PDA

View Full Version : XD 45 with a casing stuck

911Dave
02-25-2010, 9:17 PM
Hey guys,
New to the forum and looking for help.
I went to the range today with my XD 45 and got off 19 rounds and the last one jammed in the chamber. The recoile rod is partially sticking out of the front of the gun. I can't get the slide to open. As far as I know the round went off. I dont have any mirrors other than the bathroom in the house, and I'm not looking up the business end. The slide is stuck in a partial open position where I can see the brass at the breech.
The question is do I have to return the gun to Springfield of can a gun smith handle this ?

mif_slim
02-25-2010, 9:19 PM
Take a picture so we can hopefully help.

El Gato
02-25-2010, 9:23 PM
You can run a brass rod into the barrel... carefully and confirm the round fired... I've then pounded the rod with a hammer to push the case out of the chamber...sounds like a very rough chamber or a very stout load... or both...

inbox485
02-25-2010, 10:09 PM
Hey guys,
New to the forum and looking for help.
I went to the range today with my XD 45 and got off 19 rounds and the last one jammed in the chamber. The recoile rod is partially sticking out of the front of the gun. I can't get the slide to open. As far as I know the round went off. I dont have any mirrors other than the bathroom in the house, and I'm not looking up the business end. The slide is stuck in a partial open position where I can see the brass at the breech.
The question is do I have to return the gun to Springfield of can a gun smith handle this ?

Sounds like you have a case rupture lodged in the chamber. Basically you have to force the case back out of the chamber. If you force the slide back you risk breaking the extractor. So focus on pushing the case back

I'd start by getting a wooden dowel cut a couple inches longer than what fits in the barrel, put the dowel in the barrel, point the gun down with the dowel on a hard surface and lean your body weight into the grip to dislodge the casing.

BamBam-31
02-25-2010, 10:13 PM
Hi Dave, and welcome to CGN! :)

You probably don't need to send it in to Springfield.

First off, did you try slamming the back of the frame w/ your strong hand? Hold the slide FIRMLY w/ your support hand using an overhand grip, then slam the web of your strong hand into the high curved part of the back of the grip. Usually does the trick.

If not, you can probably tap a wood dowel w/ a hammer in the business end of the barrel til it clears. That's probably how a smith would do it (if the slam method doesn't work first). You can probably check to see if the bullet is still there by measuring how far a rod goes back. If it doesn't go all the way back to the breach face, the bullet is probably still there.

Were these reloads, by any chance?

bohoki
02-25-2010, 10:21 PM
yea stink in an unsharpened pencil to see if anything is lodged if not just slam the gun down on the pencil in the barrel or wham it with a rubber mallet

only use about half strength not macho man "oh yeaa!" strenght

bohoki
03-02-2010, 9:53 PM
i'm getting kind of worried i hope he didn't shoot himself

1 post people are kind of like renting a gun and buying one bullet

Sheldon
03-02-2010, 10:29 PM
First, as mentioned, you need to determine if the case in the chamber is loaded or not. If the case ruptured, I think he would have experienced a lot of other bad things besides the locked slide....like a blown out magazine. If the case is a fired one it may have just popped off the extractor and re-fed into the chamber. In this scenario the fired case would have been oversize and jammed into the chamber. I usually just push the top front portion of the slide (the little portion right above the barrel) against something non-marring, like a wooden surface and use a sharp hard push of the frame to dislodge the case.

Blackhawk556
03-02-2010, 10:57 PM
dude post back quick so that we know you are ok

xtalpimp
03-03-2010, 5:53 PM
Even though the above solutions work , please make sure that the round has in fact fired and there is just a stuck brass case in the chamber before trying any of the fixes.

Swift Justice
03-03-2010, 7:26 PM
Squib round stuck part way down the barrel with just enough space to partially feed the next round which james up against the first bullet? Happened to me once with a Glock but I was able to eventually manipulate the slide enough to eject the stuck round.