PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Ultrasonic Cleaners?

Good_Knight
02-26-2010, 1:20 AM
http://www.slip2000.com/ultrasonic.html

VictorFranko
02-26-2010, 3:00 AM
Ultrasonic can actually damage parts if there is metal to metal contact.
If there is any braze joint in what you are cleaning, the braze material will be attacked long before the base material.
Use sparingly.

Dubels
02-26-2010, 10:46 AM
I loved them for car parts but I dunno about gun parts. They work great for carbs

bigkahuna04
02-26-2010, 10:54 AM
good for steel and polymer guns....but probably need to be careful with softer metals..

we test our ultrasonic machines by placing a strip of aluminum foil in the cleaning basket running the length of the basket. It takes 10-15 minutes and we will notice ragged holes thru the aluminum foil. That is an indication that the ultrasonic is working at a good power level. Aluminum Alloys used in guns may not be as prone for this to happen..

may want to check these people out and ask questions:
http://www.lrultrasonics.com/industries/weapons/

elsolo
02-26-2010, 3:16 PM
I used to use them extensively at a former job, cleaned everything one could imagine in them.

I bought a used Crest tabletop model that retails over $1000 for home use on gun stuff. It was a high amplitude, variable frequency model that had a 2 gallon tank. It worked OK on knocking loose powder residue from hard to reach places, but was no magic cleaning machine for gun parts.

It also will cause any plating (chrome, nickel, gold) or coating type finish to flake off, it just needs to have a microscopic crack in the coating (which your stuff will have) to get started. It will "etch" aluminum and partially remove anodizing because the Al is soft enough to be damaged by the imploding bubbles.

I sold it, it had no real value to me for cleaning gun stuff.
I prefer Hoppes, Brake cleaner, compressed air, and rags.
Works just as fast without damaging parts.

EDITED TO ADD:
They do a great job of cleaning muzzle brakes / compensators; but I never remove muzzle devices if at all possible, and having to rig a way to hold the gun over the tank so just the comp is in the cleaner is a hassle.