PDA

View Full Version : Taurus 44 magnum?

someR1
02-26-2010, 12:06 PM
Any of you had experience with the Taurus 44 magnum in particular? I have read hit and miss stories with Taurus quality, but I have also read that their lifetime warranty and service is good. I'm thinking of a 44 magnum plinker...Found one for $530 shipped. Any input is appreciated!

-somer1

rumblebee
02-26-2010, 12:30 PM
IMO (with Taurus experience) I would throw down the cash on an S&W or Ruger (they are worth the extra $)

Good luck

CornFedWB
02-26-2010, 12:33 PM
Ruger.

Nitroman
02-26-2010, 12:38 PM
My 44-mag Tracker proved to be a reliable and accurate shooter. I have (maybe) 350-400 rounds down the tube with no issues what-so-ever. I would stay away from the more robust ammunition (Double Tap...Buffalo Bore) as they may prove to be a bit more than the Taurus can reliably handle.

Rich :)

MasterYong
02-26-2010, 12:52 PM
I did a LOT of research on this about 2 months ago. I was looking to buy the Tracker model as well, since a local shop had one for something like $499.

Here's the skinny, per the research I did:

There is nothing higher quality, at this time about getting a Ruger or a S&W. In fact, dollar for dollar, you get a worse deal getting a Ruger or S&W.

Up until recently, however, Taurus had poor QC and had a lot of reports of failures. Taurus has completely fixed said problems, in addition their CS is better than most gun companies out there.

So the bottom line is, for your money, the Taurus is a better gun. Quality-wise, there's nothing wrong with the S&W'a or the Rugers, it's just for the extra money you're not really getting anything other than a label.

I know I'll get flamed for this. I will not respond, so don't bother guys.

Rekrab
02-26-2010, 12:55 PM
I'm not sure that's true in the case of Ruger MasterYong. I think Ruger makes a more durable product than either S&W or Taurus. Rugers are bigger and meatier and not that pretty, but they definitely get the job done.

If I wanted something better than a Taurus, but didn't want to spend money on a S&W I'd probably scratch, I'd buy a Ruger. But if I wanted to throw down $400 on a 44mag, I'd buy a Taurus and not sweat it.

qaz987
02-26-2010, 1:19 PM
$530 seems like a lot when the ffl fees and tax are added. It may take some time but you may find a 44 mag here to ppt. Nothing wrong with Taurus but parts availability, resale value, and customer service probably won't equal a US make. Good luck!

someR1
02-26-2010, 1:30 PM
$530 seems like a lot when the ffl fees and tax are added. It may take some time but you may find a 44 mag here to ppt. Nothing wrong with Taurus but parts availability, resale value, and customer service probably won't equal a US make. Good luck!

The $530 is for the longer 6" barrel magnum (not the tracker which is 4", I believe). I know Taurus has some low end guns, but many people like the magnums and the PT92 berretta copy. Which, might be another choice I was pondering about. It seems many of the Taurus bashers have never owned one. Many Taurus shooters state they have no problems.

RedFord150
02-26-2010, 1:38 PM
Any of you had experience with the Taurus 44 magnum in particular? I have read hit and miss stories with Taurus quality, but I have also read that their lifetime warranty and service is good. I'm thinking of a 44 magnum plinker...Found one for $530 shipped. Any input is appreciated!-somer1

I have owned 6 Rugers over the last 28 years. I still own 2. Everything from .22 to .357 mag. Single Action, double action, and semi-Auto. After 6 guns and 28 years, I have no idea if Ruger customer Service is any good. I have never needed it.
I have owned 1 Taurus .38 special revolver. I only shot range reloads through it. The cylinder locked shut. Even a local gunsmith could not open it. I sent it back to Taurus. I paid for shipping from my local FFL. I got the repaired gun back after 6 weeks with NO service report, no explanation, no nothing. I had called Taurus US Hdqtrs. several times. I left more messages than I can count. I never got a single returned call. I never spoke to a live person.
I sold the gun and have never looked back. I would never buy another Taurus.
Do you believe 'They used too be bad, but now they are good'?
Spend the extra $ on a Ruger. This will save you the cost of selling the Taurus and buying something good.
Good luck.

