PDA

View Full Version : Death of Pheasant Hunting in California

not-fishing
02-26-2010, 3:24 PM
SACRAMENTO — Ventura County Assemblyman Pedro Nava, who three years ago authored a landmark law that barred the use of lead bullets by those hunting deer in areas where condors are known to forage, introduced new legislation Wednesday that would ban the use of lead shot by those hunting pheasant, quail, doves and other birds in California wildlife areas.

Nava said his measure is modeled after the long-standing federal ban on lead shot in the hunting of ducks, geese and other waterfowl. That ban was enacted in 1991.

“It has demonstrably improved the health of waterfowl,” Nava said. “But there are 37 other species besides waterfowl that are also known to suffer from lead poisoning.”

He cited golden eagles and wild turkeys as two examples.

Nava, D-Santa Barbara, was joined at a Capitol news conference by representatives of the Audubon Society and Defenders of Wildlife.

Dan Taylor of Audubon California said the state’s 627,000 acres of designated wildlife areas constitute some of the state’s most important wildlife habitats.

“We remain very concerned that lead continues to be a threat to wildlife,” he said. “Our effort is to address an environmental poison. This is not an attack on or a threat to hunting.”

When shots are fired, the pellets that don’t hit the target fall to the ground. The lead pellets can then be ingested by birds and other wildlife.

Taylor said the wildlife areas provide some of the state’s best hunting and fishing opportunities, and protecting the wildlife in those areas will help ensure that those opportunities continue into the future.

The proposal was assailed, however, by Sam Paredes, executive director of Gun Owners of California, who said alternatives to lead shot are “two to three times more expensive.”

Paredes said hunters stalking pheasant and quail use different ammunition, with smaller pellets, than that used by duck hunters, who must use nonlead shot that consists of larger pellets. “Pheasants are a completely different animal,” he said.

The proposal also drew the ire of Senate Republican leader Dennis Hollingsworth, R-Murietta, an avid hunter.

“The liberal majority is at it again, using their questionable science in an attempt to shut down sports hunting in California,” Hollingsworth said in a prepared statement.

Paredes called Nava’s bill “a publicity stunt for his race for attorney general. He wants the radical environmentalists to be in his camp.”

He noted that Nava, one of six Democrats seeking the nomination for attorney general, earlier this week received the endorsement of Sierra Club California.

Among the arguments against the bill that banned the use of lead ammunition by deer hunters in condor territory was that such a law would discourage hunters. That law took effect in July 2008.

Since then, Taylor said, the Department of Fish and Game has reported that compliance among deer hunters has been very high and there are preliminary indications that the level of lead poisoning detected in blood tests of California condors in Southern California has declined. He cautioned, however, that it too early to make a conclusion as to whether the ban has significantly helped to reduce the risk of lead poisoning among condors.

My youngest son hunts with a '39 LC Smith 20 gauge. I hunt with a 20 guage spanish double barrel that I can't use steel in.

This last year we went from $8 /box lead shot to $16 / box because the landowner East Bay MUD demanded it. OK, I can live with that.

If this goes thru I'll have to get $ 75/ box nontoxic. This will double the price of hunting.

So much for the common folk hunting.

Liberal Facisim at it's finest. :mad:

LloydXmas250
02-26-2010, 3:48 PM
Next thing you'll know they'll probably find a reason to ban steel shot too. If it's possible to look at the bright side, maybe it's an excuse to get a new gun? Still, very dumb.

mif_slim
02-26-2010, 4:21 PM
Humm.. the steel shot rust so it killed the....................California Februray Beattle........yeah......so its ban in 2013.

jk. but sounds plausable. hahaha

LloydXmas250
02-26-2010, 4:25 PM
Haha. Maybe we should edit those posts before they get ideas.

IrishPirate
02-26-2010, 4:29 PM
does any serious hunter use lead for waterfoul and upland game anyways??? all the game specific stuff i've seen and used has been something other than lead. I can see it being an issue only because you can't carry lead in your sidearm, but it would be nice to see that part excused in the legislation....though i doubt it will be.

sierrawoodsman
02-26-2010, 4:44 PM
I use lead for all non waterfowl, I would consider myself a serious hunter.

duckman1
02-26-2010, 5:20 PM
I have shot steel on doves and sporting clays with great success. I still shoot lead for most everything else with the exception of waterfowl. No question I am a serious hunter.

chris
02-26-2010, 5:56 PM
just another attempt to ban more ammunition. the camels nose is getting further in the tent. better kick it hard to get it out.

edwardm
02-26-2010, 6:04 PM
For waterfowl? No. Can't. For upland game? Absolutely. The $9 box of 12 ga shells with #8 lead shot works just as well as the $29 box of 12 ga shells with #8 <other_random_metal> shot.

You must not look too hard, because I've got recent boxes of Winchester, Remington and Federal shotgun ammo, lead-based, spec'd for pheasant (4's and 6's), quail and dove (7's and 8's). All bought off the shelf at Big 5, Wal-Mart, etc.

does any serious hunter use lead for waterfoul and upland game anyways??? all the game specific stuff i've seen and used has been something other than lead. I can see it being an issue only because you can't carry lead in your sidearm, but it would be nice to see that part excused in the legislation....though i doubt it will be.

lewdogg21
02-26-2010, 7:14 PM
does any serious hunter use lead for waterfoul and upland game anyways???

Can't for waterfowl but yes I only use lead for everything else since I have a buttload of reloads and buy upload loads by the case.

The reason the lead shot ban was implemented was b/c in the marsh ducks would pick up the shot when scooping up organic material/food off the bottom (think spoonie style). Now explain how the hell is a quail going to find a piece of lead shot, eat it and die.

It's an-anti hunting powerplay imo.

Faust
02-26-2010, 10:04 PM
just another attempt to ban more ammunition. the camels nose is getting further in the tent. better kick it hard to get it out.

Not just to ban more ammo, but to discourage and harass those who enjoy activities with firearms period. This is bull ****, and they are not done by a long shot.
I think this thread should be moved to Gen Guns Discussion for the sake of exposure; more gun owners should be made aware of these tactics and encouraged to think of were this road leads to. I'd hate to see the mere possession of lead ammo-in the home-become an "environmental issue".
I exaggerate you say? the opposition is overreaching, and advancing.

robairto
02-26-2010, 10:29 PM
LEAD will be banned in CA for the use in firearms!!! The ding dongs who don't see it will at some point but oh yeah the police will get to keep it and that will make it better.

IrishPirate
02-27-2010, 5:55 PM
I use lead for all non waterfowl, I would consider myself a serious hunter.

I have shot steel on doves and sporting clays with great success. I still shoot lead for most everything else with the exception of waterfowl. No question I am a serious hunter.

For waterfowl? No. Can't. For upland game? Absolutely. The $9 box of 12 ga shells with #8 lead shot works just as well as the $29 box of 12 ga shells with #8 <other_random_metal> shot.

You must not look too hard, because I've got recent boxes of Winchester, Remington and Federal shotgun ammo, lead-based, spec'd for pheasant (4's and 6's), quail and dove (7's and 8's). All bought off the shelf at Big 5, Wal-Mart, etc.

Can't for waterfowl but yes I only use lead for everything else since I have a buttload of reloads and buy upload loads by the case.

The reason the lead shot ban was implemented was b/c in the marsh ducks would pick up the shot when scooping up organic material/food off the bottom (think spoonie style). Now explain how the hell is a quail going to find a piece of lead shot, eat it and die.

It's an-anti hunting powerplay imo.

touche' gentlemen.......well played. can't really argue anything here....:)