PDA

View Full Version : Why is the Remington 700 platform so popular?

Retzius
02-28-2010, 2:44 PM
Hello.

Having owned a number of bolt action rifles including the Remington 700 I do not understand why it is such a popular platform. It shoots very well with the right amount of TLC but doesnt seem to offer any advantage compared to other brands.

Compared to other rifles in the same price point, I don't find it to be all that outstanding. In fact, the only reason I can see it having taken off like it has is because it is cheap to manufacture and sell.

Right now I am shooting a Winchester Model 70 Coyote Light in 270 wsm. When comparing both the quality of the action, the trigger, and the quality of the hardware during bolt disassembly I found the Winchester parts to be of a better quality. In addition, the controlled feed is much more positive than the Remington push feed.

Just wondering why you think a fairly bare bones push feed bolt action has become a "standard". I think its because its cheap to manufacture and sells at a low price point..

What am I missing? :cool2:

God Bless The Mauser
02-28-2010, 2:48 PM
It's a good rifle, affordable, lots of aftermarket parts ect.

Noobert
02-28-2010, 2:50 PM
Time tested

Pryde
02-28-2010, 3:04 PM
Compared to the M70, the 700 is a lot cheaper to manufacture and a lot easier to work on. That is why it is more popular. One example would be that the 700 barrel does not require a breachface relief cut for the extractor, so any old schmuck can simply screw on and headspace a barrel, you do not need to make a precise machining operation. The receiver is basically just a tube, so they can mass produce them at a far greater rate than the M70 receivers.

X-NewYawker
02-28-2010, 3:14 PM
Compared to the M70, the 700 is a lot cheaper to manufacture and a lot easier to work on. That is why it is more popular. One example would be that the 700 barrel does not require a breachface relief cut for the extractor, so any old schmuck can simply screw on and headspace a barrel, you do not need to make a precise machining operation. The receiver is basically just a tube, so they can mass produce them at a far greater rate than the M70 receivers.

100 % Dead on. The flat bottomed action on the old 70 required more fitting to sit "right" in the stock then the round Reminton tube action. Since M70s and M700s were pretty much most of domestic market back then, Rems were the one. My first H-S takedown tactical rifles were built by them on 700s before they started to make their own action.

Only recently have these new actions like the Surgeon come to the fore. They have put pressure on Remington, and now the custom shop at Rem. uses the 40-X action and barrel, which is trued and blueprinted, instead of the standard 700 action for their tactical line.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/IMG_4415.jpg

chrisw
02-28-2010, 3:33 PM
I think that it has a good "reputation" that helps carry it's popularity now.

xounlistedxox
02-28-2010, 4:16 PM
From what I've seen the 700 seems popular for many of the same reasons AR's, Ruger 10/22, Glocks, 870's and 1911's are. Tons of aftermarket support, somewhat inexpensive to get and easy to fix/upgrade by the end user.

swerv512
02-28-2010, 4:55 PM
I love M700s simply because they are reliable, fairly accurate out the box, and easy to find aftermarket goodies for.

Seesm
02-28-2010, 5:55 PM
Time tested and solid proven design... Nuff said. Yes there are now alot more options out but the 700 platform is still one of those...

KING_PALM
02-28-2010, 5:58 PM
every one wants to have the same gear the military snipers have.... come on now that was a given...:TFH::TFH:

mif_slim
02-28-2010, 6:07 PM
Why is the Remington 700 platform so popular?

because its millitary issue. If its millitary issue its gotta be good!

:P

But IMO, most of all my friends who dont even know anything about rifles or havent even touched a gun in real life know it because of COD4 and such games. So when they chit chat, they always mention about buying a rifle and that is going to be a Rem 700. Because that is the only one they know. If Im seeing this, Im sure the world has got to have more of these type of people...so you hear/read about it on forums, conversations etc and it becomes popular.

IMHO I take a savage over a Rem700 any day. Far less in price, far better accuracy out of the box and it comes with a adjustable trigger which is always a plus!

Friar_Tuck
02-28-2010, 6:51 PM
I thought it was because of the safety breeching. Previous to the 700, only seen on a few rifles. (japanese did it on the Arisaka) I can't name any others that did it before the Rem 700 series. Safety breech is where the bolt actually goes inside the barrel making for a much tighter seal. Remington was not the first to use this but Remington was the first large scale manufacturer to mass produce rifles with this breech style. I think that's their claim to fame with the 700.

