Spotted this curiosity on another forum:

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/mag-lock/AR15MOD2.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/mag-lock/AR15MOD1.jpg

thefurball
02-27-2010, 5:38 AM
Sweet.

AR-15 Rep
02-27-2010, 6:10 AM
Now... that's something you don't see everyday...

VegasND
02-27-2010, 6:43 AM
So if two friends get together over coffee one day, and one decides to make and sell all but one or two parts of this, while the other makes and sells the remaining parts; can you order this through the mail without legally needing an FFL involved?

I'm thinking yes...am I mistaken?

parcours
02-27-2010, 6:48 AM
Tag

Charlie50
02-27-2010, 6:53 AM
That is pretty darn cool! Someone might really have something. I see some interesting 80% builds on the horizon. Okay you machinist wizards run with thing and I'll one of your first customers.

Spyder
02-27-2010, 7:07 AM
Yea, I'd buy one just 'cause its different, cool and ugly!

daves100
02-27-2010, 7:11 AM
I'm in for one just becasue

FMJBT
02-27-2010, 7:48 AM
Pretty sure it's not the KT-15B. The KT receiver looks a lot less like Lego:

http://www.ktordnance.com/kto/detail/kt15bx.jpg

slappomatt
02-27-2010, 8:00 AM
Thats pretty cool. can we get a ruling from any of the resident 2A legal mumbo jumbo guys? really thinking outside the box!

Beelzy
02-27-2010, 9:41 AM
I would hate to be anyone near that if a Kaboom happened!

Not a good idea IMO. How about that frame during a 3 day Carbine Class??

"Hold on Dudes, I gotta tighten up the screws on my rig".....LOL!

Spyder
02-27-2010, 10:12 AM
That's what red loctite and Grade 8 bolts are for!

ls1
02-27-2010, 10:28 AM
That's what red loctite and Grade 8 bolts are for!

Hahahahaha no sh*t:D

Rukus
02-27-2010, 10:52 AM
I thought this was posted already here, someone said it was found on ebay, or at least the plans for it were. I'll have to look around and get back. Personally I think it looks like garbage.

Rukus
02-27-2010, 10:58 AM
Found it: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=273809

dieselpower
02-27-2010, 11:16 AM
This looks like some serious mill work, when a 80% lower with the mag well completed can be done with a drill press.

I guess if you set up your drill press to run a sheet zeroed / blocked and slowly moved the sheet you could mill the groves.

The sharp edges can be rounded without loss of strength.

A squib wouldn't do any more damage then with a standard lower.

Locking the screws would be mandatory.

properly done, this would look sexy....especially with a side charging upper.

DisgruntledReaper
02-27-2010, 11:20 AM
I have the pdf plans for one type of these receivers-bolt together Ar receivers.....makes the following...Home build is going to happen sometime soon....or soon as I can get my friend to teach me how to program his cnc!:cool::D

sv_1
02-27-2010, 11:27 AM
How does this work in regards to the "zip gun" laws? It is patterned after an AR, so I would assume no problem... but I know better than to assume.

DisgruntledReaper- If you're willing to send a copy of the PDF, I'd love to check it out.

The Director
02-27-2010, 11:38 AM
Always good when you can take something so simple and turn it into something that has one piece into something that has ten pieces and a hundred screws!

Greg-Dawg
02-27-2010, 11:41 AM
I'll pass.

1911su16b870
02-27-2010, 11:45 AM
Always good when you can take something so simple and turn it into something that has one piece into something that has ten pieces and a hundred screws!

LOL :rofl:

DisgruntledReaper
02-27-2010, 11:46 AM
You know, you have to appreciate the fact that someone went through the trouble to reverse engineer or engineer an alternative to something that is either banned, too $$ or in the extreme case such as old cars planes,tanks,etc..just not made anymore.
I applaud the fact that ingenuity IS NOT dead...but the fact is, is that there are machines,materials,equipment,etc that caanot be made anymore because the know how to do it,the equipment to do it or the formulas and lost....

You take a 'technical' person and toss them back in the 20's-30's..they would be LOST in a machine shop since there is no CNC,PDf,etc.......

