PDA

View Full Version : Extractor problems?

EMT John
02-28-2010, 11:01 AM
So I was at Lincolns rifle range today to shoot my newly built AR-15. I shot off a couple of rounds when my casings stoped ejecting. So everytime I would have to drop the mag and cycle the bolt again to eject the casing. It's a new BCG and never shot it before. Ammo was remington .223 Brass casings. Any ideas?

Josh3239
02-28-2010, 11:24 AM
Gas system length?
Lubricated?
Get hotter ammo, 5.56mm not .223.
After how many rounds did it stop cycling?
BCG manufacturer?

EMT John
02-28-2010, 11:39 AM
20"
yes lubed
I would like to still shoot .223
4 rounds
YHM BCG

IsaacGlass
02-28-2010, 11:44 AM
Which brand mag were you using?

Josh3239
02-28-2010, 11:44 AM
So it is actually extracting but not ejecting or is it failing to do both?

Josh3239
02-28-2010, 11:45 AM
Which brand mag were you using?

:confused: He isn't having any sort of feeding problems, OP said it feeds fine. It is the extraction or ejection that is having problems. That magazine plays no part, that is all the gas system and the BCG.

SJOHN
02-28-2010, 12:01 PM
YHM BCG? Dont hear too many people using these.

EMT John
02-28-2010, 12:14 PM
No it's not chrome.

It's not extracting or ejecting.
The BCG slides back just fine but it doesn't grab the casing. So I have to drop the mag and cycle it go extract the casing.

Noah3683
02-28-2010, 12:17 PM
did you spray lube in the barrel? that will make cases stick in there too. I know most people are smart enough not to do that, but you never know

SCMA-1
02-28-2010, 12:22 PM
If the spent cartridge is not making it out of the chamber, then it is most likely the extractor spring and perhaps the extractor itself but that is rare. Change the extractor spring for a good 4 coil type and you should be GTG.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Extractor-Spring-Uprade-Kit-p/bcm extractor spring upgrade.htm

Noah3683
02-28-2010, 12:27 PM
If the spent cartridge is not making it out of the chamber, then it is most likely the extractor spring and perhaps the extractor itself but that is rare. Change the extractor spring for a good 4 coil type and you should be GTG.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Extractor-Spring-Uprade-Kit-p/bcm extractor spring upgrade.htm

What he said. If it is a yhm upper it will most likely have a cmt bolt with the blue spring setup

IsaacGlass
02-28-2010, 12:34 PM
:confused: He isn't having any sort of feeding problems, OP said it feeds fine. It is the extraction or ejection that is having problems. That magazine plays no part, that is all the gas system and the BCG.

Noted. For some reason I was fixated on the mag. Brain fart.:o

SJOHN
02-28-2010, 12:37 PM
No it's not chrome.

It's not extracting or ejecting.
The BCG slides back just fine but it doesn't grab the casing. So I have to drop the mag and cycle it go extract the casing.

Is there any marking on the casing rim? maybe you should have the headspace check?

Josh3239
02-28-2010, 12:46 PM
To be 100% sure you killed the issue, and because it is a bolt bought from YHM, you could take a step up and grab the BCM Sopmod Upgrade (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-SOPMOD-Bolt-Upgrade-Rebuild-Kit-p/bcm%20bolt%20upgrade%20kit.htm). My personal opinion is to sell the cheapo YHM and get a correctly made bolt by BCM here (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-AR15-Bolt-Assembly-MPI-p/bcm%20bolt%20assemly%20mp.htm).

Noah3683
02-28-2010, 12:58 PM
^this..... if you have the funding upgrade the BCG all together

aplinker
02-28-2010, 1:41 PM
I wouldn't buy anything until I checked what the issue is.

If it were me I'd break down the whole bolt and see if there's anything obvious.

A 20" rifle shouldn't need the carbine upgrades.

EMT John
02-28-2010, 2:10 PM
This is my upper: Bushmaster upper with 20" chrome lined barrel, keyhole marked receiver, YHM Light Weight free-float quad rails, YHM flip-up front sight integrated gas block, A2 flash hider. Barrel has marking "B MP 5.56 NATO 1/7", YHM BCG and CH.

I've taken the bolt Part and the extractor. I don't see any obvious issue. I think I'm going to take it to Sacramento black rifle tomarrow and see what they say. Thanks for the help everyone.

aplinker
02-28-2010, 2:17 PM
did you inspect your brass?

I would look for any stretch (shiny) marks.

If the bolt is working properly (extractor has good tension & ejector is strong), then there could be issues with an improperly formed chamber or headspacing.

coop44
02-28-2010, 6:03 PM
did you inspect your brass?

I would look for any stretch (shiny) marks.

If the bolt is working properly (extractor has good tension & ejector is strong), then there could be issues with an improperly formed chamber or headspacing.

AHA!! someone finally asked about the brass. Checking the brass is the FIRST thing you should do. If a chamber is rough it will slow down extraction sometimes allowing the extractor to slip off of the cartridge, or, slow down the carrier enough to cause a stovepipe or partial ejection/extraction.

You will notice a frosted appearance to the brass if you have a rough chamber.

EMT John
02-28-2010, 6:15 PM
Well I don't know what a "frosted" look looks like but I did notice a indent I guess you would call it at the end of the casing on the side. Maybe the extractor wasn't reaching up all the way? I have no idea if that helps.

xounlistedxox
02-28-2010, 6:41 PM
If you're going to SBR then that means you must be local to Sacramento. I have an extra O-Ring upgrade for the extractor spring I would give you for free if this is the case. I'm pretty sure that SBR has them in stock for next to nothing.

aplinker
02-28-2010, 6:53 PM
Did we establish that the rifle was actually cycling?

I would check the gas key and gas tube mating, as well as the key's attachment (secure) to the carrier, if not...

Lead-Thrower
02-28-2010, 7:46 PM
A friend of mine had the same problem as the OP. Casings were not being extracted and were sticking in the chamber. We analyzed one of the spent casings and to our surprise, the section of the rim that the extractor was in contact with was gone! So we scratched our heads, wondering why the extractor was ripping the rims off of the casings and not extracting. We never did find a definite answer, but we think it may be because the insides of his rifle were way overlubed... the bcg was literally dripping with lube when i pulled it out of the receiver for inspection! :eek:

xounlistedxox
02-28-2010, 9:45 PM
A friend of mine had the same problem as the OP. Casings were not being extracted and were sticking in the chamber. We analyzed one of the spent casings and to our surprise, the section of the rim that the extractor was in contact with was gone! So we scratched our heads, wondering why the extractor was ripping the rims off of the casings and not extracting. We never did find a definite answer, but we think it may be because the insides of his rifle were way overlubed... the bcg was literally dripping with lube when i pulled it out of the receiver for inspection! :eek:

I had this exact same problem on an upper a couple years ago(DPMS). I purchased an extra power wolff extractor spring and like magic this problem went away.

coop44
03-02-2010, 1:18 AM
A lot of the "sticking in the chamber" problems you guys experience can be attributed to rough chambers. the barrel makers crank out chambers so fast they do a pretty poor job of it, shavings get caught in the reamer and score the chamber. The brass then expands to fit the rough sides of the chamber, at worse locking it in the chamber or at the least slowing extraction.

I will try and find pics of frosted brass and post them.

I usually polish my suspect chambers, but, I don't want to tell you how I do it, it is a delicate operation, and I don't want to get the blame if some one screws up a barrel. Take it to a competent smith.