PDA

View Full Version : Feel unsafe at range?

jt1911
02-24-2010, 5:21 PM
I didn't want to name names regarding what indoor range I'm talking about but I've been going to this range near my house because they charge a cheap flat fee for lane time, have a lot lanes, so waiting is never too bad of an issue, and have good prices for ammo. Plus the staff is always courteous. But almost every time I go there, I have my head on a swivel, generally feeling not so safe. There are a lot of people and maybe one RO who comes in from time to time. There are a lot of folks who are there just renting, so who knows how well they know their way around a gun and are familiar with gun safety. I see a lot of date scenarios. A guy renting a gun with his date and shooting a heavier caliber. So most of the time the girl is putting on a show of how big and strong the gun is kicking and how afraid she is. Paying more attention to the guy than the gun. And you also get the rif-raff crowd as well. One time some tough looking hombres next to me were trying to unload their rented 9s as fast as they could and pissing the RO off, who with the owner was warning/threatening them. Shooters would ignore and shoot fast. RO and owner would yell and threaten. Dudes would get more pissed and respond with pleasant words. I was right in the next lane and wasn't quite sure if a situation was going to happen. Not pleasant. Is this par for the course at public ranges or do you folks go to more exclusive ranges that have higher rates to ensure safety? There's another range near my place that charges the same rate as the flat rate at the cheaper range but does so each hour. So it would more than double the rate of the other place for the time I go and it is also much smaller, so no guarantee on how long you have to wait. But they only get, for the most part, folks who are familiar with firearms. Anybody else go through this dilemma?

Rekrab
02-24-2010, 5:47 PM
Yikes, never happened where I go.

Greg-Dawg
02-24-2010, 5:48 PM
I go to the range for one reason only: to shoot.

I don't care anything outside of that.

If you see any unsafe gun handling, inform the Range Nazi.

Teddy
02-24-2010, 5:49 PM
..well, not to the level of having thugs throwing rounds down range as fast as they can pull the trigger yelling at the RO.....but....

Last time I was out at the local indoor range, there were a few guys that were shooting and saying things (very loud....probably not used to wearing ear protection) like "damm, that M-Fer isn't making it off the block" & "this ***** is dead as a m-fer"....younger looking guys, probably not much gun experience or respect (obviously)....but it did give me a bit of a strange feeling while I was trying to mind my own business.

They were not rapid firing and were following the "one shot per second" rule, so they had that going for them....but I think I understand where you are coming from. If I heard an argument like you did, I would have packed up, left, and not gone back....at least not until they prove that they can control the lanes to make is safe and comfortable for other shooters...makes me feel like a cry-baby, but luckily, a bit more of a drive and there are other options for me to shoot.

Perhaps you are brining up a deeper issue.....how can you really police the range when you just armed aggressive people with ammo and a rental firearm? Is it possible to win that argument with a now armed person that is proving they walked in with no respect for rules/authority?

Baconator
02-24-2010, 5:49 PM
I'm not sure where you are at, but I prefer to shoot out on BLM land for reasons like that. I used to go to a range and there was typically some jerg-off rapid firing a gun they had trouble controlling. Just made me a little too nervous. On the BLM land I see everyone coming and I know where I am and what is going on.

9unknown
02-24-2010, 5:53 PM
Sounds exactly like the range closest to me, In fact I think it may actually be the same one.

Lately I've been going out to the range in the Angeles National forest. Less restrictions on ammo and less weirdo's. Prices aren't too bad, but it is a bit of a drive.

Kerplow
02-24-2010, 6:00 PM
I like your avatar, 9unknown. one of my all time favorite albums.

the only time i have felt unsafe at the range was when some tard next to me with a AR pistol that jammed every other shot was sweeping the entire firing line as he tried to clear the jam.

i would hope that those gangsta types who were ignoring the range staff and rapid firing would get kicked and banned. the range is not a place to break rules even if you dont like em.

CornFedWB
02-24-2010, 6:02 PM
Yikes, sounds like they get some real punks at that range. I was buying ammo in the pro shop at my local range and while I was waiting for some assistance oversaw one of the poor guys teaching a 21-25 year old girl how to use a gun before she rented it (all alone, pink purse and all). She had obviously never held one before. The second he handed it over, the barrel dropped down on the glass case with a "clack!" because she wasnt expecting the heft of the m92. Then she proceeds to muzzle the guy with her finger on the trigger looking at it like a bomb. I was glad I was only picking up ammo... to shoot on private property that is :yes:

9unknown
02-24-2010, 6:04 PM
I like your avatar, 9unknown. one of my all time favorite albums.

yesss! legendary.

f33dback
02-24-2010, 6:05 PM
I know how you feel, but the ones that make me uncomfortable are the guys in the next lane clearing a jam while pointing the gun at my lane instead of down range, they aren't even aware of what they are doing, if you point it out they tend to get pissy.
Idiots + guns = cocky and create "here hold muh beer" accidents.

SCMA-1
02-24-2010, 6:16 PM
What's the point of not naming the range? You would be doing the public a service by alerting your fellow Calgunners to be wary if and when they are at that range. Also, if word gets back to the range management, it would motivate them to do something about it and not let "thugs" take advantage of their lack of policy control before something actually bad happens. Now that you have brought it up, please do the responsible thing and let us know which range is allowing dangerous policy violations and such obstinate behavior.

RedFord150
02-24-2010, 6:37 PM
I have never felt in danger at a range where they charge to use.
I have felt in danger when I used to shoot off Azusa Canyon. I think it was called Pigeon Ridge. I have also been out in the desert where it was legal to shoot. Long time ago. Maybe near Joshua Tree.
Anyway, the sound of ricochets whizzing by and losers with guns convinced me to spend money on range fees.
I agree with SCMA-1. The range needs to control the customers or get them out. List the name, this should motivate them to get their act together.

SJgunguy24
02-24-2010, 6:41 PM
I generally stay to BLM or Metcalf, i've been going to Metcalf for over 10 years and they know me there. If your worried, body armor.

tiko
02-24-2010, 6:50 PM
I go to Lincoln rifle club, so in the weekdays all shooters are members and we know each other, in the weekends they open for public, there go some young couples. I see lots of bullet holes on the roof and beams...

jt1911
02-24-2010, 7:03 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Some good advice and recommendations. I appreciate it.

f33dback, totally with you on that. And if you try to let him know, all of a sudden you're the jerk.

SJgunguy, I actually was seriously considering getting a jacket. Might be time.

As for the place, it is a range in orange county called Insight. It's in Artesia. And I have had good experiences there but now I just tend to go during off hours. A non weekend night for sure. To me it just seems like the range is more focused on sales than safety. Not trying to be a gun snob or anything but they aren't exactly renting out kites.

SCMA-1
02-24-2010, 7:11 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Some good advice and recommendations. I appreciate it.

f33dback, totally with you on that. And if you try to let him know, all of a sudden you're the jerk.

SJgunguy, I actually was seriously considering getting a jacket. Might be time.

