PDA

View Full Version : Indoor Ranges in San Diego

landyman
02-27-2010, 10:56 AM
It's raining today. I got my lower and finally finished my first AR yesterday. I want to go shoot it NOOWWWW! ha ha ha... anyone reccomend any ranges that wont freak out over an AR? I've only shot handguns at indoor ranges before... do they even allow rifles at the indoor ranges?

Thanks in advance!

jtyner
02-27-2010, 11:06 AM
You can try Iron Sights up in Oceanside. I don't know that I've ever seen someone shooting an AR in there before, but when I asked about buying parts for one, they didn't freak out or anything.

I believe the range is 25 yards, and I did have a guy shooting a .308 (Remington 700) next to me one time. The thing was really loud and seemed out of place to me for such a short distance. I didn't really have a problem with it (the shooter was actually really cool and offered to let me shoot it). I guess my point is that they allow rifles, but personally, if I was to go somewhere with my .308, I'd go to a longer or outdoor range.

Edit: I just checked out their website (www.iron-sights.com), and they've got a picture of an AR on the "Range" page, so I'd say they'd be happy to have you.

cjskalka
02-27-2010, 11:11 AM
Project 2000 in El Cajon is your best bet, 100 yard indoor range.

Gh0sT
02-27-2010, 11:12 AM
It's raining today. I got my lower and finally finished my first AR yesterday. I want to go shoot it NOOWWWW! ha ha ha... anyone reccomend any ranges that wont freak out over an AR? I've only shot handguns at indoor ranges before... do they even allow rifles at the indoor ranges?

Thanks in advance!

Go to Project 2000 - 50/100yd :D

Spica
02-27-2010, 11:13 AM
American Shooting Center in Kearney Mesa and Project2000 Range in El Cajon, both allow rifles.

landyman
02-27-2010, 11:39 AM
Yeah i project 2000 looks nice, looks like I can shoot my Cynergy there too. I miss the sandiego shotgun sports place in miramar, maybe i'll check er out today.

L4D
02-27-2010, 12:23 PM
Id call first wherever you decide to go. It gets packed at all ranges on saturday especially right now during the rain. if you go without calling expect to wait an hour or so to get a lane.

xfilterx
02-27-2010, 1:37 PM
+1 for Iron Sights in Oceanside or American Shooting Center in Clairemont.

bondmid003
02-27-2010, 3:39 PM
American Shooting Center is pretty cool about rifles

slappomatt
02-27-2010, 5:30 PM
I used to shoot my AR way back in the day before the ban at most all the ranges. Then I found out about orosco ridge in ramona and haven't been back since. If I do go indoor project 2000 is the only place to go with a rifle. its actually a pretty nice place too.

Once A Marine
02-27-2010, 5:33 PM
+1 on P2K. It's the only indoor that has 25, 50, and 100 yd shooting indoors. Only 2 50yd lanes, so they can be a premium at times.

lumwilliam
02-27-2010, 5:34 PM
American Shooting Center in Kearney Mesa and Project2000 Range in El Cajon, both allow rifles.

I asked an older guy behind the counter at American Shooting Center, range rental dept. about allowing AR's. He first asked me if i was an LEO. When I said no, told me that they would allow a legal rifle to be used there, but that certain AR's are "compliant, but not legal". Made me think they're not too fond of them.

Once A Marine
02-27-2010, 5:38 PM
I asked an older guy behind the counter at American Shooting Center, range rental dept. about allowing AR's. He first asked me if i was an LEO. When I said no, told me that they would allow a legal rifle to be used there, but that certain AR's are "compliant, but not legal". Made me think they're not too fond of them.

I've fired my PS90 there without a problem on several occasions.

bondmid003
02-27-2010, 5:59 PM

Sounds like FUD, the guy behind the counter (range side not retail) also said that their SL8 is not legal for civilians to own in CA...more FUD

2600fromAtari
02-27-2010, 6:06 PM

Thanks in advance!