Clearance on a good safety breech is 2 to 5 THOUSANTHS which handles extreme overpressure (protecting the user, hence the "safety breech name)
Conventional breech have up to 30 thousanths clearance between bolt and breech/barrel allowing molten brass to explode gun in an overpressure situation.

Retzius
02-28-2010, 6:56 PM
Hello and thanks for all the replies.

I guess my original thoughts were pretty much accurate. I was hoping there was something I was missing but I guess not...

No doubt the 700 is a decent platform that can grow as you add aftermarket stuff. However, since the platform that you start with is really your weakest point I recommend you guys try some other platforms if you get the opportunity.

I was totally content with the 700 until I started shooting some controlled feed Mauser style actions and I like them much much better. I also like the extractor style that the Mauser actions offer; you can lightly flick out the brass or launch it depending on how vigorously you cycle the bolt.

Good conversation. Ill be heading out to Angeles soon if any of you guys are interested in a meet up. Have a good week.

RT13
02-28-2010, 8:13 PM
This thread reminds me of the "Why Glocks" thread, lol.:)

Just as I answered with that thread, they are battle proven, time tested, uber reliable, uber simple, accurate, cheap, and has lots of aftermarket support. Simplicity plus effectiveness is the key to any product.

Everyone should own a Ruger 10/22, Glock, Remington 700, and AK47. All have the above qualities and are all great which proves my point.:D

Kerplow
02-28-2010, 9:03 PM
This thread reminds me of the "Why Glocks" thread, lol.:)

Just as I answered with that thread, they are battle proven, time tested, uber reliable, uber simple, accurate, cheap, and has lots of aftermarket support. Simplicity plus effectiveness is the key to any product.

Everyone should own a Ruger 10/22, Glock, Remington 700, and AK47. All have the above qualities and are all great which proves my point.:D

Really???:p

Trendkill
02-28-2010, 9:13 PM

Really..

DREADNOUGHT78
02-28-2010, 9:14 PM
100 % Dead on. The flat bottomed action on the old 70 required more fitting to sit "right" in the stock then the round Reminton tube action. Since M70s and M700s were pretty much most of domestic market back then, Rems were the one. My first H-S takedown tactical rifles were built by them on 700s before they started to make their own action.

Only recently have these new actions like the Surgeon come to the fore. They have put pressure on Remington, and now the custom shop at Rem. uses the 40-X action and barrel, which is trued and blueprinted, instead of the standard 700 action for their tactical line.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/IMG_4415.jpg

I knew you looked familiar!LOL!!!
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l128/detailed_inc/40386.jpg
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l128/detailed_inc/511R8D1XR8L__AA240_.jpg

FMJBT
02-28-2010, 9:20 PM
I guess I'm in the minority that have never been overly impressed with Remingtons. The debate always seems to center around Remington vs Savage. I own both platforms, and am of the opinion that there are a lot better designs available. Both have fairly weak extractors and rather clunky actions when compared to some of the competition (Sako, Tikka, T/C, even Howa) Remingtons largest single advantage is the huge amount of aftermarket parts and support available. Having said that, I still won't be selling my Sendero anytime soon :D

Trendkill
02-28-2010, 9:22 PM
[QUOTE=DREADNOUGHT78;3884556]I knew you looked familiar!LOL!!!
[QUOTE]

LMAO..!!!!!

Trendkill
02-28-2010, 9:26 PM
Since no one is replying to my thread....is the Rem 700 SPS Varmit 26bbl a good foundation for a build....or is there something better. Whats the best 700 foundation..??

Marine oifvet
02-28-2010, 9:29 PM
every one wants to have the same gear the military snipers have.... come on now that was a given...:TFH::TFH:

Not to pick on you, but just cause the armed forces uses them does not make them the best. And I would bet that had the armed forces not used the Rem 700 there would not be as much after market stuff for it. I think that CZ makes a way better rifle than the Rem 700.

FMJBT
02-28-2010, 9:40 PM
Since no one is replying to my thread....is the Rem 700 SPS Varmit 26bbl a good foundation for a build....or is there something better. Whats the best 700 foundation..??

5R Milspec.

StraightShooter
02-28-2010, 9:40 PM

Yes, thats an excellent starting foundation.

Trendkill
02-28-2010, 10:03 PM
5R Milspec.

What is this....???