As for the place, it is a range in orange county called Insight. It's in Artesia. And I have had good experiences there but now I just tend to go during off hours. A non weekend night for sure. To me it just seems like the range is more focused on sales than safety. Not trying to be a gun snob or anything but they aren't exactly renting out kites.

OK, thanks for the info; it's much appreciated. I pretty much already knew what range you were talking about. It's unfortunate, but I used to spend alot of time there in the past because the previous owners ran a "tight ship" and none of these kinds of things ever happened. I think perhaps some riff raff may have noticed and incrementally tested the new ownership to see what they could get away with; IME, once you let this creeping incrementalism go unchecked, it only gets worse. Once the word gets out that the management is "soft" on policy enforcement, all the riff raff show up to "party" and take advantage of the situation. I hope their management gets wind of this thread and does something to improve the safety of their environment for all their clients.

gorenut
02-24-2010, 7:15 PM
Ya.. I feel you. At the range I go to.. lots of times muzzle discipline is a problem. Since I know the rangemasters, I always try to get myself in a lane where there aren't too many other people near me.

Gh0sT
02-24-2010, 7:16 PM
It is really fun to watch the current lineup between the bulletproof glass. It takes less than 5 minutes to completely figure out which lane has questionable firearms knowledge.

My favorite scene is the group of college kids. Individual at the shooting lane, loads mag, loads chamber. Two handed, sometimes one handed, turns around to the group behind. Firearm slowly turns the way his/her body is twisting.

I will never shoot indoors, unless someone is paying for my time.

My-AK47
02-24-2010, 7:30 PM
I am always aware of my surroundings at range time. Inexperienced yahoo's go to the range and rent a gun not sure of what to do when it jams etc.... I have seen this happen often, and they will even look down the barrell of a loaded gun or point it at the guy next to him not even thinking what the hell he was doing. So my $0.02 about this is you should always be aware....

boredin818
02-24-2010, 7:52 PM
When I'm in the valley I go to The Target Range in Van Nuys....Run by ex cops and they do NOT take **** from anyone.

When I'm in OC I like Evan's Gunsmithing... Former Marines who do not put up with garbage either.

Bill Carson
02-24-2010, 8:02 PM
Insight in Artesia is in L.A county. I knew that was the range you were talking about. Sometimes it is all good in there, usually in the day time. Night time is a whole different thing. It is straight up gangsta, lots of rentals from people who cannot afford guns or cannot obtain one legally. Lot's of **** talking. I told a guy to shut up once while I was shooting. He just kept on talking. I usually bring my 40 cal & 45 cal glocks. I never have an empty magazine, one of the guns is ready to rock n roll at all times while I am reloading.

jc0311
02-24-2010, 8:08 PM
I stop going there, I got to La Puente firing range or Orange shooting range in Brea, usually during daytime hours. Insight attracts too many knuckelheads from the surrounding areas. La Puente and Orange seem to run a tighter ship.

Bill Carson
02-24-2010, 8:15 PM
Yeah I like that range in Brea.

jt1911
02-24-2010, 8:55 PM
I guess from other members I'm not the only one who is noticing it. Too bad to hear about management allowing this element to get established. Ruined a nice range.

Jc and Bill thanks for the recommendations. I'll be sure to check them out.

Snake eyes
02-24-2010, 9:17 PM
At a public range, denial is your friend.

Even if the other shooters appear and act normal/safe, there's always the chance you won't make it home. After all, you're in the presence of people shooting guns, handling guns, ect. And whenever loaded guns are around, "people" can be downright dangerous, even if they don't intend to be. Sometimes it's best to just not think about it.

Of course it's no different than driving on public streets/freeways, you never know if you're not gonna make it home. In fact, you're probably more likely to get killed in a car accident on the way to the range as get shot by accident at the range

Such is life.

However, if someone at the range gives me a bad "vibe", I'll turn around and go home. Hopefully I make it.

Trust your gut.

Ultimate
02-24-2010, 9:17 PM
I've only shot on BLM Land mostly because of the expense associated with paying for range time, and would hate to be in that kind of situation. Maybe ranges should have concrete dividers between each station with individual doors to each. I think the experience would be much improved.

Scratch705
02-24-2010, 9:26 PM
hmmm.... glad my experience wasn't bad at insight.

i like them only b/c of the flat fee for gun rentals as i am still in process of picking out what handgun suits me and at any other range it would have costed me triple of what i spent at insight.

what time was this happening at? cause i went early in the morning. like right as they opened. on a saturday.

five.five-six
02-24-2010, 9:29 PM
say what you will about evan's but that sort of c-rap does not happen there

SCMA-1
02-24-2010, 9:35 PM
All is not lost; it's still a nice range and with some judicious enforcement of policy, it can still be a nice and safe range for all it's patrons. I can kind of see why this has happened. The new owner is a young (and fairly quiet) Asian guy. Sometimes he is not even there; there have been times I've been there where only the elderly gentleman (his father) is running the counter (and perhaps one other employee), and his English isn't strong. There is also another family member I've noticed who works behind the counter, a small and very young female. Although there are other employees at different times, this kind of management/staffing could be perceived as a lack of "command presence" which may encourage belligerent/reckless behavior in some.

Although I'm not sure how it has been lately, but this reminds me of a time when Magic Mountain in Valencia used to draw a certain undesirable crowd because their lawless and belligerent behavior was tolerated to some degree by the management of the theme park.

I encourage others to post their experiences here; at some point I'd like to draw the owner's attention to this thread for his examination.

Scratch705
02-24-2010, 9:38 PM
i wonder if my experience wasn't as bad as the others b/c i went on a day where the owner, the female and the elder were all there, plus their employee, a white guy that was also a glock armorer. he kept his presence known by walking onto the range every few minutes to sweep brass and just to show that they are there watching.

Ranger20
02-24-2010, 9:45 PM
The indoor range I go to will warn you once and 2nd time mostly your out... Give em any LIP... and you get blacklisted with your name on the wall of shame never to be allowed to shoot there again.
Good group of guys work there... They do a good job keeping the peace but there is always some knuclehead testing the limits.

Funny thing is a high majority of those on the blacklist are ... Yup Cops.

Perhaps it's an attitude thing. You know taking direction.. :D

f33dback
02-24-2010, 9:52 PM
I find that hard to believe for 2 reasons, one is they have their own range, the second is most "cops" I have had to deal don't seem eager to draw their weapons.

The indoor range I go to will warn you once and 2nd time mostly your out... Give em any LIP... and you get blacklisted with your name on the wall of shame never to be allowed to shoot there again.
Good group of guys work there... They do a good job keeping the peace but there is always some knuclehead testing the limits.

Funny thing is a high majority of those on the blacklist are ... Yup Cops.

