PDA

View Full Version : Gen 4 Glock magazines

bin31z
02-24-2010, 3:58 PM
I heard somewhere that the Gen 4 glocks are going to be compatible with Gen 3 magazines as long as the user does not want to put the safety on the left hand side. Does anyone know for sure?

Untamed1972
02-24-2010, 4:02 PM
I heard somewhere that the Gen 4 glocks are going to be compatible with Gen 3 magazines as long as the user does not want to put the safety on the left hand side. Does anyone know for sure?

do you mean the mag release?

If you wanna swap the mag release you need the newer mag bodies that have the double cut mag-catch notch. If you sticking with standard right side release then the older ones should work.

bohoki
02-24-2010, 4:25 PM
is the ambi catch on the glock copied from the ruger pistols

cause that front catch notch looks really familiar

Quiet
02-24-2010, 4:36 PM
As long as the reversable magazine release is set up on the left side of the frame, the Gen4 Glocks can use the older generations of Glock magazines.
When the reversable magazine release is set up on the right side of the frame, the Gen4 Glocks can only use the newest (9th) generation of Glock magazines.

Pic showing difference between the (left) 9th gen magazine and (right) 8th gen magazine.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/ButchG17/Glock%20magazines/Gen4mag.jpg

bin31z
02-24-2010, 5:14 PM
Thanks. Any differences in the mags themselves besides the cutouts?

pogo
02-24-2010, 6:56 PM
..... Pic showing difference between the (left) 9th gen magazine and (right) 8th gen magazine.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/ButchG17/Glock%20magazines/Gen4mag.jpg

Good pic, thanks! It looks easy enough to carefully mill out the 2nd notch on an earlier mag, unless there's a difference in the earlier Gen's polymer thickness on the uncut side.

Given time I may try to modify one of my earlier 10 rounders, even though I find as a lefty the older original left side setup is easier to use.
I can easily hit the mag release with my left index finger, much more easily than I can hit it with my thumb if I try to shoot right handed, do any other LH'ers find that to be true?

SVRider
02-24-2010, 10:12 PM
Does anyone have a photo history of the Glock magazine development?

9th Gen????!!!! I stopped keeping track after 3rd.... Now I'm curious what all has changed over the years...

Quiet
02-24-2010, 11:24 PM
Does anyone have a photo history of the Glock magazine development?

9th Gen????!!!! I stopped keeping track after 3rd.... Now I'm curious what all has changed over the years...

Most vendors refer/say there are only 4 generations of Glock magazines.
1st gen = NFML mag
2nd gen = FML mag
3rd gen = FML mag with ambi-mag release cut
4th gen = FML with ambi-mag & reversable mag release cuts

However...
Actually, there are currently nine generations of Glock magazines.

Here is a pic showing the 1st gen Glock mag to the 8th gen Glock mag.
http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/qq344/quiet_wolf/G17mags-numbered.jpg?t=1267085994
Generations 1-4 = Pre-'94 ban
Generations 5-6 = During the '94 ban
Generations 7-8 = Post-'94 ban

The 9th generation magazine came out with the Gen4 Glocks.
It is similar to the 8th generation magazine and only differs due to the extra mag release cut out on the left side of the magazine. (reference the pic in my earlier post)

SVRider
02-25-2010, 10:38 PM
Quiet, thank you for the great photo explanation!

I never realized there were so many variations. I guess I should restate.....I stopped keeping track after magazine #7.....

Many thanks for the detailed explanation and photo!

SVRider
02-25-2010, 10:41 PM
BTW, from what I recall, you cannot rebuild 2~4 with parts from 6~8 can you? I seem to remember parts being changed (aside from the bodies...i.e. follower, floorplate, etc.)

Thanks again!