Just in case you're one of the AR owners who use Wolf, the American Shooting Center will not allow it at their range. P2K is good for all ammo and calibers I believe up to the .416 Barrett (at least that's what I remember being told by one of the gals there).

2600fromAtari
02-27-2010, 6:09 PM
Sounds like FUD, the guy behind the counter (range side not retail) also said that their SL8 is not legal for civilians to own in CA...more FUD

I always get inconsistent messages there. One employee will be very open and knowledgeable and the next is totally opposite. Even though they're within a few minutes of my home, I'll drive out to P2K even with the higher cost. All the staff are very friendly and helpful. I only wish their indoor range was larger.

CmpsdNoMore
02-27-2010, 6:44 PM
I was there about a week ago and the guy in the lane next to me was shooting an AR.

asgalindez
02-27-2010, 7:14 PM
American Shooting Center is good to go for rifles. I was there this past friday morning. A military unit was there before opening doing some training with their M4's and M9's. I shot my AR & AK that day. I've shot my Draco AK pistol there. Seen a few AR pistols there.

ccandgc
02-27-2010, 7:43 PM
I shot my .50 DE at P2K today. It was PACKED! I usually go on weekday mornings.....had to wait about 20 minutes for a lane, but that gave me time to DROS my new XD9 subcompact :D

sundayarmorer
02-27-2010, 7:48 PM
project 2000. saturdays are busy in the pistol range, but the rifle range you can usually get on the 50 yrd (lanes #1 & #2)

mievil
02-27-2010, 8:04 PM
American Shooting Center is pretty cool about rifles

Pretty cool about getting shot there, too. :eek:

I think I'm going to start taking more time to go out to P2K.

asgalindez
02-27-2010, 8:22 PM
Pretty cool about getting shot there, too. :eek:

I think I'm going to start taking more time to go out to P2K.

You make it sound as if people get shot there all the time, and the staff couldn't care less. I've been going to ASC since I started shooting, and have never seen anyone get shot. I've only heard of 1 incident there (the lady that did the hot brass dance & accidentally shot the guy w/ a .22lr). I've heard a lot of horror stories about ranges in the L.A. area, mainly suicides.

Is P2K some magical range where accidents can never happen? Are you less likely to get shot at P2K as opposed to ASC? Accidents/negligence can happen anywhere, to noobs or experienced shooters.

SoCalRandy
02-27-2010, 8:49 PM
I was there about a week ago and the guy in the lane next to me was shooting an AR.

Which range?

mievil
02-27-2010, 8:52 PM
From what I heard (and could be complete BS for all I know), ASC had 3 incidents last year alone. No other shop in the county had a single incident. And if you think it's not very likely, turn around and look at the separation wall between the shop and the lanes. That's enough for me. And the client base that I've seen at ASC vs P2K and Iron Sights is a little more "fresh". It's my personal preference and opinion. My perceived safety makes me enjoy this hobby. And if that means I don't need to worry about getting popped because a hot shell goes down some chicks wide open shirt, then so be it. Regardless of whether or not they had 1 or 3 last year, I don't want to be that 1.

bondmid003
02-27-2010, 9:08 PM
ASC had another ND before the gal shot the guy in the leg

slick_711
02-27-2010, 9:12 PM
From what I heard (and could be complete BS for all I know), ASC had 3 incidents last year alone. No other shop in the county had a single incident. And if you think it's not very likely, turn around and look at the separation wall between the shop and the lanes. That's enough for me. And the client base that I've seen at ASC vs P2K and Iron Sights is a little more "fresh". It's my personal preference and opinion. My perceived safety makes me enjoy this hobby. And if that means I don't need to worry about getting popped because a hot shell goes down some chicks wide open shirt, then so be it. Regardless of whether or not they had 1 or 3 last year, I don't want to be that 1.

lol... ASC has had ONE accidental shooting (mentioned above) in the 12 years they've been open. That's a fact friend. I agree with you 100% on safety being paramount, and you should shoot when & where you feel comfortable, but don't spread rumors that will hurt someone else's business.