Perhaps it's an attitude thing. You know taking direction.. :D

Turo
02-24-2010, 9:58 PM
Happily I've never had to deal with this at my local ranges. (pretty much all upper-middle class here in SLO, not many 'banger types) I do have to help out some people I go with with muzzle control every once in a while though. Even my dad, who taught me everything about shooting and safety has to be corrected from time to time.
The biggest concern I have at one range I go to, is people setting down guns pointing down the line of shooters rather than down range. I usually mention it to them politely as in: "hey, you may want to point that downrange, I wouldn't want the RO to yell at you." It usually works better than telling them to move it, threat of embarrassment is more important to people than safety in some cases.

Bill Carson
02-24-2010, 9:58 PM
Yeah the white guy that is the Glock armorer is a good guy. No bad experiences there during the daytime, especially not saturday mornings, ganagbangers do not get up that early. I only say gangbangers cus of the way the act, dress and talk and all the gun renting. I mean really, 4 guys rent one gun. After dark is just like on the streets of L.A., not so safe.

SCMA-1
02-24-2010, 9:59 PM
i wonder if my experience wasn't as bad as the others b/c i went on a day where the owner, the female and the elder were all there, plus their employee, a white guy that was also a glock armorer. he kept his presence known by walking onto the range every few minutes to sweep brass and just to show that they are there watching.

I'm sure the unruly wanna be gang banger incidents are not a regular occurrence, but the danger is that business establishments that gain a reputation for lax policy enforcement may tend to attract these undesirable types. The few times I've been there recently at peak hours (weekends and weekend evenings), I personally didn't notice anything of that nature, but did witness the usual "date night" couples with the incompetent/unsafe boyfriend types attempting to impress their dates at the expense of safe firearms handling protocol.

7.62x54R
02-24-2010, 10:10 PM
Just by reading your post I knew it was Insight range. I have encountered such behavior there before. I haven't felt unsafe per say but I wish a little more safety was taken by some shooters there.

Anothercoilgun
02-24-2010, 10:11 PM
No dilemma for me. Feel at home at my range. I drive 28 miles to get their if I do not go directly from work on friday which is 8 miles away from range. I am but 5 miles from LAX. I choose rather to drive the 28 miles then 5 miles to LAX.

See no dilemma at all. Choose wisely.

Ranger20
02-24-2010, 10:17 PM
I find that hard to believe for 2 reasons, one is they have their own range, the second is most "cops" I have had to deal don't seem eager to draw their weapons.

Regardless what you may think... It's still true... unless the guys at the range are not telling the truth.

PM me and I will tell you the range and you can drop by or call them and see for yourself.

Remember LEOs don't always practice for their quals at their ranges.

PS. I prefer like a lot of folks to practice on BLM Land.... It's more fun to shoot outdoors and at targets that give you feedback like bottles of water, spinners and clay pigeons.

Malmon
02-24-2010, 10:31 PM
I had a feeling the OP was referring to Insight. I go there on a regular basis and always keep a loaded pistol on standby. I encountered a few 'cholos' there and seems like the range is not really well-controlled. I was a regular there years ago when they used to have water streaming down the backstop, now the present owners replaced everything with rubber. :mad:

Bird of Fire
02-24-2010, 10:34 PM
This is why I love getting off work in the middle of the afternoon on Fridays. I can go to the local public indoor range and have it all to myself. Not a soul around to bother me.

True bliss is loading up my pickup truck, a bunch of rounds, targets, bottled water, and a snack and going out to my BLM shooting spot on the weekends. Not a soul around me for miles. Nobody bothers me, I don't bother anyone and I get to enjoy the outdoors for hours at a time. Nice and peaceful. :D

For what it's worth, it's almost always noobies who don't understand to always point the gun downrange, or finger off the trigger, etc etc. The thugs that I've ran into at the range are all usually safe in that regard. Can't hit jack crap for a group on paper, but safe regardless.

boredin818
02-24-2010, 10:53 PM

Evans is great!

m98
02-25-2010, 12:48 AM
A few years back while I was at an outdoor rifle range, some homebres decided to put 1 round down range while people were checking out their targets. The round zipped passed these 2 fellas and missed em just by 10ft or so. A shootout almost incurred right after that between all of the fellas at the target. "YOU M***f*****R, get the F**** out of here".....I was a few benches down, and I was ready to act fast if things got bad and the adrenaline.......Lucky, the idiots packed up and left. This range that I was at had no RO's. Everytime I go there, I'm always cautious of the Noobs&Morons&Thugs that shows up to shoot.

Fobanginvtek
02-25-2010, 12:54 AM
Bureau Canyon is a great outdoor range IMO. Not so crowded when I go, staff is cool.

CnCFunFactory
02-25-2010, 1:10 AM
Sounds like the indoor range in Burbank. Went once, never again.

Critter
02-25-2010, 1:11 AM
Sounds like LAX

minuteman
02-25-2010, 1:36 AM
If someone is being unsafe they should be banned instead of you going into exile. If that place lets them return after repeated problems then it's another story.

Treb5
02-25-2010, 5:20 AM
Was at my local range a few months back when a father came in with his 12/13 year old daughter.

He was shooting a pistol and she a 22 Cal rifle. Everytime he shot she would step back holding the rifle at waist level and sweep the entire range repeatedly.

I mentioned this to the father once and then packed up and left. I also mentioned it to range employees who monitor the range via video only.

I have seen other examples of poor safety practices as mentioned in the earlier posts. I pretty much just wrap up and leave. Better safe than sorry...

benelli shooter
02-25-2010, 5:31 AM
I hate indoor ranges. Kids showing off with their girlfriends are the worst. It is amazing that more people are not killed at indoor ranges.

Next time you go, when you are just about ready to fire, look up. You will see holes right above your head. Scary.

thefurball
02-25-2010, 5:57 AM
I used to live on the island of Guam. A couple of the ranges there catered to Japanese tourists that had never seen an actual firearm let alone shot one.

They actually had wire cables in each lane running from wall to wall through the trigger guard of the guns in an effort to keep the end with the hole more or less pointed down range.

While I was there one Japanese gentleman still managed to shoot his buddy in the bum.

Now I shoot almost exclusively on BLM land.

cineski
02-25-2010, 7:52 AM
I'm actually impressed w/ LAX and am surprised to see a few comments toward them here. They do get crap people, but they get kicked out quickly (witnessed this once). Angeles is the best range I've been to, and Downtown LA range is the worst. I've never been shooting at Sharpshooters, but the several times I've been there has seemed like a good place to shoot.

SCMA-1
02-25-2010, 8:04 AM
I'm actually impressed w/ LAX and am surprised to see a few comments toward them here. They do get crap people, but they get kicked out quickly (witnessed this once). Angeles is the best range I've been to, and Downtown LA range is the worst. I've never been shooting at Sharpshooters, but the several times I've been there has seemed like a good place to shoot.

LAX is a good operation particularly considering the area they are in. I live very close by but generally will drive down to Sharpshooter instead primarily because it has much more parking, the neighborhood is less high strung and the management is very relaxed; all this makes for a more pleasant experience.

