PDA

View Full Version : Legal to ship into CA a threaded barrel for semi/detach?

orangeusa
02-25-2010, 9:59 AM
I've read the DOJ document again and again. Tried to do my homework. Read the "read before posting AW questions" :)

Still confused:
A fellow wants to sell a threaded barrel into CA for a Beretta 92. Clearly semi-auto, w/ detachable mag.

But it's an individual part. I assume you can buy it and NOT install it, but it seems like pushing the envelope.

Assume buyer not LEO, or special exceptions, or pre-ban, etc. And I don't think you can apply for it to be an AW before you get the parts....

QUESTION: Illegal to sell threaded barrel into CA? And if so, both buyer and seller on hook?

Sorry if highly redundant question, but gets into both "suppressor" and "AW" areas...

Untamed1972
02-25-2010, 10:05 AM
posession of the threaded barrel is legal. installing it in the pistol would make in an unregistered assault pistol, unless it had a permantly attached compensator or welded thread protector over the threads.

ke6guj
02-25-2010, 10:07 AM
Yes, it is legal to sell a threaded barrel into CA. There is no constructive possesion of AWs in CA. Besides, the buyer could have a legal use for it. They could pin the mag if they wanted to or they could pin somthing on the end to "remove" the threaded feature.

There is no "supressor" are that this gets into.

dachan
02-25-2010, 10:08 AM
As I told you in the Beretta Forum, threaded barrels for handguns themselves are fine in CA, perfectly legal to possess, buy, sell, etc. However, a semi-automatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and has a threaded barrel is considered a CA assault weapon and must be registered with the DOJ. So you're good to go to buy a threaded barrel for your Beretta if you're in CA, you just cannot install it onto your gun while you are in the state unless your firearm is registered as an AW. You're also perfectly fine keeping the barrel in your house with the firearm, there is no constructive possession for CA AW's. If you are still unclear, refer to PC12276.1 (a) (4).

orangeusa
02-25-2010, 10:43 AM
Apparently the DOJ 55 page "summary" is just that. Not enough to figure out the answers.

And - LGS are typically not good places to ask questions like this. If you dis-agree - come talk to some of the folks at a few of MY gun stores... :)

Hence, the post.

I see the rationale about components, and intent. You could buy a barrel, grind off the threads, or (like the revolver guys), shorten it - i.e. have a reasonable use for it.

Where in the heck do you find the "detailed" laws called out by the "summary". Wow - that would be a heck of a document if hyperlinked to the laws involved... Neverending job - eh?

dachan
02-25-2010, 10:50 AM
Where in the heck do you find the "detailed" laws called out by the "summary"?

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/

or in PDF format:

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/dwc.pdf

orangeusa
02-25-2010, 11:08 AM
Thanks - above and beyond the call of duty!! :)