someR1
02-26-2010, 1:49 PM
Do you believe 'They used too be bad, but now they are good'?

this has been the case for many companies....when did you buy the 38?

hk91666
02-26-2010, 1:55 PM
I purchased a 44 tracker last year and use handloads for the 4-inch tube to about 1350fps. I love the gun and the ONLY issue I have had with it was the cheap orange tape for the front sight came off after shooting because of the blowby gases. Taurus was called and they asked me to send to them for 6 weeks to repair. I went to wallymart and bought some neon paint and put 6 coats on. It is just like new again.

I got the tracker because of the 5 rd cylinder (I had speed loaders from a Charter Arms Bulldog). The ribber grips are great for shooting and with the stainless gun very little maintenance.

I traded/sold or whatever all my rugers (30 years worth) because I could not shoot them except for my 10-22 the ownly one I still own. My thread here will probabaly start a flurry of this is better than that. But in the end yiu should go with what makes you happy and performs your task, whatever that may be.

rumblebee
02-26-2010, 4:19 PM
Sooo....MY, did you p\u the Tracker??? I can tell you I did, and it was a POS out of the gate...3 trips back to Taurus....cylinder locked up after 2-3 rounds thru it...hammer started to lose it's plating (flaking off)..this was a brand new gun. But, saying you don't get more with a S&W or Ruger???!!!.....c'mon now ;):)

I did a LOT of research on this about 2 months ago. I was looking to buy the Tracker model as well, since a local shop had one for something like $499.

Here's the skinny, per the research I did:

There is nothing higher quality, at this time about getting a Ruger or a S&W. In fact, dollar for dollar, you get a worse deal getting a Ruger or S&W.

Up until recently, however, Taurus had poor QC and had a lot of reports of failures. Taurus has completely fixed said problems, in addition their CS is better than most gun companies out there.

So the bottom line is, for your money, the Taurus is a better gun. Quality-wise, there's nothing wrong with the S&W'a or the Rugers, it's just for the extra money you're not really getting anything other than a label.

I know I'll get flamed for this. I will not respond, so don't bother guys.

RedFord150
02-26-2010, 4:30 PM
this has been the case for many companies....when did you buy the 38?

Bought in 1994. The failure happened several years later, probably 2000 or 2001.
I am not so concerned about the failure. I am more concerned about their not returning calls or refusing to explain the root cause and the repair required. This was intended to be HD. They owe the customer an explanation. It could have failed when needed, not on the range.
Anyway, their 'lack of communication' tells me they must have a lot of problems. Not something I want from a gun manufacturer.
Good luck.

curtp11
02-26-2010, 4:35 PM
I have had many Ruger Revolvers, Single and Double Action. I only have one now, long, sad story, don't ask, but save your money or look around and if you can find one, the 5.5 inch barrel Redhawk is a nice choice. The Blued ones are Discontinued now, so I doubly happy with mine. Also a very nice trigger on it, as smooth as any S&W I have ever shot. They are also built to last several lifetimes and will with proper care and maitainence.

beerman
02-26-2010, 5:31 PM
This is probably a good subject for another thread,but has anyone here ever had a ruger really break?....The blackhawks are tanks!.Who else makes 30 carbine revolvers?....OK cheap plug,but I have a 44 bisley on the for sale forum for less than a Taurus would cost.
http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab176/tigernrommey/guns/IMGP0658.jpg

Rob454
02-27-2010, 4:12 AM

i had a SS 6 inch model 44 and I sold it for 500$. i dotn think 530$ is a bad price. I doubt youll find it cheaper than that maybe 490 or so on sale.
When I had mine granted I did not shoot it that much it always performed flawlessly and not once did i have a problem

scout II
02-27-2010, 9:29 AM
Well I have the older blued 4" 44 mag from Taurus.It is as nice as any S&W I have.I also have a 41 mag Tracker.I have had a few problems with lock up with heavy loads.I now use lighter loads and have no problem.Taurus makes some very nice guns for the money.

