PDA

View Full Version : Which 1911? Sig vs SW

Malmon
02-27-2010, 8:06 AM
I need your opinion on which is a better buy or a better gun. Planning to buy another 1911 and has narrowed the choices down to these two with rails:
1. Sig Sauer 1911 with novak night sights
2. Smith & Wesson SW1911pd.
Both are at the same price range.
http://thebetasigmafraternity.net/1911.jpg

bwolcott
02-27-2010, 8:23 AM
both are great can't go wrong with either i personally think the sig looks nicer though.

rubber duckie
02-27-2010, 8:25 AM
i love the look of the sig... so i bought one..

rgs1975
02-27-2010, 8:29 AM
My vote goes to the S&W.

Old4eyes
02-27-2010, 8:30 AM
Looking at the spec spec sheets a big difference is the weight of the guns. The Sig is a steel frame the Smith is an alloy frame, making it about 9oz lighter. Sig's web page states that the sights are Novak night sites, if they are tritium sights, then that's a plus. The sights on the 1911PD are simply low profile Novaks.

So if your intent is to carry and weight is important, go for the Smith. If you want the additional weight to control recoil, go Sig.

I have the Smith in stainless with the rail (model 108303). I've only had it a short while, not a hiccup in ~ 300 rounds. As far as weight, it's comparable to the Sig.

You will enjoy finding a holster for a railed 1911. They are out there, but you got have to look a little harder.

Try posting on the M1911 and the 1911 forums.

RangemasterP226
02-27-2010, 8:34 AM
I've shot'em both and they are both excellent. The only thing that tips the scale to S&W for me is the fact that Sig didn't use standard 1911 parts, they made some proprietary tweeks to it, which may affect the upgrade potential in the future. If you have no plans to change either pistol, then go with what you like, you can't lose.

Beelzy
02-27-2010, 8:35 AM
Sig......Got one, works perfectly.

JTROKS
02-27-2010, 9:07 AM
I got a Sig GSR TTT and it's awesome! No jam, excellent accuracy and for a gun that is at the $1K mark give or take $75 depending where you buy it. It is a bargain for the features it came with such as adjustable night sights, front strap and main spring housing checkering.

Inkman
02-27-2010, 9:16 AM
Lots of guns look fantastic. Both of those look great and i haven't shot either particular model, but i still stand by the "shoot it first" before you drop cash on one. I almost bought a particular unmentioned SA upper end 1911 until i handeled one in person. Soooooo glad i didn't buy it w/o handling it first. I didn't buy it and am glad i didn't. At least see if you can handle them in person first if they are new at a shop.

scout II
02-27-2010, 9:20 AM
I have one of each.They are both very nice guns and shoot perfect now.The S&W has a little more kick do the the weight differance,but they both are very accurate.I did have to send my Sig in to have the extractor replaced as it had constant failure to feed problems right out of the box.I called them and told them what it was doing and they sent me a shipping label to send it back to them for repair.I got it back within a week in a half.It works perfect now.Great customer service.Plus I think the Sig looks a little cooler.:cool2:

Guns R Tools
02-27-2010, 9:31 AM
Sig I looked at sore had front strap checkering like SW and had grip safety like SW (memory groove type).

I think that Sig is keep tweaking their line up to customer's input.

Slide profile is different/unique in Sig as well.
Sig uses GI style button plug, easy field stripping. I don't know what SW uses.

Malmon
02-27-2010, 9:32 AM
Thank you all for your feedback.

This is what I have gathered so far. The sig has some issues in their earlier models but allegedly has been resolved. The S&W on the other hand has issues with the trigger being too loose, not sure if the manufacturer did anything to address this issue.

9mmepiphany
02-27-2010, 11:14 AM
if the guns you are deciding between are exactly like those pictured, i'd have to side with the S&W.

i prefer the Novak rear sight on the Sig more than that on the S&W...although the Heine rear sight is better for carry...and i like the way the firing pin safety on the Sig works better too.

the FPS on my S&W was properly fitted and work everytime. i like the serrations on the S&W's frontstrap...i've gotten away from checkering lately...and the speed bump grip safety is definitely superior to the to the Sig's "spine". that spine will really beat up the web of your hand.

while the Sig's profile is cool, it does make it harder to find a holster to fit it

gadjeep
02-27-2010, 11:23 AM
I have a TTT (no rail), have put approx 3k rounds through it and it is awesome. Most accurate pistol I have ever fired and it runs great. As far as holsters go, that is a valid point but it is with many of the new 1911s on the market. I now use a Blackhawk CQC and it works like butter. SIG has my vote. I now have 2 of them. And to be fair I was a S&W revolver man first!

sholling
02-27-2010, 10:52 PM
while the Sig's profile is cool, it does make it harder to find a holster to fit it
This has been one of the big knocks on the Sig. Anyway I've shot both and was not overly impressed by the full sized Sig but I do like the sights better.

