PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here dislike SRTs in Sigs?

gorenut
02-25-2010, 11:17 AM
For a while, I've been looking to getting the SRT upgrade for my P226. Seeing the new e2 Sigs has piqued my interest in it again. I've heard plenty of good stuff about it.. but I'm curious if anyone here prefers the regular trigger over the SRT, and why? Thanks in advance for the input.

kduly
02-25-2010, 2:39 PM
gorenut - wish I can say "don't get it" ..but ALL of my Sigs have them. Some may find the DA to be "a bit on the rough side" but all of my Sigs have very smooth DA/SA pulls.

gorenut
02-25-2010, 2:47 PM
I've read up a lil more on sigforum amongst many others.. and now I'm more 50/50 on em. I heard it gives a more "crunchy" DA and something about compromising a safety pin or something. I'll wait til I can make a side by side comparison some day when I find the time. If not, I can always put in some snap caps and dry fire my gun a few thousand times to get the trigger atleast really smooth. I think that concerns me more than a shorter reset.

cineski
02-25-2010, 2:52 PM
Only thing bad about it is it moves the point of break further back into your palm which I feel is a negative. Otherwise they're great.

gorenut
02-25-2010, 2:53 PM
Another thing I just picked up.. seems like many feel the QTR offered on this site: http://www.totalautomation.us/sigcorner.htm is a better alternative because it still keeps everything else in the Sig intact. Similar to what they do at Grayguns.

timmyb21
02-25-2010, 3:29 PM
I had a 229 that had the DA only system (can't remember what it's called at the moment) and the only real problem I had was that the trigger itself rubbed my finger wrong, to the point that I got a blister. It sucked. My 1911's do the same thing, but only because of the trigger overtravel adjustment (I swapped my MC Op trigger for a 10-8 one, it's nice!). I guess I just have girly fingers.

CWM4A1
02-25-2010, 3:47 PM
If your SIG has crappy DA trigger pull, it's likely not due to installation of SRT. More likely due to SIG gone cheap and start using MIM trigger and hammer. I replace the hammer and trigger on my P220 Elite Stainless with an old P226 forged trigger/hammber (yes, they are compatible), and it's smoother than ever.

As far as people claim SRT de-activate the firing pin safety, it could happen only if the hammer fall and double on you; but in order for the gun to double with SRT installed, all of the following will have to take place together:

1. You are still holding onto the trigger.
2. Your hammer's SA notch is completely worn out, or sear is completely worn out, or sear spring is broken.
3. Your hammer's safety cut is worn out (where sear catches on in case if it missed the SA notch), or your sear spring is broken and render sear useless.

You are looking at a scenario that's very unlikely to happen unless you have a very high round-count (like 30K+, and I am focus on fail springs, not parts). However, if you haven't replace all springs in your gun by that round count as preventive maintenance, it would be your own fault that the gun starts to malfunction.

9mmepiphany
02-25-2010, 4:27 PM
You are looking at a scenario that's very unlikely to happen unless you have a very high round-count

the "issue" is brought up because it did happen to new SRT equipped Sig models while they were competing with S&W for the CHP contract.

Sig has since increased the hammer/sear engagement and increased spring tension...that's why SRT factory triggers as sometimes referred to as heavy or gritty.

to me, it just doesn't seem like a good idea to bypass a original design safety feature when there are better options out there that accomplish the same thing. this is especially true if you plan to have your action tuned by a company like Grayguns

CWM4A1
02-25-2010, 4:56 PM
Interesting. Anything to read on that account as for what happened?

9mmepiphany
02-25-2010, 6:36 PM
no such lucky, it was during a demo...it was passed off as a "quick followup" shot

i got it from someone who was in attendance

RT13
02-26-2010, 1:27 AM
I'm not too fond of the SRT trigger either. It feels heavier and grittier, and yes it definitely puts the breaking point of the trigger further back which is what I hate the most about it. I still prefer the original style Sig triggers just like everything else original from Sig. Every "new" thing Sig has changed/done and is doing to their products are not for the better for sure. I just can't understand why they didn't just leave what was a good solid product alone. I don't know what has happened to this once great company. Once I swore by them and only considered them the best. Now I can simply say that Sig sucks in every way these days and it all began in the last 5 or 6 years. Ok rant over.

Black Majik
02-26-2010, 9:55 AM
I want a SRT trigger kit to put in my P226, but have held off for one reason. My trigger is very, very smooth from shooting it over the years. Swapping to a SRT trigger would surely increase the roughness in my trigger pull. So, I had to decide whether I wanted a smooth trigger or a shorter reset. I've seen the close-ups of current production SIG small parts, it ain't impressive. I'll stay factory. If I ever want a short reset I'll just send it up to Bruce instead.

gorenut
02-26-2010, 11:05 AM
I want a SRT trigger kit to put in my P226, but have held off for one reason. My trigger is very, very smooth from shooting it over the years. Swapping to a SRT trigger would surely increase the roughness in my trigger pull. So, I had to decide whether I wanted a smooth trigger or a shorter reset. I've seen the close-ups of current production SIG small parts, it ain't impressive. I'll stay factory. If I ever want a short reset I'll just send it up to Bruce instead.

I think this is the conclusion I've come to after a week of researching it. My trigger is just getting to the point where its starting to get really smooth and to me I prefer to have the smoother trigger pull. Also on the same book if I do decide later one I want it, I'll go with Bruce or the QTR

pistolero805
02-27-2010, 6:30 AM
I have the SRT in my 229 elite. I prefer it over the standard sig triggers that I have had in the past. I don't feel any noticeable grit or heaviness. The SRT was a factory job on the elite and the elite was produced a couple of years ago so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I like it.... I like it uuuhlot.

bsg
02-27-2010, 11:30 AM
years ago i installed short trigger on an old P226; it was too short and my finger began blistering. i thought it would work for me because the stock grips were just a tad wide, but i was mistaken and went back to the original trigger.

-Brady-

9mmepiphany
02-27-2010, 2:21 PM
years ago i installed short trigger on an old P226

the SRT has no bearing on the trigger itself....it only affects the reset distance

bsg
02-27-2010, 3:12 PM
thanks 9mmepiphany; not thinking; still remember that short trigger....

-Brady-