PDA

View Full Version : What muzzle devices are long enough for perm on a 14.5 barrel.?

Trendkill
02-27-2010, 2:26 PM
I was wondering if the Phantom hiders comps and brakes are long enough for perm attachment on a 14.5 in barrel..??

If not...which ones are...??

Also...is welding it enough..??

Trendkill
02-27-2010, 2:30 PM
I need to make this legal....

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/PhotoGallery.asp?ProductCode=BCM%2DURG%2DM4%2D14

technique
02-27-2010, 2:32 PM
Phantoms are, Smith Vortex, extended A2, some PWS...

Trendkill
02-27-2010, 2:35 PM
Phantoms are, Smith Vortex, extended A2, some PWS...

Thanks man.....found a site that says the SC2 is 2 1/4 in long.

So is welding sufficient for perm attachment...??

technique
02-27-2010, 2:49 PM
Thanks man.....found a site that says the SC2 is 2 1/4 in long.

So is welding sufficient for perm attachment...??

2 1/4in. + crush washer should do. Just measure it all out.

What type of welding? I drill a hole in the FH, mount it, then drill slightly into the threading on the barrel via the hole through the FH...pop a small pin in there so it can be unscrewed....then weld that sucker in and grind smooth.

Sometimes finish it so you can't tell its been pinned.

Trendkill
02-27-2010, 3:01 PM
2 1/4in. + crush washer should do. Just measure it all out.

What type of welding? I drill a hole in the FH, mount it, then drill slightly into the threading on the barrel via the hole through the FH...pop a small pin in there so it can be unscrewed....then weld that sucker in and grind smooth.

Sometimes finish it so you can't tell its been pinned.

That sounds easy enough.....good idea...thanks.

I think my wife is really gonna like this rifle... ;)

Mozzetti
02-27-2010, 3:09 PM
Phantoms are for 14.7 inch barrels. Extended A2s on 14.5 inch barrels. This is what CMMG and Bravo Company uses.

If you didn't already order that upper, Bravo Company sells one like that already pinned and welded for a few bucks more.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-M4-14-5-Upper-Receiver-Group-A2X-p/bcm-urg-m4-14%20a2x.htm

Trendkill
02-27-2010, 3:30 PM
Ive never even heard of a 14.7 in.....if thats the case....I'll get a vortex or something.

I did see however that the phantoms are 2 1/4 inches in length.....not only that...but on the YHM website they were using the 5C2 pinned on 14.5 in barrels.

Right here..

http://www.yhm.net/store/AR_Barrels.html

technique
02-27-2010, 3:33 PM
Ive never even heard of a 14.7 in.....if thats the case....I'll get a vortex or something.

I did see however that the phantoms are 2 1/4 inches in length.....not only that...but on the YHM website they were using the 5C2 pinned on 14.5 in barrels.

Right here..

http://www.yhm.net/store/AR_Barrels.html

CMMG and others pin the 5c2 on, it's the right size for 14.5in.

Trendkill
02-27-2010, 3:35 PM
CMMG and others pin the 5c2 on, it's the right size for 14.5in.

Maybe its just the 5C2 only....damned if I wish I had a couple around to measure.

Lol

Trendkill
02-27-2010, 4:06 PM
Ive seen the YHM-5M1 pinned to 14.5 in barrels on a few different brands...so Im sure its good to go. Ordered it....just gotta wait a few days and complete the build.

Mike- I found that the 14.7 in barrels were used to pin the original A2 hiders.

xaaronx
02-27-2010, 11:17 PM
I dont know exact measurements, and how much over you want to go (exactly 16'' or 16.1'' or whateverm but you could do 13'' barrel with a Noveske pinned.

gun toting monkeyboy
02-27-2010, 11:36 PM
Can't you get nailed for constructive possession if you have an AR rifle lower and an upper with a barrel less than 16"? Even if you have the muzzle brake and are planning to attach permanently? Assuming that you don't have a pistol lower that you could reasonably claim it was going to be attached to until the muzzle device was welded on? And is simply welding the pin in sufficient? I was under the impression that there had to be a specific number of welds, or some such oddball rule. I don't know for sure, as I haven't looked into it lately. But I seem to remember there were some hurdles to just going out and buying a 14.5 incher...

