PDA

View Full Version : New guy...Looking for first gun

Collin
02-27-2010, 5:05 PM
Hey guys,

I've finally decided to take the plunge and look into a gun for home defense. My dad was a big hunter/ gun collector but unfortunately he died before I could really learn much about guns. He had an extensive gun collection that was supposed to go to my brother when we were of age but my uncle was holding onto them and skipped town and sold the guns never to be seen since. Anyways, I would like to start my own collection so that someday I can pass them on.

Looking to start off with a Remington 870 but want to do some research first and get more familiar with guns.

mojavefox
02-27-2010, 5:41 PM
Welcome to calguns. I am sorry to hear about your misfortunes but you seem to have a very good attitude about things now. Bless you for that! Right now Turners has a Remington 870 on sale. Shotguns are great for self defense because of the bird shot "spray" patterns and will not travel through too many walls :D.

Link:http://www.turners.com/engage/displayads.php

Collin
02-27-2010, 6:08 PM
Welcome to calguns. I am sorry to hear about your misfortunes but you seem to have a very good attitude about things now. Bless you for that! Right now Turners has a Remington 870 on sale. Shotguns are great for self defense because of the bird shot "spray" patterns and will not travel through too many walls :D.

Link:http://www.turners.com/engage/displayads.php

Damn, I was just there today checking out the Mosin Nagant for $99 (not a very good home defense gun).

Might be looking more for a used 870. I'm a poor college student so price is a factor but I am sure once I have one gun I will want many more and more expensive ones.

mojavefox
02-27-2010, 6:16 PM
Yes, for home defense it would be a bit impractical reaching for one of those at 3:00am at the sound of a loud crash. It looks like fun to shoot though! Good luck!

ledman
02-27-2010, 7:05 PM
Welcome to Cal-Guns! A Shotty is a great home defense weapon, I have a Mossberg 590, loaded up with "00" 9 pellet buckshot, just in case.

GL with you first purchase!

bsg
02-28-2010, 3:29 AM
welcome to the forum Collin. The remington is a fine shotgun. sorry to hear of your father's passing and the scoundrel who made off with his collection....

-Brady-

glockwise2000
02-28-2010, 8:03 AM
Welcome to Calguns.

Sorry to hear that you never even got any of your Dad's collection.

hammerhands32
02-28-2010, 9:19 AM
Welcome, Still kind of new here myself. Spend some time reading and learn to differentiate fact from opinion and you'll find this is the one of the greatest sites on the net.

By the way 870's are great (fact)

Remington is better than Mossberg(opinion)