PDA

View Full Version : What bedside handgun drawer safe do you use?

bigian
02-27-2010, 10:09 AM
First off, I did a search and only found a thread that discussed mini safes for an open area. Im looking for a small safe that will fit in the top drawer of my night stand.

I saw the Gunvault mini mentioned in another thread but I don't want to worry about failed electronics in an emergency. I also read their CS isn't very good. I would like to get something that I can secure to the drawer from the inside and open with analog buttons.

My big safe is in the other room and I'd like something a little more convenient near my bed that will give me access while also keeping it safe from potential burglars. After reading the 'do you keep a bedside gun' thread, I think it's a better idea to have my HD handgun bedside rather than in the closet where it's 10+ feet away.

I found the V-Line Compact which looks like it fits my needs but I'd like to hear some other suggestions on what to get as well as what others currently use...

TIA!

RedFord150
02-27-2010, 10:32 AM
I use a Homak for the exact purpose you mention.

http://www.homaksecurity.com/PistolBoxes.html

The one on top is mine. I used (4) 1/4" x 1" carriage bolts with big fender washers on the outside. The nuts and smaller washers go inside. I wrapped the bolts and nuts with black electrical tape to prevent the gun from getting scratched by exposed metal.
Cost of the safe was under $35. So far, I like it.

bigian
02-27-2010, 10:36 AM
That looks nice but I;d like to find something analog in case of malfunction... unless someone convinces me otherwise :D

corrupt
02-27-2010, 12:26 PM
The cream of the crop that i've seen is the Titan gun safe or vault. Google it and look at the videos on YouTube. Personally I have a gunvault premium or whatever it is, but that doesn't serve your purpose.

corrupt
02-27-2010, 12:28 PM
I don't think the electonics are anything to worry about in the gunvault. I bought a radioshack power adapter and have that connected as well as the backup 9-volt battery. Not once has the electronics on it give me any reason to believe that it won't work when absolutely needed.

Friar_Tuck
02-27-2010, 12:58 PM
gunvault has a key backup if the electronics fail. Mine is at least 3 years old and has the original battery in it, it is just now warning of low battery.

BigDogatPlay
02-27-2010, 1:14 PM
Gunvault FTW....

Old4eyes
02-27-2010, 1:20 PM
I think that what you'll find out there is mostly electronic locks. Look for one that has a key override that can open the box in case power is lost or you forget the combo.

I have a Dak Sportsafe, not what you're looking for. I did see this via google:
http://www.stack-on.com/securityplus/personal_and_quick_access_safes/pds-500.html

I presume that the key will overide the electronics, ask Stackon.

I have seen, but can't recall where a box that did have the push button type locks. A long time ago we had them at work - brand name was Simplex. They could be temperamental. I wouldn't go that route. But I would go for a S&G type dial lock on a full size gun safe rather than an electronic one.

Once A Marine
02-27-2010, 1:22 PM
It's going to be tough finding a analog locking device for this purpose. Plus, if you need to access the safe at night, just after waking up, the ease of a digital pad, especially the finger-type Gunvault pad, is easier plus gives you that bit of high brain interaction needed to open a lock and kick your brain into reasoned response mode (vs. reactive response). Several of the digital locks have a keyed back up and ac power as mentioned above for the Gunvaults.

Legasat
02-27-2010, 1:41 PM
None

RedFord150
02-27-2010, 2:25 PM
That looks nice but I;d like to find something analog in case of malfunction... unless someone convinces me otherwise :D

The Homak has 2 contacts on the outside for a 9 volt battery. This is a back-up system in case of primary battery failure. The main power is on the inside in the form of 4 AA betteries.
The Homak only allows 3 attempts on the combination. If 3 bad combos are entered, the safe is locked for 15 minutes before the correct combo will open it.
So far, no issues.

bigian
02-27-2010, 3:31 PM
Cool guys, thanks. Now Im not so concerned with the digital safes.

Ill check out the ones mentioned and if there's any other suggestions, Im all ears........

sootytom
02-27-2010, 8:44 PM
these are great single gun safes quick&easy to open when door is opened the gun slides out in it's holster. i installed one in my motorhome I can keep gun locked and loaded mag locked seperately when safe is opened gun pops out and loaded mag pops out insert mag rack slide and your ready to rock

bigian
02-27-2010, 9:09 PM
I saw the Titan. It looks nice and convenient but overpriced for what it is, IMO. If money wasn't as much of an issue I'd be all over it.

Im leaning to the DAC Sportsafe. I like the interior light and the spring loaded door. Sounds like they have great CS unlike gunvault.....

Old4eyes
02-27-2010, 10:56 PM
A couple of notes about the DAC Sportsafe.
It does NOT come with an external power supply where a Gunvault does. Not a big deal, ebay is your friend.

The Sportsafe keys are not backlit nor do they have small leds to indicate where the keys are. The Gunvault has guides to help in finger placement.

I have two of the DACs, his and hers. The second box had a bad connector for the external power source and I had a heck of a time replacing it. Both work fine now. But I was able to buy 2 of them for about the price of one Gunvault.

I also laugh when people say they can hold two guns. Not with my size hands they can't. I've got an XD in mine, she's got an S&W snub nose in hers. I shortened the top shelf on both of them to allow easier access. I have magazines (speed loaders for hers) on the shelf.

The largest effort for me was building shelves above the nightstands to bolt these on. This would have been the same effort if I had gone with Gunvaults.

FieldsofFire
02-28-2010, 12:17 AM
Satisfied with my Gunvault, I own a couple. It's better than leaving guns out in the open when you're not home, in my opinion, and you can gain access to it in a second. If you are worried about the electronics, use the manual key and insert it into the hole at night when you're sleeping or just leave it open.