PutTogether
02-28-2010, 1:31 AM
GSR has been by the far the most reliable 1911 I've owned, out of a couple of kimbers, a dan wesson, and an S&W.

I keep a GSR with a streamlight on it in the master bedroom. It has a different profile, and of course the massive internal extractor, but the rest of it is normal series 80 1911 guys.

HCz
02-28-2010, 1:34 AM
I'd go with S&W.

cineski
02-28-2010, 7:37 AM
S&W. Much better people behind the company.

.40Cal
02-28-2010, 7:37 AM
both are great can't go wrong with either i personally think the sig looks nicer though.

Colored pictures always look nicer than a B&W. (I thought the same) BTW, love the trigger on S&W. I'm sure both are really FINE pistols - high quality & well-known!

thomasanelson
02-28-2010, 8:22 AM
The Sig seemed to have lots of problem when they first came out (reported on Sigforum), but perhaps they have resolved them. I have the S&W and love it. My experience has been mostly positive with the CS of both companies, but I have had to send a lot more guns back to Sig.

subin
02-28-2010, 4:08 PM
For the Sig GSR, it was either a hit or miss. Mine was a missed and after sending it back three times, they repalced it with the new Sig 1911. I have had no problme with it using factory ammo, but there were 3/50 of "fail to return to battery" using reloads from the range.
I have only handled SW 1911 at Turner, so I would not command on it, but you could not go wrong with either.

Tenchi
02-28-2010, 4:45 PM
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but the Sig has a beefier external extractor --similar to the ee found on the high end Performance Center SW.

Rocket Man
02-28-2010, 7:38 PM
With out jackin' the thread.....
I'm looking to get my first 1911 and I've tried & really liked the Kimber Custom TLE; http://www.kimberamerica.com/products/pistols/custom/custom_tle_rl_II/
I was dead set on the Kimber but that sigs looking good also....
Dang ...
If you seasoned 1911 guys could throw this one in the ring I'd really like some input.

9mmepiphany
02-28-2010, 8:49 PM
the only Kimber i've heard consistent good reports on, by folks who use them hard, in the real world is the Warrior series

tiko
02-28-2010, 9:40 PM
Both Sig and SW (not the performance center which I don't know) have free play between fram and slide, barrel and bushing.
Kimber do not have free plays.

9mmepiphany
02-28-2010, 9:52 PM
Both Sig and SW (not the performance center which I don't know) have free play between fram and slide, barrel and bushing.
Kimber do not have free plays.

my S&W 1911Sc has no play between the frame and slide. the barrel has no movement when you press on the hold, so i'm not sure which models of S&W 1911 you are looking at. the best fitted middle priced 1911 on the market is the Dan Wesson...but the OP isn't asking about them, just as he isn't asking about the Kimber

Fishslayer
03-01-2010, 8:50 AM
The Smith had me right up the part with the forward grip serrations.

I'd take the Sig if you held it to my head & said I HAD to have a 1911 with a rail...

hawk81
03-01-2010, 10:35 AM
Sig.

subin
03-01-2010, 1:01 PM
With out jackin' the thread.....
I'm looking to get my first 1911 and I've tried & really liked the Kimber Custom TLE; http://www.kimberamerica.com/products/pistols/custom/custom_tle_rl_II/
I was dead set on the Kimber but that sigs looking good also....
Dang ...
If you seasoned 1911 guys could throw this one in the ring I'd really like some input.

I happen to have both. The TLE II had a small trigger creep and my gunsmith fixed it and also brought it down to 3.5lbs. The Sig is still all stock and as a recreational paper shooter, either one works fine for me. The Sig is heavier, though.

Malmon
03-12-2010, 9:11 PM
Thank you all for your opinions/insights. Both pistols are almost the same, the deciding factor for me is the lack of front serrations gave the slide a cleaner look.

Got my new favorite pistol.:)
http://thebetasigmafraternity.net/Sig1.JPG
http://thebetasigmafraternity.net/Sig2.JPG
http://thebetasigmafraternity.net/Sig3.JPG
http://thebetasigmafraternity.net/Sig4.JPG