PDA

View Full Version : Mini 14 Vise Block

Calif Mini
02-28-2010, 10:55 AM
Calgunners, just thought some of you may be interested in a Vise Block for a Mini 14 as I have not seen any available anywhere.

This was made for my own Mini and is for information only.

It holds secure and is easy to mount by tilting as shown in one pic.

I did use a steel insert for the mag catch "notch" as the Delrin may not hold up to the continuous usage.

I would like to hear some feedback on this block and am looking for a better idea to implement.

Californio
02-28-2010, 12:28 PM
That looks interesting. Does the block lock the bolt back? Some times when cleaning without the 5 round in place I will trip the bolt when cleaning the chamber, ouch.

I would buy one if it locks the bolt also.

Calif Mini
02-28-2010, 1:20 PM
This one is cut to clear the bolt so the action can be actuated.

I believe there can be a small insert added to activate the bolt catch.

Something I did not consider while building this. Should be easy to add.

Great idea and addition.

Thanks, Ed

Calif Mini
03-11-2010, 10:37 AM
Californio:

I tried the lock back function on the Mini-14 Vise Block and several things took place.

First the area to install the button to actuate the bolt lock was restricted. Very small area in which to work.

Second the button would not allow the bolt to be released and had to remove the rifle off the block to release the bolt just like when you have an empty mag.

Then it is impossible to work the action which is a benefit of having the Vise Block in the first place.

Your idea had merits but doesn't look like it would be practical in actual everyday usage.

Thanks for your input.
Ed Roberts

Calif Mini
03-19-2010, 8:38 PM
Are there any Mini-14 & 30 owners in Fremont willing to assist me in the fitting of vise blocks for them.

You can get a first look at one and actually try it on your own and decide if this is something for you to have......and give your own ideas for improvement.

Please contact me at....... Mini-14@EdsMetalShop.com

Thanks, Ed

ar15barrels
03-19-2010, 9:35 PM
What would a mini 14 vise block actually be used for?
I understand the need in AR's, but what tasks require the mini action to be fixed in such a fashion?

Calif Mini
03-19-2010, 9:49 PM
Hi Randall:

I have had several requests for them and although not as functional as they are on an AR, they can be used during cleaning, mounting scopes and I personally use mine to have the rifle held solidly while simply pulling the trigger and feeling the action.

I know this may sound frivolous but I hate to have it sliding around in the various cleaning rests commonly used.

I recently made 2 blocks for someone that were requested to be adapted to a Tipton vise with the groove down the middle, so he could use all the different features as he wished. Wish I had taken some pics before I shipped them. One of a kind.

Thanks, Ed

ar15barrels
03-19-2010, 9:55 PM
they can be used during cleaning, mounting scopes and I personally use mine to have the rifle held solidly while simply pulling the trigger and feeling the action.

ok, I can see that working well, especially for someone that does not already have one of those typical cleaning caddies.