FMJBT
02-27-2010, 11:39 PM
I dont know exact measurements, and how much over you want to go (exactly 16'' or 16.1'' or whateverm but you could do 13'' barrel with a Noveske pinned.

Unfortunately 13" won't quite make it, even with a Noveske KX3. It needs more like 13.7" to come out legal. You could go slightly less, maybe 13.5", but 13.7" is a standard size available from Noveske and White Oak Armament.

Trendkill
02-28-2010, 12:23 AM
Can't you get nailed for constructive possession if you have an AR rifle lower and an upper with a barrel less than 16"? Even if you have the muzzle brake and are planning to attach permanently? Assuming that you don't have a pistol lower that you could reasonably claim it was going to be attached to until the muzzle device was welded on? And is simply welding the pin in sufficient? I was under the impression that there had to be a specific number of welds, or some such oddball rule. I don't know for sure, as I haven't looked into it lately. But I seem to remember there were some hurdles to just going out and buying a 14.5 incher...

Thought crimes...???

afro
02-28-2010, 1:38 AM
Constructive possession is indeed a legit concern, believe it or not.

Not sure if it matters if you have a (couple) complete rifle(s) already and have a "pistol" length upper, for any amount of time, with no lower for it.

xaaronx
02-28-2010, 3:09 AM
Unfortunately 13" won't quite make it, even with a Noveske KX3. It needs more like 13.7" to come out legal. You could go slightly less, maybe 13.5", but 13.7" is a standard size available from Noveske and White Oak Armament.

I was going with this logic-

Noveske KX3- 3.28

13'' barrel + KX3 = 16.28"

You just need to be PERM. @ 16'' right? So you could even go with a 12 3/4'' barrel and still make it a smidge over 16''. You would have to get it cut down and maybe have the gas port drilled out(?) by ADCO, it can be done. I emailed them just the other day.

ETA Im not Pro at this, but thats what I came up with, and was something I was considering recently. I THINK it can be done.

tomd1584
02-28-2010, 10:33 AM
I was going with this logic-

Noveske KX3- 3.28

13'' barrel + KX3 = 16.28"

You just need to be PERM. @ 16'' right? So you could even go with a 12 3/4'' barrel and still make it a smidge over 16''. You would have to get it cut down and maybe have the gas port drilled out(?) by ADCO, it can be done. I emailed them just the other day.

ETA Im not Pro at this, but thats what I came up with, and was something I was considering recently. I THINK it can be done.

you're forgetting the overlap when you thread the KX3 ( or an other FH) on.

Trendkill
02-28-2010, 11:00 AM
Constructive possession is indeed a legit concern, believe it or not.

Not sure if it matters if you have a (couple) complete rifle(s) already and have a "pistol" length upper, for any amount of time, with no lower for it.

Well....Im going to be on the safe side and not have any lower in my posession till the pin/weld is done.

I dont want "bigbrother" to get me. :)

gun toting monkeyboy
02-28-2010, 11:36 AM
Well....Im going to be on the safe side and not have any lower in my posession till the pin/weld is done.

I dont want "bigbrother" to get me. :)

It is truly a sad commentary that we actually have to think about stupidity like this. Constructive possession is such a crock. :mad:

Trendkill
02-28-2010, 6:17 PM
It is truly a sad commentary that we actually have to think about stupidity like this. Constructive possession is such a crock. :mad:

Yup....it is.

It'll be easy as pie to do the pin and weld though...."Technique" gave me the run down on how to do it. I'll have it done in a few minutes....then I'll be good to go.

gun toting monkeyboy
02-28-2010, 7:40 PM
Sweet. Let us know how it turns out.

xaaronx
02-28-2010, 7:45 PM
you're forgetting the overlap when you thread the KX3 ( or an other FH) on.

Oh yeah durr hurr. You can still get damn short though.

Trendkill
02-28-2010, 8:15 PM
Sweet. Let us know how it turns out.

There will be pics coming....oh yes...they shall come.