PDA

View Full Version : Reproduction FP-45 Liberator Pistols Are Here!

Knight
02-27-2010, 9:02 PM
Awhile back, some of our members were talking about (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=138918) the possibility of a run of reproduction FP-45 Liberators (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberator_pistol).

Well, folks, now you too can own a piece of history, thanks to Vintage Ordnance (http://vintageordnance.com/).

http://vintageordnance.homestead.com/files/FP45Photos/MONTAGE_SIZE_20_5x7.jpg

The new Vintage Ordnance Co. FP-45

It was the most widely produced and distributed clandestine weapon of all time yet virtually none survive. Now, the nearly impossible hole in every WWII military pistol collection has finally been filled by VINTAGE ORDNANCE CO. LLC. For the first time collectors can own a superbly precise reproduction complete with packaging & instructions, for a fraction of the $2500-$5000 cost of the ultra-rare original. (It is estimated that fewer than 300 boxes survive making them even rarer than the pistol itself.) Our replica is copied from the original plans and corrected against the actual pistols. The existing plans are not correct and this is not uncommon with wartime designed materiel. Inconsistencies between the finished product and the plans are typically due to the urgency of production. Often design adjustments were made on the factory floor and never recorded on the drawings.

There's just two wee, tiny little snags that might turn you off to this particular offer. Almost not worth mentioning. But oh well, probably should throw them out there:

It costs $599.50. Plus shipping & handling.
Each pistol comes with it's own personal warning: "WE STRONGLY ADVISE CUSTOMERS NOT TO FIRE THE PISTOL."

I'm a little biased about this offer in that I generally make it a rule to avoid guns that cost, oh I don't know, $600 and aren't even rated as safe enough by the manufacturer to actually be fired. But I'm certain that others feel differently. So, here you go CalGunners, submitted for your approval.

gunsmithcats
02-27-2010, 9:04 PM
well its roster exempt cause its singel shot yes?

Knight
02-27-2010, 9:05 PM
well its roster exempt cause its singel shot yes?

That is affirmative. Which is actually ironic, in a way. A handgun that isn't even safe enough to fire more than a few shots in its lifetime, and can easily discharge if dropped, is exempt from the safe handgun roster. Go figure.

dfletcher
02-27-2010, 9:17 PM
Doesn't single shot need to meet some dimension requirements? I've got a bunch of T/Cs - I guess I should know this .....

If I got one, I'd fire it. Can't be a whole lot worse than a Bond Derringer in 45 Colt.

Swift Justice
02-27-2010, 9:26 PM
Methinks it does not qualify for single shot roster exemption due to barrel length...

M47_Dragon
02-27-2010, 9:30 PM
It would be really cool if it came with one .45 round and the original "instructions."

Knight
02-27-2010, 9:32 PM
Methinks it does not qualify for single shot roster exemption due to barrel length...

You could be right. If so, my mistake.

Quiet
02-28-2010, 8:58 AM
It does not meet the single-shot exemption.

Barrel length needs to be 6" or greater and OAL needs to be greater than 10.5".

Penal Code 12133
(b) The provisions of this chapter shall not apply to a single-shot pistol with a barrel length of not less than six inches and that has an overall length of at least 10 1/2 inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and barrel are assembled.

B Strong
02-28-2010, 9:08 AM
The original ones weren't any great shakes either - they were truely meant to be a disposable tool.

I remember as a kid hearing about one that Kb'd while being fired by a customer at my father's range, and the guy telling the tale had a scarred up hand to prove it.

WokMaster1
02-28-2010, 9:09 AM
It does not meet the single-shot exemption.

Barrel length needs to be 6" or greater and OAL needs to be greater than 10.5".

Penal Code 12133
(b) The provisions of this chapter shall not apply to a single-shot pistol with a barrel length of not less than six inches and that has an overall length of at least 10 1/2 inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and barrel are assembled.

Damn, the Liberator name would have to be changed to "Nuetered" then.:)

windrunner50
02-28-2010, 11:02 AM
Neat pistol......overpriced IMHO for what it is.

AJAX22
02-28-2010, 11:06 AM
There is a very quick and easy way to adapt that to CA compliance...

Simply take a piece of barrel blank over 10 inches long, turn it to the shape of a .45 cartridge and drop it in.

bingo..

single shot thats dimensionally compliant.

jumbopanda
02-28-2010, 11:20 AM
"Though our reproduction is sold as a firearm and exceeds the mechanical strength of the original through the use of superior materials and vastly tighter chamber and headspace tolerances, WE STRONGLY ADVISE CUSTOMERS NOT TO FIRE THE PISTOL. During production in 1942, several examples were taken from the assembly line to test under repetitive fire. Reports indicated that after 50 rounds of service ball ammunition the testers felt the weapons were no longer safe to fire. They were simply never designed handle a steady diet of powerful .45 ACP. They were made to fire ten rounds. They are what they are."

*facepalm*

That's a rather expensive display piece.

Peter W Bush
02-28-2010, 11:22 AM
These were designed to be built as cheap as possible and they want to sell as repro for what I paid for my 92FS?

jumbopanda
02-28-2010, 11:39 AM
These were designed to be built as cheap as possible and they want to sell as repro for what I paid for my 92FS?

Yea, they cost $2.40 in 1942, and adjusted for inflation that would be about $30 today. PLUS THEY'RE NOT DESIGNED TO BE FIRED!

crazy
02-28-2010, 11:56 AM
They should drop about 50,000 into IRAN for the protesters fighting the enlightened government. Even at $600 a piece, it would cost less than a handful of cruise missiles that we are eventually going to be shooting at them.

NorcalGSG
02-28-2010, 4:24 PM
"From the US with love..."

pullnshoot25
02-28-2010, 4:41 PM
In large quantities these could be produced very cheaply. So drop a half million on Iran then. While we're at it we could do this for the people of any other tyrannical state. A lot cheaper than sending troops and fighting their wars for them. Think of it as exporting the second amendment.

This :)

DougJ
02-28-2010, 4:51 PM
In large quantities these could be produced very cheaply. So drop a half million on Iran then. While we're at it we could do this for the people of any other tyrannical state. A lot cheaper than sending troops and fighting their wars for them. Think of it as exporting the second amendment.

:yes: It worked in France... Why not give it a - um... Shot?

B.D.Dubloon
02-28-2010, 5:02 PM
Are the plans for those available online?

dfletcher
02-28-2010, 5:09 PM
There is a very quick and easy way to adapt that to CA compliance...

Simply take a piece of barrel blank over 10 inches long, turn it to the shape of a .45 cartridge and drop it in.

bingo..

single shot thats dimensionally compliant.

I wonder if the barrel is even rifled, I don't believe the original was. Does that cause a problem in CA?

jumbopanda
02-28-2010, 5:11 PM
I wonder if the barrel is even rifled, I don't believe the original was. Does that cause a problem in CA?

The barrel on the repro IS rifled.

Seesm
02-28-2010, 5:12 PM
I remember the old post about these and someone was going to sell some plans to make them I think...

I would make one IF cheap and it would be cool to have but at that price it hurts to think about owning one at that price.