Extreme Z28
02-25-2010, 8:13 AM
I used to live near LAX range and never liked it. Sharpshooters on the other hand is a very cool range, never had a problem there with management or patrons (they also let me shoot 00 buck!)

BillPear
02-25-2010, 8:16 AM
I've been shooting at the OC Sheriffs range lately. I can't imagine them putting up with any crap there. FWIW it may be the nicest and cheapest range I've ever been to also.

polojeff
02-25-2010, 8:20 AM
The Gun Room, up in sacramento is pretty squared away. I think it might be the one that Ranger20 was talking about. They tend to kick people out after one warning and don't take crap from anyone. In my opinion, it's a good way to do it, not scary in the slightest.

iareConfusE
02-25-2010, 8:24 AM
When I used to live in the Bay Area I would go to Target Masters, and the few times I've been there everything seemed to go pretty well, but I have heard horror stories and I have no trouble imagining the types of people that range could attract (It being in Milpitas and all).

I went to On-Target earlier this week on Monday, and I feel extremely safe there, especially since I went early afternoon on a weekday. Lots of RSO's, an the only people that came to shoot were people that owned guns. Not a single rental out the entire 2 hours I was there. Of course I can't count on this being the case all the time I'm there, so I'll see what happens this Saturday when I go back with a few friends.

Black Majik
02-25-2010, 8:39 AM

Of course not. Insight wouldn't have problems either if they didn't have any customers too. :D

socalshooting
02-25-2010, 8:44 AM
I've been shooting at the OC Sheriffs range lately. I can't imagine them putting up with any crap there. FWIW it may be the nicest and cheapest range I've ever been to also.

I'll second that. Came there once with gf and they're pretty big on safety. They inspected my weapons before letting me on but very courteous. No problems here though it's only open for half the week and close pretty early. Free targets and low price is pretty attractive though. It IS considered outdoors so if it rains, no shooting.

nmerced
02-25-2010, 8:52 AM
.... Kids showing off with their girlfriends are the worst. It is amazing that more people are not killed at indoor ranges.

Next time you go, when you are just about ready to fire, look up. You will see holes right above your head. Scary.

+1

Holes on the lane divider, now that's SCARY.

When a show boater goes to a lane beside me, either I move far away from these yahoos if there are other lanes available or just call it a day and leave. :rolleyes:

9unknown
02-25-2010, 9:04 AM
It is really fun to watch the current lineup between the bulletproof glass. It takes less than 5 minutes to completely figure out which lane has questionable firearms knowledge.

My favorite scene is the group of college kids. Individual at the shooting lane, loads mag, loads chamber. Two handed, sometimes one handed, turns around to the group behind. Firearm slowly turns the way his/her body is twisting.

I will never shoot indoors, unless someone is paying for my time.

my favorite is the guy on a date with his girlfriend that slaps the magazine in without chambering a round and wonders why nothing happens when he pulls the trigger. He looks to his girlfriend and says "man this gun is jammed, what a piece of junk" then proceeds to call the rangemaster to switch rental guns... true story. I was right there watching the whole thing go down. Sure i probably could've offered some advice... but it was much more entertaining to watch him looking like a complete tool in front of his girl.

I'm mean.

socalshooting
02-25-2010, 9:52 AM
One guy next to me at insight didn't know how to eject the brass out of a revolver so he started to pry at them. That didn't work so he started banging the revolver on the counter repeatedly (even though that doesn't really help). Since all the counters are connected at insight, he almost knocked my ammo and magazines over. I put up with it for a few minutes but couldn't take it anymore and went over to square him away on how to push the ejector rod, right in front of his girl. I like insight and frequent them for their selection of rentals when I'm in the market but it scares me that the range owner/RSOs are just handing these weapons to people that don't even know how to use them.

He actually thanked me for it but left soon after he finished that box of ammo. I think he was too embarrassed and intimidated to stay because he wasn't hitting stuff on his target. I wasn't even trying to be a dick and wouldn't hesitate to help out someone in need because that's what I do. Usually I just mind my own business.

One time at insight, this guy rented a Smith 686 with underpowered 357 loads that the range has. He fires a couple of rounds at about 5 yards and then scratches his head because the target is still brand new.

Then there's the other type that turns around everytime they shoot one round off just to get confirmation from their buddies. You see a lot of this stuff on youtube videos too. I don't have a problem with it except some times they like to rotate their whole body with gun in hand. Carelessness scares me.

wilafur
02-25-2010, 9:58 AM
agreed, went to la gun club once and will never return. that place scares the sh*t out of me with all the thugs rapid firing their rented guns sideways and sweeping the room nonchalantly.

that being said, i'm a big fan of on target in OC. too bad i live in LA.......but whenever i visit my sister in irvine, i leave a bit earlier and hit up on target beforehand.

......and Downtown LA range is the worst. I

9unknown
02-25-2010, 10:16 AM
agreed, went to la gun club once and will never return. that place scares the sh*t out of me with all the thugs rapid firing their rented guns sideways and sweeping the room nonchalantly.

I was there once and they were filming a dating show (LAME). I guess they got me on film purchasing ammo, and wanted me to sign a waver of some sort. I just laughed.

bodger
02-25-2010, 10:24 AM
I don't shoot at indoor ranges anymore at all. I go to A Place To Shoot in Saugus. It's the only range where I feel safe, and I go on weekdays early, usually not much of a crowd. Good folks out there and good range discipline, at least the times I've been there.

I've been muzzle swept once too often at the indoors.

CornFedWB
02-25-2010, 10:39 AM
I actually quit shooting with a bud who decided shooting past me with his 10/22 was acceptable. Needless to say we dont shoot together anymore, kinda wierd hearing it from the muzzle end. Sounds like more of a whip crack. He also likes to take TVs and trash out on BLM land shoot it up and leave it.

k1dude
02-25-2010, 10:55 AM
I'm not sure where you are at, but I prefer to shoot out on BLM land for reasons like that. I used to go to a range and there was typically some jerg-off rapid firing a gun they had trouble controlling. Just made me a little too nervous. On the BLM land I see everyone coming and I know where I am and what is going on.

I've been very nervous on BLM land. Once at an unpoliced outdoor range, a rough and suspicious looking group came up to shoot. We were the only humans within 15 miles in the middle of nowhere. They never went downrange to set up any targets, and were far too curious about what weapons my friend and I had. They never spoke to us despite our attempts to be friendly, but seemed more interested in our guns than shooting. They were basically shooting at the dirt. When we signalled a stop to go downrange a couple times, they never once went to set up targets or check at whatever dirt they were shooting at.

We were nervous enough that we strapped on holsters/handguns and carried a loaded rifle with us each time we went to check our targets. They just stayed back and eyed us and our weapons table. We had eyes in the back of our heads that day.

It was just getting too weird, so we packed up and left. I wonder if staying armed downrange kept us safe that day.

orangeusa
02-25-2010, 11:07 AM
I 2nd the Evan's post. But is a very small place, but the range officer actually WATCHES.