Furthermore, other shops, ranges, outdoor shooting locations, etc., have also had issues. You're making statements based on things you may have heard about. You think the fact that you live in San Diego and read fanatical Calguns posts about OMGbbqASCaGUYgotSHOT makes you a credible source of information as to what happened in every range in the county?

lorax3
02-27-2010, 9:19 PM
I go to P2K most often, but their hourly rates really suck. I dislike having to watch the time. I would much rather pay $15-$20 per visit like most other ranges.

visualnewbie
02-27-2010, 10:13 PM
I go to P2K most often, but their hourly rates really suck. I dislike having to watch the time. I would much rather pay $15-$20 per visit like most other ranges.

That's the main reason I go to ASC, the cost. I'd love to try out P2K but when I go to the range, I go for more than a few hours and don't like looking at the clock to see if it's time to leave. I also bring 1 or 2 new shooters with me and that would bring the cost up also. If they made it a flat rate on weekdays like other ranges, I'd go there since it's closer to me. I can only wish...

asgalindez
02-27-2010, 10:24 PM
And the client base that I've seen at ASC vs P2K and Iron Sights is a little more "fresh".

Aren't we as Calgunners supposed to try and introduce new shooters to our sport/hobby? Where are we supposed to do this at? I take new shooters to ASC because of the more controlled environment and the people there can help me out if I need their assistance. And you can choose various handguns/rifles to rent. And Iron Sights is too far of a drive, but has a bigger rental selection.

My perceived safety makes me enjoy this hobby.

I'd rather be responsible for my own safety. One time (at ASC) two guys were shooting rentals in the lane to the left of me. Whenever I see people with rental guns, I take a break and watch them. One was shooting the Beretta, the other checking out other shooters.

The guy shooting seemed to have a problem with the Beretta so he fumbled with it for a bit, then dropped the mag and fiddled with it some more. He walked off the line with the slide closed and mag in hand (he did it quick before I could get to him). I thought for sure he didn't clear the chamber. When he put the gun down on the back shelf, I immediately put my hand on the gun which took him and his buddy by surprise. I asked if he had cleared it before coming off the line and he said "I think so...". So I took it back to the line, pointed it downrange, and racked the slide. Round pops out. I gave them a little talk about safety and paying attention to each other to make sure everyone stayed safe. Everything was good after that.

I just avoid going on the weekends, because there's too many people to keep my eye on.

snupples
02-27-2010, 10:35 PM
P2k is expensive but still the best. Best range, best staff, best fellow customers. I'm pretty sensitive to the way I'm treated, or how others are treated, in gun stores/ranges. I've never had a bad or "iffy" experience there.

mievil
02-28-2010, 9:09 AM
lol... ASC has had ONE accidental shooting (mentioned above) in the 12 years they've been open. That's a fact friend. I agree with you 100% on safety being paramount, and you should shoot when & where you feel comfortable, but don't spread rumors that will hurt someone else's business.

Furthermore, other shops, ranges, outdoor shooting locations, etc., have also had issues. You're making statements based on things you may have heard about. You think the fact that you live in San Diego and read fanatical Calguns posts about OMGbbqASCaGUYgotSHOT makes you a credible source of information as to what happened in every range in the county?

I'm not your friend, slick. ;) I did not in fact read that in a thread, I heard it AT the range, nor did I say I was a credible source of information about ANY range. I am simply voicing why I will not go there any more, and that's a FACT. Unless you missed the point that I said at the end that even if it was 1 (which you admitted to it being a fact in gigantic bold lettering), that it made me feel uneasy about the place as well as because of their clientele and the holes in the friggin wall all over the place, which is also fact. If you or anyone else want to go there, great. And if telling people why I WILL go to P2K or Iron Sights, which are both great ranges in great shape with much better customer service and employees and an even better selection of product is turning people off of going to any indoor range, then shame on me.

