US made the factory type handguard too so I could keep it looking exactly like it came from the factory. I couldn't find any floorplates for metal magazines as my last compliance part. That would have been perfect because then I could have kept the factory handguard. I didn't want to re-build my Chinese hi-caps into poly mags so I could use US made floorplates. I like the looks of those old metal Chinese mags. So basically if someone made either a US made original handguard OR US made floorplates for metal mags I would've been set. But I can't find either.

http://www.tapco.com/products/images/uploads/STK07320BLACK.jpg

ae13291
02-28-2010, 8:42 PM
if i can get enough interest i can start making bullet guides for saigas and sell them for less then half the cost then most sites that sell them.i need a AK mag to design one tho

rarf
03-01-2010, 11:25 AM
Why not use US-made Tapco followers to get the last compliance part?

69Mach1
03-01-2010, 11:36 AM
If you want to save a bit of money and time, find an Arsenal SGL-10. The front half is already converted. It has a new Russian gas block and front sight base. A US muzzle brake, two US FCG parts, and a US front handguard.

http://www.topgunsupply.com/images/D/Saiga_SGL10.jpg

69Mach1
03-01-2010, 11:39 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=119453

rarf
03-01-2010, 11:42 AM
You'll still have the same 922-compliance issues if you use more-than-10-rounder-mags with the SGL-10.

69Mach1
03-01-2010, 12:58 PM
You'll still have the same 922-compliance issues if you use more-than-10-rounder-mags with the SGL-10.

I know. That is why an SGL-10 is the best platform for a high cap mag mod. One would only need to add one more US part.

SJgunguy24
03-01-2010, 1:04 PM
I look at the Saiga as a platform for customization. You know the gun runs, not like some kit guns that might have issues or need to be sent back to be fixed.

13204u
03-01-2010, 3:13 PM
The Arsenal SGL-10 is EXACTLY what I want to end up with. The difference would be I am assuming is that I would still have to add a bullet guide for regular mags. Though I don't own any I would much rather have the ability for it to take them if I ever move out of state. The only thing I don't like is the price tag. You could add a tiny bit more money and have an already configured unit. It figures this would be unreasonably priced...

69Mach1
03-01-2010, 4:07 PM
You can score an SGL-10 on GB for roughly $500. Their still a great value.

rarf
03-01-2010, 4:12 PM
$500 is a very decent price, the front end is the hardest part of the conversion of a Saiga without the proper tools, just a bolt-on retainer runs $85 from Dinzqg Arms.

13204u
03-01-2010, 4:30 PM
Hmmm, I am searching and don't see any in that range out on the net. I guess I am going to have to play the waiting game I suppose.