Bottom line...what would happen if you wanted or NEEDED a -_______- and it was not made anymore BUT you had all the other bits to make it..what would you do?? I think you would be clamoring to have plans to make one handy.

dieselpower
02-27-2010, 11:49 AM
You know, you have to appreciate the fact that someone went through the trouble to reverse engineer or engineer an alternative to something that is either banned, too $$ or in the extreme case such as old cars planes,tanks,etc..just not made anymore.
I applaud the fact that ingenuity IS NOT dead...but the fact is, is that there are machines,materials,equipment,etc that caanot be made anymore because the know how to do it,the equipment to do it or the formulas and lost....

You take a 'technical' person and toss them back in the 20's-30's..they would be LOST in a machine shop since there is no CNC,PDf,etc.......

Bottom line...what would happen if you wanted or NEEDED a -_______- and it was not made anymore BUT you had all the other bits to make it..what would you do?? I think you would be clamoring to have plans to make one handy.

I think I work for you....I pull out a calcuator and my boss whips a pencil at my head...
You both are correct, its better to know what you are doing, then to be told what to do.

DisgruntledReaper
02-27-2010, 12:38 PM
That's Rich!!-lol!

I think technology and all its advantages and such is a double edged knife...it can make life 'easier' or 'worse' .....my thinking is it is great if you are the sh))t when it comes to computers,modern machinery,you name it, but you should also know how to do it 'old school', 'pre hi tech',etc....

I have a friend who works for ferrari and another who works at a Jag/Land Rover dealer and it is getting to the point where the tech is getting too much...and if the diag tool cannot tell the younger guys what is wrong, they seem to lose all cognitive ability..they cannot do good old trouble shooting..
or run an old style mill,lathe,etc.

So i applaud your boss and don't be too hard on him..he is just trying to 'stimulate your brain'!!--hahah

Sorry to hijack,did not mean to...back to 'bolt together AR receivers'--

Regarding how this thing looks...you should see the SCARY stuff I have seen pics of from different countries' bush wars,croatia,africa...TRULY EFFED UP STUFF! This thing would still be a starwars blaster compared to those rock tossers..

Beelzy
02-27-2010, 5:10 PM
I'd like to see that "properly staked".....LOL!

CSACANNONEER
02-27-2010, 5:24 PM
I would hate to be anyone near that if a Kaboom happened!

Not a good idea IMO. How about that frame during a 3 day Carbine Class??

"Hold on Dudes, I gotta tighten up the screws on my rig".....LOL!

When an AR KBs it does so in the upper. A mil spec lower is not designed to handle any pressure. If one lower blows apart, all of them (with the possible exception of steel ones) would have done the same. I'd have zero problems putting a 50BMG upper on a bolt together lower. But, then again, I understand what a lower does and does not do. BTW, have you ever heard of red lock-tite?

NSR500
02-27-2010, 5:34 PM
I'd like a few of those. I'd use them for pistol caliber builds so I can fit magazine adapters into the mag well. It'll give more space to mess around with pistol caliber feed ramps and ejectors too.

Beelzy
02-27-2010, 6:04 PM
When an AR KBs it does so in the upper. A mil spec lower is not designed to handle any pressure. If one lower blows apart, all of them (with the possible exception of steel ones) would have done the same. I'd have zero problems putting a 50BMG upper on a bolt together lower. But, then again, I understand what a lower does and does not do. BTW, have you ever heard of red lock-tite?

Umm, yeah. I even know what the 271 means, so I don't use it on guns. ;)

I break nuts and bolts loose that have been laced with that crap ALL the time.

Personally, I use Lok-Tite's Gun-Tite.

Trendkill
02-27-2010, 6:11 PM
Its a Kalashni-Stoner rifle......cool.

Seesm
02-27-2010, 7:24 PM
I only peeked at page 1 but ebay has the plans for this... It's a 0% build from doing it from the plans I think...

russ69
02-27-2010, 7:26 PM
The reason nobody else is doing this is because it's just as easy to hog out a solid billet receiver in one piece. The newer CNC machines with a PC CAD system can do just about anything, fast and cheap. An AR lower is not that complicated.

Thanx, Russ