View Full Version : Legal question...buying handgun from someone who moved into CA

02-26-2010, 8:34 AM
I am purchasing a browning hi-power practical at a killer price, the owner moved here from Texas. The problem is he never claimed them when he moved which I hear you are supposed to do within 60 days. How would I go about purchasing this gun?

02-26-2010, 8:39 AM
Both go to an FFL and do a private party transfer.

Perfectly legal to buy a pistol that CA doesn't know about - lots of them here.

And then the seller ought to go legal and file his new-resident handgun registrations (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/ab991frm.pdf) for the rest of his collection.

02-26-2010, 8:45 AM
Thank you! Wasn't sure if it had to be "claimed" before selling or not.

02-26-2010, 8:47 AM
My experience is that if a handgun that is not "on record" in CA and is subsequently PPT'd at an FFL there is no problem. If you're picturing DOJ making phone calls to the gun store or current owner - where'd you get this and how long have you lived here, etc - that has not been my experience. My experience is the PPT goes through, DOJ gets the gun "on record" and that's it.

Hopefully the seller did get a CA ID - I don't think the PPT can be done unless he demonstrates he's a CA resident. I understand there's some discussion as to whether it should be that way but evey gun store I use requires CA ID.