CGK60
02-27-2010, 9:51 AM
Ruger Redhawk.

qaz987
02-27-2010, 10:47 AM
No Taurus bashing intended, I personally happen to like people that speak portuguese. Just trying to help a fellow Calgun'er out. $530 shipped sounds good but in reality is closer to $700 in his hands. Apply the same $700 to the private sales forum and eventually a good deal will be found. I did once have trouble finding a firing pin for a model 971, nice revolver but very few parts could be found. Solution was to mod a S&W pin. Interestingly and as expected the Taurus responses here are revealing. If a Taurus 44 were a great idea in the US they would be widely popular, yet they are not.

someR1
02-27-2010, 11:57 AM
No Taurus bashing intended, I personally happen to like people that speak portuguese. Just trying to help a fellow Calgun'er out. $530 shipped sounds good but in reality is closer to $700 in his hands. Apply the same $700 to the private sales forum and eventually a good deal will be found. I did once have trouble finding a firing pin for a model 971, nice revolver but very few parts could be found. Solution was to mod a S&W pin. Interestingly and as expected the Taurus responses here are revealing. If a Taurus 44 were a great idea in the US they would be widely popular, yet they are not.

Where are you getting the $700 figure from? $530 is shipped to my FFL plus $60-70 for DROS I'm looking at $600 for a new magnum out the door. Then, of course, at least $100 for 3 boxes of ammo.

Also, I think this particular model gun is quite popular, as many gun stores are sold out.

qaz987
02-27-2010, 12:00 PM
You didn't add tax plus not stocked is different than sold out.

someR1
02-27-2010, 12:27 PM
You didn't add tax plus not stocked is different than sold out.

lol tax will be about $15 plus if you look around the net most of these guns (44 mag) have been sold out for a while now. The point is, most taurus 44 mag owners are happy.

Army GI
02-27-2010, 12:57 PM
My 44-mag Tracker proved to be a reliable and accurate shooter. I have (maybe) 350-400 rounds down the tube with no issues what-so-ever. I would stay away from the more robust ammunition (Double Tap...Buffalo Bore) as they may prove to be a bit more than the Taurus can reliably handle.

Rich :)

This is my experience. The Taurus is a great cheap .44 gun. But it can't handle heavy .44 Magnum loads.

I had to knock the cases out of the cylinder with a wooden dowel and a hammer. The whole gun felt pretty loose after that.

qaz987
02-27-2010, 1:01 PM
lol tax will be about $15 plus if you look around the net most of these guns (44 mag) have been sold out for a while now. The point is, most taurus 44 mag owners are happy.

Your critical thinking skills need sharpening, the tax rate is higher than that.

BigDogatPlay
02-27-2010, 1:12 PM
I've shot a number of Taurus revolvers and semi-autos, and owned two (one of each type) I no longer own either one. The revolver was the biggest FPOS I've ever owned or shot. The auto, a PT99, was quite good.

The quality, workmanship and shootability has been wholly inconsistent across the board of all the Taurus products I've experienced. I rate them, personally, as a crap shoot... you might get a fine specimen, or you might get a fishing weight. And there is no way to tell in advance.

Having said all that, I picked up a 7.5 blue Redhawk a couple of years ago for $500. It is a solid as the day it left the plant and digests everything I put through it... including some loads I would not trust in any S&W. It's soon going to be getting a scope for a wider variety of hunting.

someR1
02-27-2010, 3:41 PM
Your critical thinking skills need sharpening, the tax rate is higher than that.

doesn't matter....the price of the gun is still $200-300 cheaper than any s&w or ruger, and just as reliable

ledman
02-27-2010, 5:06 PM
Any of you had experience with the Taurus 44 magnum in particular? I have read hit and miss stories with Taurus quality, but I have also read that their lifetime warranty and service is good. I'm thinking of a 44 magnum plinker...Found one for $530 shipped. Any input is appreciated!

-somer1

If you like it, buy it. Any gun you want to buy, someone somewhere here will find a reason to tell you not to buy it.

hammerhands32
02-27-2010, 6:42 PM
If you like it, buy it. Any gun you want to buy, someone somewhere here will find a reason to tell you not to buy it.

