PDA

View Full Version : Frusterated that Kel-Tec is not on the Roster, will they be in the future?

Rabidmonkey777
02-25-2010, 5:40 PM
I am looking at a pf-9 to Conceal once I obtain my CCW permit, but just realized that NO Kel-Tec pistols are on the DOJ approved hand gun list!!!:mad::mad::mad: What gives? Will they be on the roster in the future. What other tiny 9mm pocket guns are available that you guys recommend? Kahr pm9? Glock 26?

BigDogatPlay
02-25-2010, 5:45 PM
Kahrs are, generally speaking, the shizzle. They are the real deal in a true pocket gun, IMO.

If the roster gets flushed through litigation, you won't have to worry about it. :)

Rabidmonkey777
02-25-2010, 5:49 PM
Yah I was impressed by the Kahr's slimness. I like how it had an extended mag and the 6 round flush magazine(i believe). Do you carry one? I am looking for a "pocket gun" essentially. I will most likely carry in some kind of pocket holster *uncle mikes or something.

9mmepiphany
02-25-2010, 6:42 PM
i'm pretty sure i remember reading that Kel-Tec decided not to submit any handguns for approval/certification

i will recommend the Kahr is uber reliable once you've completed the recommended "break in" period. with any sub-compact pistol, you'll want to follow their spring replacement recommendation too

Intimid8tor
02-25-2010, 6:55 PM
I have a PF9 for sale. Search the ads.

Ultimate
02-25-2010, 7:53 PM
Kahrs are, generally speaking, the shizzle. They are the real deal in a true pocket gun, IMO.

If the roster gets flushed through litigation, you won't have to worry about it. :)

Have they said anything about the handgun roster requirement being removed? News or anything?

Librarian
02-25-2010, 9:28 PM
Have they said anything about the handgun roster requirement being removed? News or anything?

"They"?

A lawsuit (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Pena_v_Cid) has been filed, by the Calguns Foundation, in Federal Court; it's on hold for Nordyke (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Nordyke_v._King), which is on hold for McDonald (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/McDonald_v._Chicago).

Check back about December.

BigDogatPlay
02-25-2010, 10:01 PM
Do you carry one? I am looking for a "pocket gun" essentially. I will most likely carry in some kind of pocket holster *uncle mikes or something.

I do not own a Kahr... yet. If I was still working the street I absolutely would. I know several LEOs who carry them as BUGs. A couple of them carry the .40 S&W models. I've fired several examples. They are ultra-reliable and very good shooters considering their size, and even the .40 gets lost in a pants pocket easily.

The Nemesis pocket holster is top flight.

inbox485
02-25-2010, 10:19 PM
I am looking at a pf-9 to Conceal once I obtain my CCW permit, but just realized that NO Kel-Tec pistols are on the DOJ approved hand gun list!!!:mad::mad::mad: What gives? Will they be on the roster in the future. What other tiny 9mm pocket guns are available that you guys recommend? Kahr pm9? Glock 26?

You will never ever see another gun added to the roster. You may see guns come off the roster as manufactures tire of paying the ransom. You may see the list destroyed and either handguns become banned altogether or no handgun will be restricted. But the legislature has made sure that no gun will ever be approved again.

wellerjohn
02-25-2010, 10:38 PM
Thats funny several were just added? http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/recentlyadded.pdf

inbox485
02-25-2010, 11:30 PM
Thats funny several were just added? http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/recentlyadded.pdf

Yes. All revolvers. I was referring to semi-autos.

wellerjohn
02-26-2010, 7:50 AM
Kahr Arms P380 isn't a revolver

bigcalidave
02-26-2010, 9:37 AM
There are keltecs for sale all the time, just keep looking. Great guns. And much less expensive than the kahr.

xxsleepyxx
02-26-2010, 11:42 AM
PM9 a replacement for the Kel-Tecs? Yes they are great but at the price of a Kahr (700-900) including fees versus 400 for a Kel Tec. There is no comparison. Kahr is BANKING from the current predicament at our hands. It fills a niche so if money is not an issue PM9 is wonderful.

curtp11
02-26-2010, 12:10 PM
If you can come ever find one, the Kel Tec P-11 is a very nice firearm. Outside of the PRK, with a 12 rd. mag, it makes a fine CCW firearm. I sure like mine. Now and then pictures, fed from 4-12's and the stock 10.

Best of Luck on getting rid of "The List" too, maybe someday the PRK will Honor other states CWP's too. We Honor theirs, it seems only fair, we don't become crazoids just because we are in LaLa Land, no offense, but we are the Good Guys and just want to be able to have the ability and tools to protect ourselves and loved ones. That is a Common Sense Gun Law.

inbox485
02-26-2010, 1:09 PM

It isn't new either. Certian variants can get added without approval. The actual approval for any semi-auto requires a loaded chamber indicator. While that may seem simple as their are many LCI's on the market, the regulation is written such that no LCI has ever met muster nor is any LCI likely to ever meet muster. The list is effectively closed.

Roccobro
02-26-2010, 1:25 PM
There are many ways around the roster.

Where are you located?