OnTarget, Irvine - seems to have support here. I had serveral BAD experiences there (early last year) - reported it, got no response. Weekends - lots of kids 3-4 to a lane blasting the ceiling, target holder. Had an old fart fan me with his 1911... I finally thought - the RO's gotta quit standing behind the counter, showing guns. I went back and really gave them my views. I'd like to think it helped. In their defense, it's inherent at in-door ranges...

Symptoms which give me pause : Anybody giggling after a shot... Multiple students per lane, multiple old white guys w/ pastel shorts, dudes showing off to GF. Swiss cheese ceilings in range area or in stall area!!

caoboy
02-25-2010, 11:23 AM
Symptoms which give me pause : Anybody giggling after a shot...

What, you never giggle after a shot? :D

orangeusa
02-25-2010, 11:25 AM
Sometimes, but don't have 3 fanboys behind me!!! You know what I mean!!! :)

Edit : Your signature made me giggle !!

RedFord150
02-25-2010, 11:54 AM

Do the employees carry holstered weapons? If not, they should. A 'no-nonse' attitude with a decent sized weapon in a holster makes all the difference. Well, except for the senior citizen and the teenage girl...

garuda7
02-25-2010, 12:12 PM
Hey, jt, I just read your post about feeling unsafe at the range. While I was reading your post I was thinking, "Man this place sounds just like Insight." I wasn't too shocked when I found out that it was indeed the same range I frequent. I am going to have to agree with you about not feeling safe there sometimes. I once saw some idiot with a rental .45 waving it around in confusion after he had a ftf, pointing it right at me and my friend who were sitting on the bench! As you can imagine we were pretty pissed off, but the RO's all seemed to occupied to notice all the reckless **** that goes down there on busy days. If you can, try going as soon as the open in the morning. I usually get all my shooting done with only about 2 or 3 other shooters on the lanes.

Rekrab
02-25-2010, 12:12 PM
I giggle every time I shoot my Desert Eagle. I hope I don't make you feel uncomfortable. :)

stix213
02-25-2010, 12:32 PM
I like the "rapid fire" rules at the indoor range I go to. You can shoot as fast as you want AS LONG AS YOU CAN HIT THE PAPER WITH EVERY SHOT.

Though gun renters do concern me. I kinda wish those little partitions between the lanes were made of 2" steel plates. I think its far more likely an accident would occur when a novice is either reloading or trying to clear a jam since they may not have the gun aimed down range.

I've noticed that people who rent guns are far less likely to own them themselves, so naturally they would at least be less experienced.

bondmid003
02-25-2010, 1:28 PM
I keep my head on a swivel everytime I go to the range near me in San Diego. They will rent a gun to pretty much anybody. That and they've had a ND in the last year

orangeusa
02-25-2010, 1:29 PM
And I wish there was not a bench, where the dummies sit behind me. :)

All pardons to those dummies who fan me, but your hobby is getting old.
Especially when you are loading your mags away from the lane - I hate that.... Even tho, I think it's a range violation....

f33dback
02-25-2010, 1:56 PM
Yeah I've been there they have a "maturity check" at the counter.
I've heard good things about the Rancho Cordova (outdoor) range.
I had a post about where some good places to go on BLM around Sacramento, not to many responses, I guess if you find a good place you don't want anyone else to know =)
The Gun Room, up in sacramento is pretty squared away. I think it might be the one that Ranger20 was talking about. They tend to kick people out after one warning and don't take crap from anyone. In my opinion, it's a good way to do it, not scary in the slightest.

Scratch705
02-25-2010, 1:57 PM
Do the employees carry holstered weapons? If not, they should. A 'no-nonse' attitude with a decent sized weapon in a holster makes all the difference. Well, except for the senior citizen and the teenage girl...

the employee was holstered with his glock.

as for some animosity with renters that some have.... i can only say this, each time someone new here asks for help with handgun choices, everyone always say go rent it at a range. but then some of those same people "blast" renters at their range for being inexperienced. you can't have it both.

kinda like those buying cars. some would do tons of research before buying, and others just show up to the dealership and buy it. the same goes for handguns. some do research and others just show up at the range to shoot.

maybe if ranges mandate that all new(at least to the range) do a 1 hr supervised shooting session it can cut down on the dangers of the range. but until that happens... being swept or having to deal with a sometimes unsafe shooter next to you will always happen.

orangeusa
02-25-2010, 3:18 PM
It's like an appreticeship. You go with someone experienced. It's more fun, less threatening... whatever.. Just my opinion.

And forcing the ranges to do a course is gonna cost $50 and be ANOTHER law we don't like... :)

Bray556
02-25-2010, 3:37 PM
Yeah, every drive home from the range always includes a small prayer of thanks that I left with the same amount of holes as I was born with.

I see tooooo many vatos locos at outdoor ranges and too many "Stoners Reeking Havok" stickers on lifted trucks at indoor range parking lots.

I had a dude in the lane next to me with a Mini-30, stock sawn-off, firing rapidly at Burro Canyon. "Uhhhh... Can we take a range break, like, now?"

Burnout
02-25-2010, 3:49 PM

yeah, this place does get a bit crazy on the weekends. Bunch of kids and I am not 100% sure if some of them are sober.

Donk310
02-25-2010, 3:52 PM
That there is "thee" reason I don't go to the indoor rental ranges anymore. That and the fact that there is a barrier between the lanes that doesn't allow me to see the next guy/gal.

SCMA-1
02-25-2010, 5:07 PM
Yeah, every drive home from the range always includes a small prayer of thanks that I left with the same amount of holes as I was born with.

I see tooooo many vatos locos at outdoor ranges and too many "Stoners Reeking Havok" stickers on lifted trucks at indoor range parking lots.

I had a dude in the lane next to me with a Mini-30, stock sawn-off, firing rapidly at Burro Canyon. "Uhhhh... Can we take a range break, like, now?"

Burro Canyon..........never mind the indoor ranges 'cause that place is something else altogether. I refuse to use the public ranges there; I'll only go there to use the private ranges.

BillPear
02-25-2010, 5:15 PM
And I wish there was not a bench, where the dummies sit behind me. :)

All pardons to those dummies who fan me, but your hobby is getting old.
Especially when you are loading your mags away from the lane - I hate that.... Even tho, I think it's a range violation....

Try the OC Sheriffs range if you can get there while there open, my Wife agrees with me that, that's the best place she's ever been.

We also like the Firing line in HB they dont seem to put up with any crap, but a little pricey compared to the Sherriffs.

orangeusa
02-25-2010, 5:53 PM
Thanks - I never thought they were open to the public - and very close and convenient for me!
And I like the idea that LEO's go there. Evans has a lot of training, and I think that keeps some of the yahoos out.
But Evan's is a bit expensive for an indoor for a year membership... and a bit small.

The Sheriff's range is outdoor correct?