L4D
02-28-2010, 10:53 AM
ASC used to be rough around the edges years ago IMO. But they have really upped their game and I haven't seen anything going on that would make me post a stink about them in recent years. They are always courteous to me and whoever is with me. Yeah Ive seen a couple holes in the walls but those have been there for a very very very long time according to myself. Ive also only heard of once incident there of where a patron got shot. Its too bad it happened but you can't hold the gun for the inexperienced.
http://www.sandiego6.com/news/local/story/Accidental-Shooting-at-Shooting-Range/LFXtvyVkekq_302fAd4jEQ.cspx

That could have happened anywhere ^^^^^

They are right smack in the middle of SAN DIEGO with the amount of noobs and one time shooters they get i think their track record is great. YMMV

CmpsdNoMore
02-28-2010, 12:01 PM
Which range?

Oops...
Iron Sights

ajaffe
02-28-2010, 2:04 PM
I'm not your friend, slick. ;) I did not in fact read that in a thread, I heard it AT the range, nor did I say I was a credible source of information about ANY range. I am simply voicing why I will not go there any more, and that's a FACT. Unless you missed the point that I said at the end that even if it was 1 (which you admitted to it being a fact in gigantic bold lettering), that it made me feel uneasy about the place as well as because of their clientele and the holes in the friggin wall all over the place, which is also fact. If you or anyone else want to go there, great. And if telling people why I WILL go to P2K or Iron Sights, which are both great ranges in great shape with much better customer service and employees and an even better selection of product is turning people off of going to any indoor range, then shame on me.

I heard that someone got into a gunfight at Orozco and had to activate his Matrix bullet time to take out all the terrorists before they could press the button to detonate the nuke they planted deep into the core of the earth. The guy single handedly saved the world with his musket against 214 terrorists armed with machine guns and ninja stars.

It's true, some guy with a beard told me so.

On a more serious note, what is there at P2K that would prevent someone from doing a brass dance with their finger on the trigger and NDing into someone next to them?
Oh, that's right, nothing.
Stupid people are found all around.

I actually feel safer at ASC since there is almost always someone checking in on the shooters and running in to correct mistakes if they catch something about to happen. The setup at P2K does not allow for that.

I will concede that P2K is a very nice range however and gives a lot more room for storage space off the line.

At the end of the day though both ranges are very good. Take your pick on where you want to drive to and how much money you want to spend. Happiness will follow regardless of where you go.

JAGACIDA
02-28-2010, 8:33 PM
You can try Iron Sights up in Oceanside. I don't know that I've ever seen someone shooting an AR in there before, but when I asked about buying parts for one, they didn't freak out or anything.

I believe the range is 25 yards, and I did have a guy shooting a .308 (Remington 700) next to me one time. The thing was really loud and seemed out of place to me for such a short distance. I didn't really have a problem with it (the shooter was actually really cool and offered to let me shoot it). I guess my point is that they allow rifles, but personally, if I was to go somewhere with my .308, I'd go to a longer or outdoor range.

Edit: I just checked out their website (www.iron-sights.com), and they've got a picture of an AR on the "Range" page, so I'd say they'd be happy to have you.

The 25 yard range allows you to get on paper quicker than at 100 yards and the bullet travel is almost the same. You'll print almost the same at both distances.
Take a look at the ceiling and walls next time you're there, plenty of ND's also, great for teaching the basics.

bondmid003
02-28-2010, 8:57 PM
ajaffe, no offense brother but I've never seen anyone from ASC come in to correct a mistake that a patron was making. Not saying it doesn't happen, just that I've never seen it

ajaffe
02-28-2010, 9:58 PM
Have you seen that at P2K? The only time I have seen them yell at someone is when a shooter was too close to the stall during a cease fire.

I have seen ASC guys come in plenty of times actually. One of the most memorable was a group of first timers with rentals. They were posing for pictures. As soon as one of them muzzle swept me I started to walk over, but before I could get there one of the workers flew past me and gave them a safety orientation. I almost always see at least one worker taking a peak inside the windows every 5 minutes or 2 magazines or so.

I don't take offense to stuff said on the internet my friend, do not worry :). Plus what you said is your perspective, that can never be wrong even if it differs from mine.