PDA

View Full Version : Mounting my first scope

landyman
02-27-2010, 9:49 AM
So Yesterday I became the proud owner of my first AR-15. I went with the sabre defense 16" tactical m4 carbine upper which is a full rail across the top. YHM flip-up sights. My dad has a Leupold VX-II 3-9x40 on a Browning T-Bolt .22 that he's thinking about getting rid of - doesnt like that scope with that gun. I've been messing around with it today and it seems like the power adjustment is very difficult to turn. Is it supposed to be this way? I'm guessing the scope has never seen any serious wear outside of being pretty in the gunsafe. Also, how high from the center of the barrel is the scope actually supposed to sit? I'm assuming the scope mounts are set at a certain angle vs the barrel? E.g. centerline of scope is supposed to be 1.5 inches above centerline of barrel offset at .5 degrees should be spot on at 100 yards and clicks on the scope will be predictable 50 yard increments or something along those lines.... Can someone splain to me please? I'm good with math and geometry so I can handle anything technical :)

jtyner
02-27-2010, 10:53 AM
My dad has a Leupold VX-II 3-9x40 on a Browning T-Bolt .22 that he's thinking about getting rid of - doesnt like that scope with that gun. I've been messing around with it today and it seems like the power adjustment is very difficult to turn. Is it supposed to be this way?

I have that same scope, and the power adjustment is a bit difficult to turn. There's nothing wrong with it; it's just gotten very little use (as you suggest).