SoCalJ
02-25-2010, 5:56 PM
Out of the last eight times I've been to the range I've been swept five of those times. That or some kind of knuclehead shows up. Makes me not want to go back.
I started going to the legal area in the San Bernardino Mtns. but that got closed because of the rains.
Where are these BLM areas? I wouldn't mind driving two or three hours if I can be by away from other shooters.

orangeusa
02-25-2010, 5:58 PM
Those are dangerous odds. I was complaining about 2 'big' events in almost a year. Yikes...

SoCalJ
02-25-2010, 6:16 PM
Yeah, I finally figured out it's best to be on the far right side. :D

SCMA-1
02-25-2010, 6:36 PM
Out of the last eight times I've been to the range I've been swept five of those times. That or some kind of knuclehead shows up. Makes me not want to go back.
I started going to the legal area in the San Bernardino Mtns. but that got closed because of the rains.
Where are these BLM areas? I wouldn't mind driving two or three hours if I can be by away from other shooters.

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/barstow/recshoot.html

Map:

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medialib/blm/ca/pdf/Barstow.Par.78735.File.dat/BFO_shotgunarea_8x11.pdf

You need to get past 58 when going up the 395 to be outside of the "shotgun only" area. The Cuddeback Dry Lake Beds are a good spot. Up the 15, I think people shoot on the west side of Hodge Rd.

CharAznable
02-25-2010, 6:58 PM
Any good NorCal BLM spots? Either Bay Area (maybe central coast-ish) or Central Valley (Stockton on north)?

SoCalJ
02-25-2010, 7:00 PM
Thanks!

Can't wait to check it out.

MoBait
02-25-2010, 7:02 PM
I used to go to an indoor range in San Diego during the mornings on weekdays, but with my current work schedule I can only go on weekends. Once there was a group of three guys, looked like your standard issue UCSD students. They had rented a couple glocks and had decided to pose for a photo. Two of them were holding the weapons and the other snapping photos. I was trying to keep my eye on my buddy while he was shooting, being his first time out, but i noticed the guys pointing the weapons at one another with fingers inside the trigger guard for a photo. I saw the triggers were in the 'ready to fire' position and i would be in the path of a FMJ bullet exiting the brain of one of the guys. So I told my friend to put the gun down so I could have a word with these idiots. I went over and told them that the weapons must be pointed down range. When they put the guns down I checked the loaded chamber indicator and sure enough, both firearms were ready to fire. I told them that I don't care if they blow each others brains out as long as the muzzle is pointed down range. They got the idea and left after finishing their box. We were the only ones on the range at the time.

I used to go every other week but after this incident (which i would not have noticed had I been alone) I started thinking, how many close calls have I been involved in without noticing. Haven't been back for about two months now.

I would really like to go shooting on BLM, where one can actually train doing run 'n guns, and see how he or she performs under stress and different firing positions. If anyone cares to share an area nearby San Diego that is accessible by rear wheel drive crown vic type vehicle and is safe, I would greatly appreciate it.

DaveFJ80
02-25-2010, 7:06 PM
When I was reading the original post, I was thinking of LAGC in downtown. I usually go there when they open in the afternoon on a week day (go there during my lunch hour) and there's maybe only 1-2 other lanes being used at that time. I only go there because it's the only convenient range nearby that allows shotgun. But on the weekends... forget about it! They seriously let any yahoo in there to shoot and then it's scary there.

I stop going there, I got to La Puente firing range or Orange shooting range in Brea, usually during daytime hours. Insight attracts too many knuckelheads from the surrounding areas. La Puente and Orange seem to run a tighter ship.

Now that I live out in that area, I was going to check out the rage in Brea. La Puente is closer to me, but from what I saw it's pretty expensive to shoot there.

socalshooting
02-25-2010, 7:51 PM
Thanks - I never thought they were open to the public - and very close and convenient for me!
And I like the idea that LEO's go there. Evans has a lot of training, and I think that keeps some of the yahoos out.
But Evan's is a bit expensive for an indoor for a year membership... and a bit small.

The Sheriff's range is outdoor correct?

Technically yes. It's like any other indoor range but the side you are shooting on is covered by a roof and the side the targets rest on is only partially covered...as in you can see the sky.

jt1911
02-25-2010, 9:41 PM
I giggle every time I shoot my Desert Eagle. I hope I don't make you feel uncomfortable. :)

I think a full grown man who is giggling while holding a hand cannon would make anyone uncomfortable. :D

I've been very nervous on BLM land. Once at an unpoliced outdoor range, a rough and suspicious looking group came up to shoot. We were the only humans within 15 miles in the middle of nowhere. They never went downrange to set up any targets, and were far too curious about what weapons my friend and I had. They never spoke to us despite our attempts to be friendly, but seemed more interested in our guns than shooting. They were basically shooting at the dirt. When we signalled a stop to go downrange a couple times, they never once went to set up targets or check at whatever dirt they were shooting at.

We were nervous enough that we strapped on holsters/handguns and carried a loaded rifle with us each time we went to check our targets. They just stayed back and eyed us and our weapons table. We had eyes in the back of our heads that day.

It was just getting too weird, so we packed up and left. I wonder if staying armed downrange kept us safe that day.

That quasi-deliverance scenario scares the crap out of me. :eek:

garuda, good to know the word is getting out. Maybe it will find its way back to management before something happens much worse than responsible shooters finding lanes elsewhere.

gamma105
02-25-2010, 9:48 PM
when I read the initial post, I was going to guess Insight lol it seems like it's happening more often than before, where you see guys taking their gf/dates and show off. oh man, a few months ago, 2 guys came in with their pistols wrapped with NEWSPAPER!!! and before one of the guys emptied the mag, he pointed the muzzle at his head and looking straight into the barrel for no apparent reason, that's when I took a break, walked out and waited until they finished. I try to go when they open, usually not that many people.

m98
02-25-2010, 11:06 PM

Your senses were probably right on target and packing heat while downranged DID most likely deterred one of the Worst Thing that can ever happen to anybody. Were those thugs whispering/speaking in another language between themselves? I've had a similar incident at one of our outdoor, unmanaged ranges as well. I was by myself so I never left to check my targets until a Few other "friendly" looking fellas showed up to shoot. The 'group' that was there never went to set targets and was just shooting at random targets.

ancora
02-26-2010, 7:53 AM
That's why I joined a "members only" NRA sponsored outdoor range 19 years ago. It ain't cheap, but well worth the money. Have not had one bad experience. Rainbow Range, Rainbow, CA.

Ranger20
02-26-2010, 8:14 AM
Yeah I've been there they have a "maturity check" at the counter.
I've heard good things about the Rancho Cordova (outdoor) range.
I had a post about where some good places to go on BLM around Sacramento, not to many responses, I guess if you find a good place you don't want anyone else to know =)

The GUNROOM guys do a good job keeping the place safe but you always need to be on guard when firearms are about no matter what range or place you are shooting at.

Another good place to shoot here in the sacramento area is the SAC Valley.

