PDA

View Full Version : Bunch of AK problems / questions

SVPRApps
02-28-2010, 12:50 PM
I have a WASR 10/63 (Romanian AK47).

1. How to remove the wooden furniture? I can only remove the top half which is the gas piston part but I can't remove the butt stock nor the hand guard

2. My front sight is canted to the left, how do I adjust it?

3. My fire control group gets loose while shooting, I've been recommended to get a "retaining plate" for this very type of problem?

Yes I did use the search function, didn't really turn up that much results.

69Mach1
02-28-2010, 12:53 PM
1. Remove the two screws that attach the butt stock to the rifles rear trunnion. Then pull real hard. ;)
Once you have the upper handguard/gas tube off, flip the lower HG retainer lever up to release the HG retainer. Push it forward and pop off your lower HG.

2. You can't really adjust a canted front sight easily. Just leave it alone.

3. Make sure the hook inside of the receiver is in the notch on both axis pins. Make sure you have one in there. Replacing it with a retaining plate is recommended.

thedrickel
02-28-2010, 1:47 PM
Is the front sight base canted, or does the front sight just need adjustment? You can buy the tapco front sight adjuster for 10 bucks online or at any gun show.

redneckshootist
02-28-2010, 1:51 PM
if you want you can bring it by my shop and Ill fix it for ya and show ya anything else you want to know about it. We do specialize in the ak as far as builds and repairs.

SVPRApps
02-28-2010, 2:25 PM
1. Remove the two screws that attach the butt stock to the rifles rear trunnion. Then pull real hard. ;)
Once you have the upper handguard/gas tube off, flip the lower HG retainer lever up to release the HG retainer. Push it forward and pop off your lower HG.

2. You can't really adjust a canted front sight easily. Just leave it alone.

3. Make sure the hook inside of the receiver is in the notch on both axis pins. Make sure you have one in there. Replacing it with a retaining plate is recommended.
thanks a lot!.

well my front sight itself is seated to the left too much. not the actual sight but the "pointy" part.

you know how there's a U and an "i"? well the "i" is too much to the left.

PS. Do i have to remove the pistol grip in order for the butt stock to be removed? its very stuck and stiff

Is the front sight base canted, or does the front sight just need adjustment? You can buy the tapco front sight adjuster for 10 bucks online or at any gun show.
see above
if you want you can bring it by my shop and Ill fix it for ya and show ya anything else you want to know about it. We do specialize in the ak as far as builds and repairs.

that sounds good i'll keep it in mind

69Mach1
02-28-2010, 2:35 PM
You can drift the sight drum left or right, but shoot it first to see if it's actually hitting where it's supposed to be before you adjust it. A hammer and punch is all you need, or pick up a windage adj. too. The pistol grip does not need to be removed to remove the butt stock, but remove it anyway so you have more room to work with. For stubborn stocks, I like to put some oil in between the stock and the side of the receiver and let sit (muzzle down) for a few hours. Then I'll try punching it out through the back of the receiver with a hammer and wood dowl.

SVPRApps
02-28-2010, 3:01 PM
You can drift the sight drum left or right, but shoot it first to see if it's actually hitting where it's supposed to be before you adjust it. A hammer and punch is all you need, or pick up a windage adj. too. The pistol grip does not need to be removed to remove the butt stock, but remove it anyway so you have more room to work with. For stubborn stocks, I like to put some oil in between the stock and the side of the receiver and let sit (muzzle down) for a few hours. Then I'll try punching it out through the back of the receiver with a hammer and wood dowl.

I have shot it and its definitely off, I have to "lead" my shots 3-4 shots to get it where i want it to hit. which is to the right but the slightly left sight is messing me up.

oh and i did manage to get the butt stock off, i had to bang it pretty hard against the ground with a pillow for protection.

i will probably look into getting some black polymer plastic stock furniture sets for this thing as the current wood is ugly

SJgunguy24
02-28-2010, 3:03 PM
The problem is you need to get stinking drunk by pounding down multible bottles of Stoli then pop a couple of shots. Bet you that thing shoots straight.

Shoulda got a Saiga

SVPRApps
02-28-2010, 3:09 PM
The problem is you need to get stinking drunk by pounding down multible bottles of Stoli then pop a couple of shots. Bet you that thing shoots straight.

Shoulda got a Saiga

didnt want to go through the process/cost of converting it to "look" like an AK :D
(i know functionally they are the same, but i'm a looks kind of guy, i'll be the kind of guy to get kits for my car to look like an exotic european import than buy the real deal)

...im pretty sure stoli are the shots! not the beer

CSACANNONEER
02-28-2010, 3:32 PM
Before you go and adjust the sites, have another shooter or two shoot it. A friend of mine has a problem with iron sites and always shoots several DEGREES off target. I've shot his guns and they shoot just fine but, he has developed some bad habit which consistantly throws his shots off to the left or right (I forget). Anyway, bench your rifle and have some good shooters (not just yahoos, mall ninjas or buddies) do the same.

BTW, converting a Saiga into an AK will be the ONLY way that you will be able to own a REAL Russian made AK. All a Saiga is is an AK which was produced with a sporting stock on it.