PDA

View Full Version : Getting into "Long Range"

josh vw
02-28-2010, 2:51 PM
Hi.
So I own a Mossy 500A for trap shooting.
Owned a WASR-10 for a while.
Plan on buying a Glock 19 later in December.

But I've decided that I really want to get into long range target shooting, and learn to become more accurate, and less wasteful of ammo.

I'm not looking to be shooting ridiculously far as in I spent $11,000 for a Cheytec M200 Intervention.. just starting out and want something that I won't outgrow.

I'm going to buy a Remington 700 SPS in .223.
As for scopes, I was wondering what your guys' opinions were?

Obviously, you get what you pay for and good glass is going to be almost, if not more, as the rifle itself.

I was looking at either a Leupold VX-II in 3-9 x 40mm or a Bushnell Elite 4200 in 3-9 x 40mm.. any other suggestions?

And any bipod suggestions?

Thanks! :)

StraightShooter
02-28-2010, 3:26 PM
What is your idea of long range? A .223 will only get you out so far.

Also, whats your budget?

OutlawDon
02-28-2010, 3:26 PM
Define long range shooting.

RawImpact
02-28-2010, 3:28 PM
Harris swivel bipod, not many other alternatives worth purchasing.

StraightShooter
02-28-2010, 3:29 PM
Here read this thread.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=214398

God Bless The Mauser
02-28-2010, 3:56 PM
An SPS Varmint in .308 would be a better choice.

josh vw
02-28-2010, 4:32 PM
Thanks guys for the info.

I just read that thread, really a huge a help!

Long range, I'm a complete noob to long rage shooting, so I was thinking start off small practicing at 100 yards, then hopefully be able to shoot up something up to 700ish? I hope to be able to get that good after practicing over and over again.

I'm willing to throw down around $700 for a rifle then $300 for some glass.

I was leaning towards a 700 in .223 for cheaper ammo, but is too much training wheels for a centerfire? A .308 would be a good, all-around caliber that will last me until I have years of expierence and $11,000 to throw down for a M200 ;)

rksimple
02-28-2010, 4:39 PM
Do you reload?

If you really want to get into it, start with the 308 and not the 223. The 223 with the right ammo will get you out to 600 pretty well. It depends on what you want it to do when it gets there though. Do you want to hunt with it? Shoot in matches? Etc.

Try to find a good deal on an SPS-V in 308 and get a Bushnell 3200 10x mildot. Most scopes in the 300 dollar range don't offer much more than that scope and are not as reliable either. Save your money and upgrade to a better scope when you have a little experience behind the rifle at distance.

josh vw
02-28-2010, 4:49 PM
Nope, don't reload :/
I really should learn to though.

I'm not much of a hunting guy, I'm more of a "head out to BLM land with friends and try to test myself on how well I can put a bullet as far as I can and hit my target dead on" kind of guy.

I guess I'll keep my eyes peeled around here and in some stores for a used SPS-V .308 and I'll order the Bushnell 3200 10x mildot from online.

Thanks man!

quiksilvern7
02-28-2010, 5:12 PM
I have the vx-II and its a great scope, great warranty on them and they are very durable also. The elite is nice also, but I like the clarity of the VX better.

josh vw
02-28-2010, 5:17 PM
I have the vx-II and its a great scope, great warranty on them and they are very durable also. The elite is nice also, but I like the clarity of the VX better.

Sorry if this is a noob question, but with a Leupold (as with a VX-II), you can choose from a variety of reticles as opposed to say a Bushnell, right?

pyro3k2
02-28-2010, 5:34 PM
You need to jump down to the percision rifle club sub-channel, there are amazing stickies about every quest you have. It breaks it down cave man simple, even scope choices. They wont send you in the wrong direction and keep you from wasting money on products that don't work for your intended applications. but to answer the origional question remington 700 in .308 is the only option for rifles due to the vast mount of after market parts and upgrades. 308 has the best ammo options if you don't reload or plan on reloading for a while aswell as it's very easy to find. Optics, I am a little fuzzy on but ar15barrels should be along soon to save the day.

russ69
02-28-2010, 5:48 PM
The 1/9 twist of the Rem SPS will not be suitable for bullets that are effective to 700 yards, you'll need at least a 1/8 twist and a 77 grain bullet to get to 600 yards. A heavy barrel AR will be a better choice or a 260 rem or 308. I get no joy shooting a 308 bolt gun but if you can handle that, you'll be better off.

Thanx, Russ

rksimple
02-28-2010, 6:31 PM
Sorry if this is a noob question, but with a Leupold (as with a VX-II), you can choose from a variety of reticles as opposed to say a Bushnell, right?

Leupold has a mildot and their TMR. But you need to do a little bit of research as to the requirements for long range optics...total internal adjustment being one of great importance. Most VxII's IIRC don't have the amount of adjustment required for long range.