Here is a link. http://www.sacvalley.org/SacVal/index.html
Well organized and they dont take anyones c-rap either. A safe professional place to enjoy our sport outdoors without having to make that long drive to the BLM land.

Sac Valley does not rent guns which I think is a plus. You don't get a bunch of Punk Homeboys with their pants on the ground... trying to act all gangsta with their rented 40... If that offends anyone... to bad.... it's the sad truth often at rental ranges. Hence part of the dialog here on this thread.

gorenut
02-26-2010, 8:36 AM
Try the OC Sheriffs range if you can get there while there open, my Wife agrees with me that, that's the best place she's ever been.

We also like the Firing line in HB they dont seem to put up with any crap, but a little pricey compared to the Sherriffs.

I'll have to check out OC Sheriffs.

I go to Firing Line in HB as well. Great group of guys there. I was surprised to see some bad reviews on them though when you google them up. I think its mostly because people got their feelings hurt. The range operators are pretty stern with the knuckleheads that come into the range.

ponderosa
02-26-2010, 8:43 AM
Your senses were probably right on target and packing heat while downranged DID most likely deterred one of the Worst Thing that can ever happen to anybody. Were those thugs whispering/speaking in another language between themselves? I've had a similar incident at one of our outdoor, unmanaged ranges as well. I was by myself so I never left to check my targets until a Few other "friendly" looking fellas showed up to shoot. The 'group' that was there never went to set targets and was just shooting at random targets.

I always carry on my hip when "out there"...
and always go nat'l forest/blm to shoot.

coltn46920
02-26-2010, 9:16 AM
In my experience at gun ranges, young people with firearms equals cocky idiots. Regardless of race. If they're in a group multiply their stupidity by 2 for each added individual.

coltn46920
02-26-2010, 9:22 AM

If ammo weren't so expensive I would be giggling too.

Rekrab
02-26-2010, 10:09 AM
Ah, I forgot about this one.

The last time I was at the range some woman brought a rented .22 with one in the chamber out to the front desk. It was really crowded that day too. :eek: Glad nothing happened. When confronted about it, she acted like it was the range's fault. /facepalm

ca1903
02-26-2010, 10:10 AM
Ya, I always swivel my head to check out other shooters at the range. Now I shoot mainly in the club's outdoor range and the situation is much better. Besides range master, we also have 2 or more range safety officers to enforce the rules. Many members had military service experience (lucky me included) who have no hesitation to enforce the rule/discipline. Of course, we know we don't need to be the drill sergeant all the time. Once as the RSO, one guy complimented me that I was the most considerate RSO he experienced: enforcing the rule fully while keep the shooters at ease!

In the other range, I had to be sure my back and sides are covered by swiveling my head for unsafe behavior of other shooters!

dirtnap
02-26-2010, 10:16 AM
Avoid the rush and you wont have to worry about it. I shoot late at night, on off days. I'm usually the only person on the range and generally free to do what I want. They get a little iffy when I start running failure/reload drills and draw from the holster but at least I'm alone so there is nobody else to worry about...

Satex
02-26-2010, 10:16 AM
Anybody else go through this dilemma?

If I don't feel safe at a range, I quit going there - it's that simple.

orangeusa
02-26-2010, 10:21 AM
Also, when a fool notices you eyeing him, they usually settle down.

Don't forget the senior citizens (god I'm almost one!!) - the scariest was this deaf and blind guy sweeping w/ his 1911. I was literally jumping out of the way - waving at him.. Tard. Hammer back, finger on trigger, had to assume loaded, and I don't trust safetys... Scared the bejebus out of me.. I was shaking.. I'm okay, but it made me a believer.. And sounds like it happens everywhere....

sliverflinger
02-26-2010, 10:30 AM
One of the joys of living in the empty corridor is that five miles in any direction is a range. Hell if I wasn't a fat old man , I could walk to my Pronghorn hunting area. I do know what you guys a talking about with indoor ranges. A while we went to the nearest one (125 miles one way) to check out carry pistols for my wife. I figure it's a lot cheaper to try a few, than to buy the wrong pistol for all the right reasons. While we were there two sets( ever notice they aren't happy unless they bring their own majority?) of stereotypical bangers showed up. The first group rented a 9 and a 40 , and blazed through their ammo pretty quickly. The way they were shooting I don't guess they had to change targets all that often. The second group was a hoot. All in "uniform" they sloughed through door and with lazer precision homed in on the biggest, shiniest cannon in the house,a 50 DI. They disappear into a different section of lanes. A little later we hear BOOM then silence for a couple of minutes , and then a repeat.This went on for 15/20 minutes. I went to the desk to get a target, and they came out, kvetching about this pistol jamming all the time.I'll give the guy at the desk points for not laughing out loud. This was apparently not his first rodeo. He very patiently explained that you have to put enough homey behind it to allow the action to function. Maybe if they had all held it.

silaic7
02-26-2010, 10:32 AM
If I don't feel safe at a range, I quit going there - it's that simple.

same here!

nitrofc
02-26-2010, 10:57 AM

I only go to BLM land period. The indoor and outdoor range is just not my thing at all. I'd rather take my chances out in the open.

We always park where I can see any vehicle coming towards us by a mile or more. Every magazine I own stay's full, I carry a backup and the 12 Gauge mag. stays within a short reach. I ALWAYS bring way more assorted ammo than I will use that day. If somebody gets too close.....everything goes in the truck, and I make a move. I'm not out there to make any friends.
But I don't wait to the last minute to pack it all up.

I know how you feel....it gets quiet out there sometimes.
But for me.....that's the way I like it.

curtp11
02-26-2010, 11:13 AM
www.scottsdalegunclub.com

worth a look and if you ever get in the Phoenix area, visiting.

Scratch705
02-26-2010, 11:18 AM
In my experience at gun ranges, young people with firearms equals cocky idiots. Regardless of race. If they're in a group multiply their stupidity by 2 for each added individual.

thanks for calling me an idiot. :rolleyes:

iareConfusE
02-26-2010, 12:17 PM

Thats just about the most ignorant thing I've heard all day. I'm 21, and am extremely OCD about where the muzzle of my gun points, as well as every other safety issue. Yet, I guess I'm still a cocky idiot :|

Rekrab
02-26-2010, 12:58 PM
coltn46920, that's the kind of attitude that's losing us 2A'ers the culture war. You better start learning to accept that the age of someone has nothing to do with their gun safety habits. I've been swept by more people older than me than younger. Age has nothing to do with it.

So stop waving your cane at the kids on your lawn and get used to us.

BillPear
02-26-2010, 3:10 PM
I'll have to check out OC Sheriffs.

I go to Firing Line in HB as well. Great group of guys there. I was surprised to see some bad reviews on them though when you google them up. I think its mostly because people got their feelings hurt. The range operators are pretty stern with the knuckleheads that come into the range.