+ 1

hk91666
02-27-2010, 6:50 PM
++1

qaz987
03-05-2010, 2:28 PM

Weak minds offer weak advice.

paul0660
03-05-2010, 3:51 PM
I assume qaz knows ledman, or started happy hour early.

I like Taurii fine, and all manufacturers have problems with QA and QC occasionally. Any .44 mag is a fun gun and reliable if it works out of the box. If it isn't an immediate need I would shop around and get a classy one used.........one you don't have to apologize for to the jingoists. If you want one right now, get a Taurus, there is nothing wrong with them.

Army GI
03-05-2010, 6:07 PM

Agreed, I can't stand gun snobs either.

THAT SAID. Know what your gun can and can't do. All I provide is objective information so the OP can make his own decision if he wants to buy.

twotap
03-05-2010, 10:01 PM

I agree..I own a tracker and think it is just fine.

someR1
03-05-2010, 10:49 PM
ended up buying the Taurus 44 from buds....should be here by monday and then have to wait for jail release :(

pictures and range report coming soon!

JBird33
03-06-2010, 7:47 AM
All I know is, is that in my reloading manual there is a section for Ruger revolvers only. No such section exists for Taurus.

qaz987
03-06-2010, 1:11 PM
Jingoism? Does anyone even try to read a thread before a post? You don't know how much I hate the US and the idiots that live here. :D
A young guy with zero trades posted asks about experiences with a Taurus 44. So far 11 have recommended another revolver. On the other side, 1 posts positive experience after a web search, 4 others post positives but with EXCEPTIONS, jammed cylinders, no heavy loads, and crappy sight tape. So here comes the "Buy what you like" squad. I agree 100%, but the OP asked for experiences. Facts! Give me the facts or get the fact outta here. Want a fact? Here's one, from Bud's a Ruger RH costs $150 more.
I regretfully spent most of my life defending people's right to be an "ist." I however, am not one. I really hope jbird's post gets quoted.

qaz987
03-06-2010, 1:13 PM
All I know is, is that in my reloading manual there is a section for Ruger revolvers only. No such section exists for Taurus.

I couldn't wait. ;)

paul0660
03-06-2010, 1:17 PM
I guess Jbirds post is relevant.......if you agree with his POV.

I still don't get this:

Weak minds offer weak advice.

YOU are the one with the big mouth, Gaz, and it IS true that there will always be detractors of any make or model.

Or else happy hour even starts earlier on Saturdays.

qaz987
03-06-2010, 1:31 PM
No still sober but I appreciate the characterization. Big heads do have big mouths. Try rereading the posts. :D

JBird33
03-06-2010, 1:34 PM
I guess Jbirds post is relevant.......if you agree with his POV.

I think it is relevant regardless of whatever you believe my POV to be. No matter if someone reloads or not, the fact that Rugers ( for YEARS now) can shoot especially hot loads that would damage other revolvers shows not only superior durability but also longevity. Even if my intent was to only shoot minimum power target loads through my handgun, the insurance of knowing it's potential to do much more would be comforting. If someone is about to pay hard earned money for a new handgun, why not buy the one that offers the absolute most for your money? Aesthetics is the only reason I can even fathom, and when it comes to weapons I believe that should be the absolute last thing to judge a gun on.

someR1
03-06-2010, 4:26 PM
Jingoism? Does anyone even try to read a thread before a post? You don't know how much I hate the US and the idiots that live here. :D
A young guy with zero trades posted asks about experiences with a Taurus 44. So far 11 have recommended another revolver. On the other side, 1 posts positive experience after a web search, 4 others post positives but with EXCEPTIONS, jammed cylinders, no heavy loads, and crappy sight tape. So here comes the "Buy what you like" squad. I agree 100%, but the OP asked for experiences. Facts! Give me the facts or get the fact outta here. Want a fact? Here's one, from Bud's a Ruger RH costs $150 more.
I regretfully spent most of my life defending people's right to be an "ist." I however, am not one. I really hope jbird's post gets quoted.
1) what does my age have to do with anything?
2) zero trades? who gives a crap?
3) People posting about the 44model had no complaints (other specific models were different)

runninmike
03-06-2010, 5:00 PM
1) what does my age have to do with anything?
2) zero trades? who gives a crap?
3) People posting about the 44model had no complaints (other specific models were different)

Just go out and get some experience with your new gun and judge it for yourself. I have seen some of the Taurus' 44's and they seem pretty hefty. I've had 2 S&W 629s and had to sell them but got a Ruger SuperBlack Hawk that I am very fond of. I would try a Taurus if given the chance, but none of my shooting buds have owned one and I haven't really seen that many for sale where I shop. Many of us are biased to what we have grown up with, and I'm in the S&W and Ruger camp in that regard, but that doesn't mean the Taurus doesn't work for many folks. Many people like them. Give a test and come back and post your experience-it'll be nice to see how you fared.
Best-Mike

someR1
03-06-2010, 5:13 PM
Just go out and get some experience with your new gun and judge it for yourself. I have seen some of the Taurus' 44's and they seem pretty hefty. I've had 2 S&W 629s and had to sell them but got a Ruger SuperBlack Hawk that I am very fond of. I would try a Taurus if given the chance, but none of my shooting buds have owned one and I haven't really seen that many for sale where I shop. Many of us are biased to what we have grown up with, and I'm in the S&W and Ruger camp in that regard, but that doesn't mean the Taurus doesn't work for many folks. Many people like them. Give a test and come back and post your experience-it'll be nice to see how you fared.
Best-Mike

I know exactly what you mean. Many people are biased, and give false information on weapons that they have never handled before. I don't tell ANYONE what guns they should buy. I just give them my PERSONAL experience with weapons that I own or have used.

I will be sure to do a range report with this gun. Either way, I know Taurus will have great customer service. You can't beat a lifetime warranty!

runninmike
03-06-2010, 5:17 PM
Right on

wellerjohn
03-06-2010, 6:41 PM

Ive had my Tarus 6" 44 mag for13 years and never had any trouble exceprt for the orange plastic insert on the front sight seems a little loose. It's only had my handloads ran through it mostly 44 cast, but some hunting 44 mag loads. She'll do 2" groups at 50 yrds any day.

someR1
03-07-2010, 5:31 PM
Ive had my Tarus 6" 44 mag for13 years and never had any trouble exceprt for the orange plastic insert on the front sight seems a little loose. It's only had my handloads ran through it mostly 44 cast, but some hunting 44 mag loads. She'll do 2" groups at 50 yrds any day.

Thank you for your report. I will soon post results so that people will get honest answers!

qswdef
03-07-2010, 8:20 PM
I see this. I've heard this. I've been reading negative comments about Taurus from people who seem to have never fired one let alone own one.
My .44 raging bull and .44 tracker shoot as well as either of my 686's (.357 4" and 6"). Is you've had a FIRST HAND negative experience with a Taurus, we all appreciatre hearing about it. Otherwise, ...

qaz987
03-08-2010, 11:33 AM
ended up buying the Taurus 44 from buds....should be here by monday and then have to wait for jail release :(

pictures and range report coming soon!

:D Bull shat! You aren't even close to being 21. Have you googled the tax rate yet? Hard to know these things when mommy still pays the tax.

And for the "members" who don't think long established .44 reloading tables are relevant, what exactly is the point of only shooting standard magnum loads? That's akin to a muscle car only driving 55. Stoopid!

rumblebee
03-08-2010, 11:46 AM
as someone who has dealt with their CS...they do not have great Cust Serv! Hopefully, you'll have no issues. :eek::)

I know exactly what you mean. Many people are biased, and give false information on weapons that they have never handled before. I don't tell ANYONE what guns they should buy. I just give them my PERSONAL experience with weapons that I own or have used.

I will be sure to do a range report with this gun. Either way, I know Taurus will have great customer service. You can't beat a lifetime warranty!

RedFord150
03-08-2010, 11:54 AM
...Is you've had a FIRST HAND negative experience with a Taurus, we all appreciatre hearing about it. Otherwise, ...

I already posted my FIRSTHAND experience with Taurus quality and customer service. Apparently, the OP and the Taurus fans only want to hear good stuff about Taurus and tell all the many 'naysayers' they are full of B*S. In this case, please do not waste my time. If you are 'Pre Disposed' to buying the Taurus and you are just looking to get somebody to reassure you that your choice is a good one, JUST BUY THE GUN AND BE DONE WITH IT! You don't need my FIRSTHAND experience to do what you would have done anyway.
I am not prejudiced against South American guns. I own a Bersa Thunder made in Argentina. I will tell you to pick the Bersa over a Walther PPK/s. If the Taurus (made in Brazil) was good quality and Taurus had good customer service, I would still own the gun. I do not. Enough said.
Please spend YOUR money on the Taurus and come back and tell us how great it is.

someR1
03-08-2010, 3:49 PM
:D Bull shat! You aren't even close to being 21. Have you googled the tax rate yet? Hard to know these things when mommy still pays the tax.

And for the "members" who don't think long established .44 reloading tables are relevant, what exactly is the point of only shooting standard magnum loads? That's akin to a muscle car only driving 55. Stoopid!

First off, you can't add because I'm 23. And it seems like your the child, flaming every post that I make. Do you own a Taurus 44? No, so stop flaming this thread. Your input is worthless here. I specifically asked for help from TAURUS 44 OWNERS. NOT "I shot it once" or "I hate Taurus because others say they are crap".

someR1
03-08-2010, 3:53 PM
as someone who has dealt with their CS...they do not have great Cust Serv! Hopefully, you'll have no issues. :eek::)

Of course there will be some people that have had ONE bad experience. But most people, from what I've read, have had a good experience.

RedFord150
03-08-2010, 4:05 PM
Of course there will be some people that have had ONE bad experience. But most people, from what I've read, have had a good experience.

Just curious, why do you ask for opinions and than argue with everyone who tells you something negative?

You're going to buy the gun no matter what you hear. Why do you need us to agree with you?

rumblebee
03-08-2010, 4:30 PM
Actually..it was three bad CS run in's with Taurus...not one (on the same new gun)....granted it was the Tracker .357....but, CS is CS.

Like I wrote, hopefully you'll be ok with yours. :)

someR1
03-08-2010, 9:45 PM
Just curious, why do you ask for opinions and than argue with everyone who tells you something negative?

You're going to buy the gun no matter what you hear. Why do you need us to agree with you?

I asked for opinions from people who actually OWNED the gun....then people started giving me BS information when they never owned the gun or even fired one.

someR1
03-08-2010, 9:47 PM
Actually..it was three bad CS run in's with Taurus...not one (on the same new gun)....granted it was the Tracker .357....but, CS is CS.

Like I wrote, hopefully you'll be ok with yours. :)

if it's a POS ....ill eat my words. We shall see.

CD MCKINNEY
03-09-2010, 4:41 PM
I have a Taurus stainless 4" [ported] M44 - .44 magnum that I picked up at a pawn shop, in as new condition for $350. I fired many 240 gr JHP's through it and had no problems at all; it's accurate and smooth.

I also had a Taurus stainless 4" .357 Tracker that was fine too and I'm in the process of buying a [like new] Taurus stainless 6" .480 Ruger [for $450] and I love the Taurus revolvers and recommend them highly.

RedFord150
03-09-2010, 6:36 PM
...I have read hit and miss stories with Taurus quality, but I have also read that their lifetime warranty and service is good....Any input is appreciated!...

This is the part of the post I responded to. Where did you say you only wanted replies from owners of Taurus 44 mag?
You asked for input and you got REAL WORLD experiences from current and former Taurus owners. You do not want to hear the negative stuff, only the positive. You should have made it clear you only wanted good experiences.
As I look at the dozen or so makers I have actually bought guns from, Taurus is 2nd from the bottom. They are slightly better than the Jennings I once owned.
Good luck with your 44 mag.