PDA

View Full Version : What Pistol is in Your Bug Out Bag?

Nate74
02-27-2010, 2:03 PM
For years I've kept a bug out bag stashed and ready. MREs, first aid supplies, set of BDUs, maps & compass, water purificaiton tablets, etc. I also included several mags and a few boxes of ammo for my bedside pistol, thinking that I'd have the presence of mind to grab my gun, my bob and then oscar mike.

But 8 months ago with the birth of my daughter, my FS92 has moved from my night stand into the safe in the garage, well away from my bag and little hands.

I was thinking of putting it in a locked rug in my bob but it goes to the range with me enough that I don't want to have to dig it out for every shooting outing.

So do any of you keep a pistol full time in your bob? If so what is it and why did you pick it?

Thanks for your thoughts.

jyo
02-27-2010, 2:14 PM
Same as the one next to my bed---HK USP full-size 9mm (I have two) with 15 round pre-ban mags---this way both oh **** guns are the same and same ammo.

Nate74
02-27-2010, 3:03 PM
:cool2:Same as the one next to my bed---HK USP full-size 9mm (I have two) with 15 round pre-ban mags---this way both oh **** guns are the same and same ammo.

That makes sense. I don't know if I want to spend the $$$ for a second 92 to just sit in my bob, but maybe a "twin" of one of my other pistols.

Does a 22lr make an sense at all?

rgs1975
02-27-2010, 3:21 PM
Sig P245

gdun
02-27-2010, 4:33 PM
:cool2:

That makes sense. I don't know if I want to spend the $$$ for a second 92 to just sit in my bob, but maybe a "twin" of one of my other pistols.

Cheap, abundant ammo that you can pack a lot of. But other than that, not really to me. Not the best choice.

baldyviewdesignlab
02-27-2010, 4:41 PM

What do you want your Bug Out Gun to do?
.22 might be ok if you intend to hunt rabbits for food, but a larger round might be more versatile.

I keep one 1911 and one shotgun handy along with a variety of shot sizes.
The 1911 shoots just like the rest of my collection so no learning curve. Just muscle memory.
The intent with the shotgun is to use as personal defense and hunting if TSHTF.

MREs, Water pure pills, Energy bars, Gore Tex Clothing, and survival tools are the bulk of my Kit.

I would suggest packing what you shoot best with. It might be the one time in your life that you actually need to shoot to protect life, so do it right.

Sheepdog1968
02-27-2010, 4:44 PM
Given you already use a 92FS, I'd look for a used 92FS for the compatability and familiarity. If you've had to grab your BOB, you and your family and in a bad situation and I wouldn't want to be with something I don't feel as comfortable shooting. You might find a former LEO one that has carry wear but hasn't been shot much. I'd buy an issue of shotgun news and take a look as they have lots of LEO turn ins.

Lucky Scott
02-27-2010, 4:45 PM
I keep ammo for a .38, 9mm, and a few stripper clips of 7.62x39.
No guns though, they all go in a more secure location. The BOB is ready with ammo, food, water, supplies, just grab the guns and go.

IrishPirate
02-27-2010, 4:57 PM

makes perfect sense. you can carry plenty of ammo, and if you're a good shot it's just as effective as any other gun (because dead means dead, end of story). A .22lr rifle or handgun should be part of everyone's extended BOB for a real SHTF situation.

I haven't built my BOB into anything spectacular yet but all my gear is in one spot so it's easy to grab-and-go. a good way to get past the buying a gun just for a BOB is to make your range kit part of your BOB. just make sure you put it all back in one piece after you get back from the range and it's a BOB again. simple.

Nate74
02-27-2010, 5:08 PM
I was thinking about a .22 because of my Walther P22. It's small, reliable with high velocity ammo and pretty light. I only plink with it occassionally but not so much that I'd miss it as much as I'd miss my 92.

A used 92 is an interesting idea. I've had plenty of experience and training with the platform and have plenty of mags and parts, etc.

I'll check out shot gun news for sure.

ledman
02-27-2010, 6:04 PM
If I had a BOB, I guess I would put my S&W .40 in there, and my G19 as backup.

OneApart
02-27-2010, 6:07 PM
Heckler P2000SK

AK4me
02-27-2010, 6:09 PM
AK pistol:chris:

RogueSniper
02-27-2010, 6:16 PM
Besides you using the Beretta 92FS, what about your wife? Can she use it, too? If not, either get one for her, or one the both of you can use effectively. Maybe a 92 Compact, if you can find one used, will use the same mags as your 92FS, but will be more packable.

I have a Glock in my Bag with 4 mags in belt holsters plus a Colt 380 (plus another 4 mags) for whoever's coming along for the ride. The Colt is easy to shoot and manipulate for my "sidekick". I'd rather have a compact or sub Glock but it's not the top of my list right now of goodies to buy.

Ducman
02-27-2010, 7:49 PM
my BOB is a G17.

MarioS
02-28-2010, 1:30 AM
Glock. But it might get replaced by a 1911 soon. I chose a Glock because they have been shown to run reliably in almost any condition, and can do so while extremely filthy. Durable, reliable, and lightweight.

Nate74
02-28-2010, 6:42 AM
Besides you using the Beretta 92FS, what about your wife? Can she use it, too? If not, either get one for her, or one the both of you can use effectively. Maybe a 92 Compact, if you can find one used, will use the same mags as your 92FS, but will be more packable.

I have a Glock in my Bag with 4 mags in belt holsters plus a Colt 380 (plus another 4 mags) for whoever's coming along for the ride. The Colt is easy to shoot and manipulate for my "sidekick". I'd rather have a compact or sub Glock but it's not the top of my list right now of goodies to buy.

Wife's not much of shooter but in a shtf scenario, that might change rapidly. A 92 Compact seems like an excellent choice for the reasons stated.

romeomikelima
02-28-2010, 7:03 AM

JTROKS
02-28-2010, 8:19 AM
It isn't fair since I prepare all the bags for everyone in my family. There will be about 3 Glocks in 40, about 4 or 5 1911s, and a spring of 9mm pistols. I may just bring the Desert Eagle in 44 mag too.

tbhracing
02-28-2010, 8:26 AM
My two main pistols are-

Sig P226 (9mm) for HD and the G19 for travel. I would probably take both if bugging out..

.40Cal
02-28-2010, 8:47 AM
9mm on the hip, 357 snubie back up, .22LR in a pocket/bag/purse, AR15 in my hands or on my back. (A 12 gage (Rem 870) in my hands, if AR is hanging on the back)

~You conclude!