KING_PALM
02-28-2010, 10:06 PM
Not to pick on you, but just cause the armed forces uses them does not make them the best. And I would bet that had the armed forces not used the Rem 700 there would not be as much after market stuff for it. I think that CZ makes a way better rifle than the Rem 700.

pick on me? sarcasm detector i know its hard to detect sarcasm through type.

Pryde
02-28-2010, 10:09 PM
What is this....???

Its just a 700 with a 5R rifled barrel.

I wouldn't worry about it. Tests have shown that the 5R barrel isn't any more accurate than a standard 700 barrel.

FMJBT
02-28-2010, 10:12 PM
What is this....???

http://www.snipercentral.com/milspec5r.phtml

Little known variant of the 700. Although the barrel contour isn't as thick as it's military counterparts, the rifling is cut to the same specs. The 5R rifling is supposed to impart less deformation on the bullet jacket, have less fouling, and generally have slightly higher velocities than standard rifling:

http://www.tcarms.com/technology/5r_rifling.php

Trendkill
02-28-2010, 10:16 PM
http://www.snipercentral.com/milspec5r.phtml

Little known variant of the 700. Although the barrel contour isn't as thick as it's military counterparts, the rifling is cut to the same specs. The 5R rifling is supposed to impart less deformation on the bullet jacket, have less fouling, and generally have slightly higher velocities than standard rifling:

http://www.tcarms.com/technology/5r_rifling.php

I thought T/C was using that....hmmm.

RT13
02-28-2010, 10:58 PM

LOL, I know, minus the accuracy, esp for the AK47.:D
Thought about it for a sec but posted anyway. The REM 700 accuracy out of the box is just excellent.

IrishPirate
02-28-2010, 11:01 PM
simple.....it's the best!

most other bolt actions were patterned after the 700.....not all, but most.

RobT2K
03-01-2010, 6:35 AM
http://thecia.com.au/reviews/j/images/joe-dirt-4.jpg

might as well ask why is a tree good? Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good?

ar15barrels
03-01-2010, 8:32 AM
I thought it was because of the safety breeching. Previous to the 700, only seen on a few rifles. (japanese did it on the Arisaka) I can't name any others that did it before the Rem 700 series. Safety breech is where the bolt actually goes inside the barrel making for a much tighter seal. Remington was not the first to use this but Remington was the first large scale manufacturer to mass produce rifles with this breech style. I think that's their claim to fame with the 700.

Clearance on a good safety breech is 2 to 5 THOUSANTHS which handles extreme overpressure (protecting the user, hence the "safety breech name)
Conventional breech have up to 30 thousanths clearance between bolt and breech/barrel allowing molten brass to explode gun in an overpressure situation.

Having fired a 700 with a round that made about 130,000 PSI and then seeing that the action was not even damaged beyond the extractor, I really like the 700 for the reasons stated above.
Any of the other designs would not have handled that pressure and stayed together.

God Bless The Mauser
03-01-2010, 12:12 PM

might as well ask why is a tree good? Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good?

They just are.

X-NewYawker
03-01-2010, 1:39 PM
M700 = Good
Boobs = GREAT

Rob454
03-01-2010, 2:53 PM
Personally I like the Savage over the Remington but to each his own.
The reason I would get a remi is be3cause it has a ton of aftermarket support, you can customize it to suit your needs and wants. I had a Winchester Model 70 and it was a good rifle. For some reason it seemed to have a really really hard kick compared to my Savage ( both 30-06) the only difference was Savage was wood stock the Winchester 70 was plastic stock.
other than that my choice would be Savage then Remington. I like having a more off beat rifle than just another tactical Remington 700.

Solidsnake87
03-01-2010, 2:54 PM

The BEST 700 foundation is actually the Lawton 7500 (and other similar) custom action.

If you want a top list of great actions, hit 6mmbr.com and look under their custom actions section.

http://www.6mmbr.com/actions.html

ar15barrels
03-01-2010, 3:03 PM
The BEST 700 foundation is actually the Lawton 7500

Many would argue that the Surgeon is the best. ;)

One piece receiver, scope rail and recoil lug.
One piece bolt body with a screw-on knob instead of a brazed-on handle like most others.

http://www.surgeonrifles.com/sites/surgeonrifles/uploads/images/short_action_repeater/100_shortr1.JPG

DREADNOUGHT78
03-01-2010, 11:47 PM

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang!