PDA

View Full Version : Random Thoughts upon return from a 2 week trip...

missiondude
02-26-2010, 11:44 AM
So I just got back home after a 2 week road trip with my wife. I had to attend an Antique show and conference in North Carolina that I have been going to for the past 13 years. I was pretty certain that with the current economy the show would not be the best, but having already committed more than 6 months ago I was going regardless. For the first time since I have been doing the show, my wife wanted to drive along with me rather than fly in the day before, and against the advise of several others I happily obliged. She wanted me to bring a gun on the trip, so I decided to take one cross country for the first time. I tried to research the laws in as many states as I could, but soon came to the conclusion that we have the most restrictive laws of any of the states I was going to be traveling through, and I just decided to transport it as if I were in cali. Yeah, I know it would be no good if I got carjacked, but I was really bringing it for all the stays in random locations as I went.

My wife has an app for Starbucks, and likes one in the morning, so I jokingly asked about a Wallmart app so I might find some of that elusive 45ACP. I stopped at dozens of Walmarts from AZ to NC with only 1 damn box of Federal 50 ct 45ACP to show for my efforts. At least I did not waste alot of time, as I only stopped when she needed a bathroom break, and the stores were along the interstate. I did buy a pile of 22lr and 40 cal since almost every store had some of that on hand. I dont know if 22lr is still hard to find at Wallys in Cali, but the rest of the country seemed to have it when I walked in at various times of the day.

To make a long ammo story short, the first 45 ACP I found in quantity was when I stopped for the night in Mobile AL I walked in the store and could not believe my eyes. 5 boxes of 100 ct WWB and numerous boxes of 50 ct Federal. Between my wife and I we bought 850 rounds. The next morning as we crossed the state line into Lousiana, she wanted a Starbucks and checked for one near the Interstate. She found one that was 1 mile off the highway, but did not want me to have to go into town. I figured since we were in no hurry to get home that I would stop. I did not even ask about Walmart as I already had a nice little pile, but was rewarded with one right next to the Starbucks. That Walmart had 2 cases or 45ACP plus all the other pistol stuff in stock. Yup, completely full shelves with not a shotgun shell in the locked case. Bought 6 because I was there, but should have sent my wife in for 6 also.

Did not get a chance to shoot on the entire trip. Happy that I did not need to shoot, but did want to find a range and shoot in a free state...Oh well, next year.

I also learned that I am addicted to Calguns, the withdrawls were terrible. I missed the 2nd amendment forum, the handgun forum, the classifieds, and of course the soap opera that is the Freakshow forum. Just like a real soap, you can miss 2 weeks, and still follow the story perfectly:rolleyes:

Ultimate
02-26-2010, 12:06 PM
Sounds fun, and i know what you mean about the calguns withdrawals. What was the going rate for .45 acp?

CornFedWB
02-26-2010, 12:39 PM
Yeah my walmart quit selling ammo PERIOD. I remember the day when they had shotguns, and pellet rifles along with tons of ammo.

nrvnqsrxk
02-26-2010, 12:57 PM
Dude congrats on the find. I hope the trip with the wife went without a fight :)

DougJ
02-26-2010, 2:34 PM
I just got back within the hour from my second mission in the last couple of months to the Salt Lake City, UT area.

I went to cabelas (in Lehi) each time and the amount of ammo of ALL kinds on the shelves is a glorious thing to behold. I'm in good shape on pistol stuff as I'm loading that, but it was all there. I did buy 500 rnds of Tula .223 at $4.99 a box of 20 plus some various other .223 to try out, 500 22LR mini mags, and some tumbling media I want to try. We needed to add about 30 lbs to our baggage for the weight & balance calcs. ;)

I forgot about posting something on this before, with the bare shelves and prices here it was SO nice to see overflowing ammo shelves again. For example there must have been at least 25 different types of .223/5.56 to choose from!

kurac
02-26-2010, 3:38 PM
so how was the antique show?