PDA

View Full Version : legality of shipping to CAL.

bowtechhunter
02-27-2010, 7:57 AM
just popped in to see if you guys could answer a question on shipping to california

Swift Justice
02-27-2010, 8:03 AM
Ok...and the question is?

EBR Works
02-27-2010, 8:08 AM
Yes, what are you wanting to ship?

...and welcome to CalGuns!

bowtechhunter
02-27-2010, 8:34 AM
SKS rifle

EBR Works
02-27-2010, 8:36 AM
What arsenal is the SKS? As long as it is not a Yugo with a grenade launcher or has a mag greater than 10 rounds, it should be fine. Grenade launchers are DD here in Cali and must be removed. SKS-M models that take detachable AK mags are also banned.

bowtechhunter
02-27-2010, 8:39 AM
it's a 1950r russian-new in box

bowtechhunter
02-27-2010, 8:40 AM
it's a 1950r russian-new in box

oh ......TULA

EBR Works
02-27-2010, 8:41 AM
Perfectly legal. If your buyer is a FFL03 holder, you can ship it directly to him. Otherwise, it must go through an FFL01. Are you an FFL01 or individual/FFL03 holder?

Iloveguns
03-01-2010, 3:58 PM
Also have a Q. I want to ship my own rifle ar-15 doublestar from a different state to here in California. Already bought the rad-lock to fit on it. Is it illegal to ship it to myself I have owned this gun for ten years did not bring it with me when I moved to California, Do I need to still ship it to an ffl or what?

Josh3239
03-01-2010, 4:02 PM
It is legal to ship a gun to yourself. FFLs are for transfer of ownership only. If it is yours it is yours.

paul0660
03-01-2010, 4:07 PM
It is legal to ship a firearm to yourself, even a handgun, "for any lawful purpose". It should be addressed to you, can be in the care of someone else, and the package should only be opened by you.

aplinker
03-01-2010, 6:26 PM
Just to add the obvious - it needs the Raddlock installed before it enters CA.

EBR Works
03-01-2010, 6:46 PM
Just to add the obvious - it needs the Raddlock installed before it enters CA.

Unless the upper and lower are separated first before shipping in separate boxes.

Stamatos
03-01-2010, 7:36 PM
This is some good info, gents

Iloveguns
03-01-2010, 9:14 PM
Thanks guys I was aware of shipping the lower and upper separate, but thanks for reiterating. I am excited to have my ar-15 out here even if I have to keep my 30rnd clips back home!! Unless I can bring those to but I was told unless they were purchased before a certain date I could not.

santacruzstefan
03-02-2010, 1:30 AM
If its legal to ship a gun to myself, then could I, say, fly to Florida, buy an AR, install a BB, and ship this to my house? I just used FL as an example, but hopefully you get the gist of what I mean... since there are many states with no residency requirement for long guns, and the CA DOJ doesn't keep paperwork on them (correct?), and I'm not a prohibited person, then is this legit? I don't want to break the law, I'm just trying to understand...

EBR Works
03-02-2010, 6:05 AM
If its legal to ship a gun to myself, then could I, say, fly to Florida, buy an AR, install a BB, and ship this to my house? I just used FL as an example, but hopefully you get the gist of what I mean... since there are many states with no residency requirement for long guns, and the CA DOJ doesn't keep paperwork on them (correct?), and I'm not a prohibited person, then is this legit? I don't want to break the law, I'm just trying to understand...

Unfortunately, no. The FL dealer would have to ship it to a Cali FFL01 to remain legal.

stix213
03-02-2010, 12:32 PM

Your problem is the buying in florida part, not the shipping to yourself part. I don't believe a gun shop in Florida will sell you a gun and let you just pick it up there after whatever waiting period they have is done. If you legally moved to Florida, got a Florida ID and residence, etc, then purchased a gun... then moved back to California at a later date, you should be able to ship your firearm from Florida to yourself in California. Seems like a lot of hassle to avoid using an FFL :p

santacruzstefan
03-02-2010, 12:55 PM
Your problem is the buying in florida part, not the shipping to yourself part. I don't believe a gun shop in Florida will sell you a gun and let you just pick it up there after whatever waiting period they have is done. If you legally moved to Florida, got a Florida ID and residence, etc, then purchased a gun... then moved back to California at a later date, you should be able to ship your firearm from Florida to yourself in California. Seems like a lot of hassle to avoid using an FFL :p

Yeah, its not the hassle of avoiding the use of an FFL that made me wonder, but more the unwillingness of certain out-of-state FFLs to ship to CA. Since we now have many options here in CA, its not really a problem, but often there are some nice guns I find online for a good price, but the seller refuses to ship to Cali. Me going to them would negate that problem, if I could ship to myself.

So... buying it out-of-state and shipping to my CA FFL would be legal, then? Assuming they would take a gun from an individual rather than another FFL, of course.

rromeo
05-11-2010, 12:22 PM
A Co-worker has a Remington 700 in North Carolina. He has to physivcally be in NC to ship it back here? It's his rifle, but he left it with the family when he moved out here.

Josh3239
05-11-2010, 1:31 PM
I don't think he has to physically be in NC, no. If it is his and he leaves it with his family they should be able to ship it straight to him.

darkest2000
05-11-2010, 3:57 PM
So... buying it out-of-state and shipping to my CA FFL would be legal, then? Assuming they would take a gun from an individual rather than another FFL, of course.

Well, of course. How do you think Gunbroker and all the internet gun vendors do business? And whether your CA FFL would accept a firearm shipment from an individual or only an FFL is solely up to their business/company policy, has nothing to do with the law.