Yeah I read those bad reviews too, I think if youread between the lines the reviews were posted by exactly the same Aholes we're talking about here. My only grief with them is the price and I would like to shoot a box of hollowpoints through each of my guns to verify performance and to rotate stock, but I can do that at the Sheriffs range.:43:

retired
02-26-2010, 4:28 PM
I have never felt in danger at a range where they charge to use.
I have felt in danger when I used to shoot off Azusa Canyon. I think it was called Pigeon Ridge. I have also been out in the desert where it was legal to shoot. Long time ago. Maybe near Joshua Tree.
Anyway, the sound of ricochets whizzing by and losers with guns convinced me to spend money on range fees.
I agree with SCMA-1. The range needs to control the customers or get them out. List the name, this should motivate them to get their act together.

RedFord, you are correct about Pigeon Ridge. I used to patrol that area and recall when it was closed and why. They had intended to close it anyway, but what caused it to be done almost overnight was a County Public Works employee was shot after he drove past the turnout.

The County PW dump trucks filled with dirt came up to the turnout used for parking and filled it up with dirt. No more parking, no more access. The employee was injured, not killed thankfully.

m98
02-26-2010, 11:01 PM
I always carry on my hip when "out there"...
and always go nat'l forest/blm to shoot.

same here and I Always try to go in a group of atleast 4....That way if I'm sending lead out past 500 and I need to go check targets, 2 will go out and 2 will stay behind and in touch with radio comms.

m98
02-26-2010, 11:02 PM

100% correct...........And if their girlfriends are with them also, the stupidity level ups' by 4x each.

Rekrab
02-28-2010, 1:38 AM
Wow, seriously guys? Never met a single responsible "young guy" at the range?

No wonder this sport is dying out...

CharAznable
02-28-2010, 1:58 AM
Define young? I think any n00b is dangerous, but should be encouraged to learn. I speak as a n00b.

orangeusa
02-28-2010, 2:10 AM
At the two ranges I go to, I can talk to the younger guys if I'm uncomfortable with their behavior (safety wise), but don't need to usually (and I mean younger - like a group of college students). And I'm no kid!!

And yes, I've been in mortal danger more times by old salts who know everything than any other group!!!! :) A-holes who have 5 guns at their lane and 3 friends that they are trying to teach how to shoot (without teaching safety or basic GUN etiquette).

Bulleh
02-28-2010, 2:50 AM
100% correct...........And if their girlfriends are with them also, the stupidity level ups' by 4x each.

I just turned 21 and took an interest in firearms. I've drilled myself more times than you probably would give me credit for on the safe procedure on firearms. I'm 100% well aware of the dangers fire arms process, especially if a firearm is placed in a misguided, irresponsible persons hands, regardless of what their age may be. After a few times of going to the range and feeling comfortable with myself and safe procedures, I took my girlfriend with me to the range. I taught her the basics while ALWAYS maintaining safety at the range.

It's true, we "young'ns" can learn a lot from you "older folks." You guys have a lot more experience under your belts then us. But who's going to fight for your 2nd amendment rights when your generation is in wheelchairs? I don't understand why all or most of us younger adults are classified as those who mishandle firearms, when there are many of us trying to enjoy the same hobby all of us Calgunners share in a safe and mature manner.

It's "adults" like those who posted and stereotyped us that made me feel stupid for asking about the safe handling of firearms. I allowed myself to be talked to like a 5 year old a few times, because I felt the information I was gaining about safe handling was more important than my pride. Just remember, we all had to start somewhere.

orangeusa
02-28-2010, 3:00 AM
Bulleh - did you read the posts up till now? Only 2 dudes came down on younger folks. This is a GUN site. You will get grief no matter WHAT group you are in!! But it comes w/ the territory.

And did you read my posts - all of my issues at the 2 ranges I go to are from senior citizens who know everything and can't be talked to about safety. The problems at the indoor ranges are mostly from new shooters who have 2-3 per lane, and have not really learned safety. Any age.....

Bulleh
02-28-2010, 3:19 AM
Bulleh - did you read the posts up till now? Only 2 dudes came down on younger folks. This is a GUN site. You will get grief no matter WHAT group you are in!! But it comes w/ the territory.

And did you read my posts - all of my issues at the 2 ranges I go to are from senior citizens who know everything and can't be talked to about safety. The problems at the indoor ranges are mostly from new shooters who have 2-3 per lane, and have not really learned safety. Any age.....

I did read and I do understand. I think its great you talk to those who don't really know what their doing and help them out, especially if you feel unsafe. All I'm saying is we should just help educate and better the gun community rather then bash on each other.

psycho_klown66
02-28-2010, 7:58 AM
I have a bunch of targets that I printed out myself that I sometimes use.

If I'm unsure about the guy/group next to me, I go over there with 3 of my targets with tape on them, give them the targets, tell them to tape it over the overused target sheet that they have.

It seems like having someone outside of their group going over to them, breaks up the "goofing" and lets them know that it's serious business, in an in-direct way. And they usually appreciate the "free" target sheet.

And if I notice something off at their lane, I just let them know, and they are more receptive because I came with free sheets.

It's better then giving someone the dirty eye while they are also holding a firearm.

Beelzy
02-28-2010, 8:00 AM
Never.........I have a gun! :p

dirtnap
02-28-2010, 8:22 AM
LOL, I had to ask a 50+ year old former Marine(judging by the sweater) not to muzzle me with his .44 DE at the range just this past Friday. Young or old, everybody has potential to be unsafe/careless at the range so...fear EVERYBODY!! ;)

greenpea76
02-28-2010, 9:09 AM
I had an instance with my coworker who claims to be a safety advocate and drills it into my head that he is an upstanding responsible gun owner before I went shooting with him.

My story is, we went shooting once after work to the range around the corner from our workplace. We both shared a lane and he was shooting his compact USP 45. I was loading my mags in an unoccupied lane to the left of the one we rented. While he was shooting, his pistol jams and he points it in my direction and pulls the trigger several times to see what was jamming without me knowing as I cannot see past the barrier. Next think I knew, I hear a bang and a shards of the barrier hit the right side of my face and I see powdered cinder block dust from the wall to my left. At that moment I thought I was dead. I looked up at the barrier and less than 12 inches away from my temple, was a shattered hole produced from a .45 bullet.

I turned over to look at him and said, "WHAT THE F@CK?".

He simply looked at me in shock and said, "what?".

Yes, fear everybody!

Never went shooting with that idiot again. Everytime I go to an indoor range and see holes in the barriers, I get flashbacks of the incident.:)

A324
02-28-2010, 9:45 AM
At a public range, denial is your friend.

Even if the other shooters appear and act normal/safe, there's always the chance you won't make it home. After all, you're in the presence of people shooting guns, handling guns, ect. And whenever loaded guns are around, "people" can be downright dangerous, even if they don't intend to be. Sometimes it's best to just not think about it.

Same applies at a private range as well. I've seen too many occurrences of wandering barrels, accidental discharges and the handling of firearms when supposedly the firing range is secured.

They say the round that kills you is silent, that you'll be dead before you hear the sound but I'm in full agreement, it's truly best just not to think about it.