PDA

View Full Version : Sig recoil spring installation direction

ander
02-24-2010, 6:45 AM
My Sig P220 full size does not always lock back after the last round. I've cleaned my mags and have a new green recoil spring. I think I might have the recoil spring in backwards. Which direction does it face and I there something else I should try to fix this problem?

Thanks.

9mmepiphany
02-24-2010, 7:42 AM
the tight end goes onto the guide rod

assuming you are shooting full power ammo and that you are right handed, the easiest test is to shoot it left handed. if it locks back when you shoot it as a lefty, you're right thumb was in the wrong place in your regular hold.

i usually tell folks that when shoot a pistol, other than a 1911 (they have their own issues), using a thumb forwards grip, the strong thumb should be atop the support thumb

Casual_Shooter
02-24-2010, 7:42 AM
Don't know if it has anything to do with the spring, but I found this on Sig's FAQ page. Thought it might help:

Why doesn’t the slide on my pistol lock back on the last round?

Lock back issues can be due to a variety of reasons. I have listed a few for you to check*: Be sure the inside of the magazines are thoroughly cleaned of any grease or lubricant. Be sure the gun has been cleaned and has plenty of lubrication on the slide/frame rails, outside of barrel and the hammer/spring assy. Some guns benefit from a break-in period - give the gun a few hundred rounds to break in and work smoothly. Try different ammunition. If the lower powered ammo is used in a new gun, it may cause feeding, extraction and lock back issues until the springs are broken in. Do all the magazines have the same result? Check your hold to be sure your thumb is not contacting the slide catch lever. A weak hold (“limp wristing”) can result in cycle / lock-back issues Does the slide lock back manually with an empty mag inserted? If so, it is most likely due to one of the tips above. *NOTE: The slide will not lock back on the last round on the Classic .22LR pistols and Conversion Kits.

ander
02-24-2010, 8:03 AM
Super helpful and confirms some independent research I've done. My spring is definitely on backwards. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

On the same note I seem to be having a similar problem with my 1911. Same solution?

corrupt
02-24-2010, 9:23 AM
Same thing on 1911? Limp-wristing?

Skidmark
09-04-2010, 11:44 AM
I was wondering why my P226 spring is orange at one end.

Do the colors denote different spring rates, as well as orient which end goes to rear?

OneSevenDeuce
09-04-2010, 11:47 AM
On the same note I seem to be having a similar problem with my 1911. Same solution?

First thing I would do is check your mags for the 1911 too. There are SO many bad 1911 mags out there (and I think I must have gotten the majority of them). Wilson Combat works every time in mine but a great many of the surplus or less expensive mags I have wont lock the slide back.

Massan
09-04-2010, 11:59 AM
My 220 has the green on the spring also. When I first field stripped it the green end was towards the breech so thats the way it always goes when I reassemble.

P95
09-04-2010, 11:39 PM
I just cleaned my Sig Pro SP2022 for the first time. It uses the silver recoil spring. Both ends of the spring look pretty similar. Also, as a comparison I reversed the direction of the spring from the way it was originally installed on the guide rod. The fit felt the same to me. How do you tell which end goes first onto the guide rod?

Having a removable recoil spring is new to me since I'm used to having a retained recoil spring/guide rod in one unit as in the Ruger P95. Thanks.

yzernie
09-04-2010, 11:46 PM
The SP series springs and the P series springs are different. As 9mm said, for the P series the tighter end (usually the painted end) goes on first.