Justin

IrishPirate
02-26-2010, 1:28 PM
The question is not "will they be on the roster?" young grasshopper......but rather, "when will the roster be defeated?"

We await the McDonald outcome and the flood of litigation that will certainly follow.

Namaste!
http://www.molonlabe.com/Main/CAVkopelli2A.jpg

inbox485
02-26-2010, 1:53 PM
If you can come ever find one, the Kel Tec P-11 is a very nice firearm. Outside of the PRK, with a 12 rd. mag, it makes a fine CCW firearm. I sure like mine. Now and then pictures, fed from 4-12's and the stock 10.

Best of Luck on getting rid of "The List" too, maybe someday the PRK will Honor other states CWP's too. We Honor theirs, it seems only fair, we don't become crazoids just because we are in LaLa Land, no offense, but we are the Good Guys and just want to be able to have the ability and tools to protect ourselves and loved ones. That is a Common Sense Gun Law.

There are a few loopholes to the roster. I (legally) have an off roster XD45. Bought it from an officer who could legally buy it off roster. Talk around, check gun broker and you can get eventually find most off roster guns that are legally transferable to non-leos.

Roccobro
02-26-2010, 2:06 PM
And they can be sent in under inter-family transfer too.

Just takes some know how and help. And a little bit of $$ of course. lol

Justin

Rabidmonkey777
02-26-2010, 4:57 PM
I am up in Humboldt Co. My local shops don't have the biggest variety. I should keep looking around. Maybe I will hit up the pawn shows this weekend and see if I can find a diamond in the ruff (pf9). Yah the Kahr's are expensive, so that is a deterrent. I really want a pf9. What is this legislation *McDonald* that is going through right now?

Librarian
02-26-2010, 5:00 PM
What is this legislation *McDonald* that is going through right now?

Not legislation - a case before the Supreme Court. See here (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/McDonald_v._Chicago).

xxsleepyxx
02-26-2010, 5:28 PM
More luck Rabidmonkey on the for sale forum here. There aren't currently any PF9 but there was less than a month ago. I really want a kel-tec but I won't pay that much one.

oso grande
03-21-2010, 12:21 AM
There are many ways around the roster.

Can you name a few?

OG

hellraiser
03-21-2010, 2:31 AM
There are keltecs for sale all the time, just keep looking. Great guns. And much less expensive than the kahr.

some times i just takes a while right...;)

but its true they pop up all the time... its just a matter of having cash in hand and being quick on the draw!!!

as for the pf9 they are great pistols!!!

be diligent about reading the for sale forum and put up a thread in the want to buy section... and maybe one finds you!

ke6guj
03-21-2010, 2:50 AM
You will never ever see another gun added to the roster. You may see guns come off the roster as manufactures tire of paying the ransom. You may see the list destroyed and either handguns become banned altogether or no handgun will be restricted. But the legislature has made sure that no gun will ever be approved again.

incorrect. A couple new designs have been added in the last couple months.

The Sig P250 is a brand new design, as well as the FMK-9. Both are new designs that did not "piggyback" on an existing approval.

It isn't new either. Certian variants can get added without approval. The actual approval for any semi-auto requires a loaded chamber indicator. While that may seem simple as their are many LCI's on the market, the regulation is written such that no LCI has ever met muster nor is any LCI likely to ever meet muster. The list is effectively closed.the Kahr P380 is new. The roster-listed version was made specially for CA with an LCI that met muster. Same with the P250 and FMK-9. So, no, the list is not closed.

Colt-45
03-21-2010, 2:55 AM
If you want a Keltec for carrying why not just get a Walther ppk?

xxsleepyxx
03-21-2010, 7:56 AM
^ because it's way heavier

dog
03-21-2010, 12:54 PM
It isn't new either. Certian variants can get added without approval. The actual approval for any semi-auto requires a loaded chamber indicator. While that may seem simple as their are many LCI's on the market, the regulation is written such that no LCI has ever met muster nor is any LCI likely to ever meet muster. The list is effectively closed.

Kahr is specifically making a p380 with lci and mag disconnect for Cali. Sig also recently made their p250 to Cali spec. Both happened in 2010.

Roccobro
03-21-2010, 8:50 PM
Can you name a few?

OG

Intra-familiar transfer, LEO PPT, single shot.....

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/The_Safe_Handgun_List

oso grande
03-21-2010, 11:42 PM
Intra-familiar transfer, LEO PPT, single shot.....

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/The_Safe_Handgun_List

Yep Roccobro...those are good ways to get an Off Roster pistol.
Thanks.

Roccobro
03-22-2010, 12:25 AM
It's in the FAQ forum. Might want to bone up to get hooked up. :party:

Justin

oso grande
03-22-2010, 11:08 AM
It's in the FAQ forum. Might want to bone up to get hooked up. :party:

Justin

Justin I appreciate your efforts. With no LEO, no direct linage family members out of state, and no single action/single shot...I'm pretty much out of luck.
I thought you might have a loop hole of some sort that would enable the average guy to acquire a gun from the outside world [legally].
I'm not going to bone up on CA gun law...I haven't had breakfast yet.
Thanks for your effort.

Forresthttp://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/images/icons/icon14.gif