PDA

View Full Version : Bought a Sig mosquito

Shoot-it
02-23-2010, 8:41 PM
I went shopping for a 22 lr semi auto today and ended up with the Sig I like it the best over the other 22's I held that was in my price range.I did the dross and get it on 3-5.

I now read that some people had problems with them.I was told to make sure to break it in with mini mags before going to other ammo.

Please tell me I bought a good gun.:shrug:

XDRoX
02-23-2010, 8:45 PM
I believe that most of the people that have problems with 22's is that they lack the patience required to break them in. I read awful things about the P22. Well 1000 rounds later and it eats walmart bulk like candy.
Just run mini-mags though it in the beginning and run it wet. Real wet. And shoot it a lot.

IrishPirate
02-23-2010, 8:50 PM
the gun is fine, my brother has one and loves it. keep the feed ramp and the ejector clean and break in the magazine springs a little and you'll be good to go. Mini mags work in everything, they are a good "go to" ammo when you want to know your gun is going to fire without flaws, but i've never heard you need to use them to break a gun in. sounds like it would work good though seeing as they are very reliable, but if you just keep the ramp and ejector clean between mags while breaking it in you should be good.

huck
02-23-2010, 8:53 PM
I have seen bad things first hand at the range that keep me from buying one. IF I had one, I wouldn't fret though. I seem to recall something about a dremel fixing the slide... I don't remember.

Search is your friend.
Google / Calguns search for Mosquito here (http://www.google.com/cse?cx=018149931542195181678%3Apzxbzjzh1zk&ie=UTF-8&q=mosquito&sa=Search&siteurl=www.google.com%2Fcse%2Fhome%3Fcx%3D0181499 31542195181678%3Apzxbzjzh1zk)

aermotor
02-23-2010, 9:01 PM
Definitely a cool looking gun. If you have nothing better to do I'd sit there and rack the slide a few hundred times as well to help with the break in and not have to use so much ammo.

drs2714
02-23-2010, 9:09 PM
I heard that its all the lower sn#'s all the early stuff.I have one in the safe that I got my wife for Xmas but she hasn't had a chance to shoot yet!It starts with a F which is a later model.I looked into it before I bought mine(her's) and thats what I had discover.Sig made changes.Crap I'll go try mine this weekend just to let you know what happens.Thanks!

gucci pilot
02-23-2010, 9:36 PM
I just bought one for plinking and it's a hoot to shoot. Light enough and (obviously) no recoil for the wife but large enough for me to handle. I always bring my squito with me to the range. Now, for the downside, the double action is STIFF! But, single action is "normal" for what it's worth.

I agree with above, you want to use mini mags to break in the gun. I ran 500 rounds before using anything else.

BTW, it is cheap as hell to shoot all day. Enjoy!

jyo
02-24-2010, 12:29 AM
My brother brought one and had NOTHING but trouble with it---I don't believe we managed to shoot a single magazine thru it without FTF, FTE or a "double feed"---and we tried nearly every type and brand of .22 ammo IN THE WORLD!! Good freaking luck with this!

Shoot-it
02-24-2010, 12:47 AM
My brother brought one and had NOTHING but trouble with it---I don't believe we managed to shoot a single magazine thru it without FTF, FTE or a "double feed"---and we tried nearly every type and brand of .22 ammo IN THE WORLD!! Good freaking luck with this!

how long ago was this .Have you tried polishing the feed ramps.

BilletGarage
02-24-2010, 12:55 AM
I've owned mine now for a little over 2 years and the more I shoot it the less it jams. I've found CCI Blazer Ammo works best for me, non hollow point. I also keep the gun well oiled. In the beginning, I had good luck putting about 100 rounds in a zip-lock bag with a few drops of oil and coating the ammo. Seemed to have very few jams with that method early on. There's been about 1,500 rounds through it now. Went to the range about a week ago and shot about 200 rounds with only one jam and the gun was really dry at that point. Don't give up on it too quickly. It's a fun gun to shoot and looks pretty darn cool in my opinion. The problem is getting my girlfriend to let me shoot it now. It's her favorite.

DougJ
02-24-2010, 9:09 AM
My Daughter just bought one of these. She was wanting her own gun and I wanted her to DROS it on her own, but provided her with some "gun cash" as a Christmas present.

She loves it, so far we've only shot Mini-Mags through it and it's been flawless. We did field strip, clean, and lube before the first shooting session. We swapped front sights to the middle sized one but haven't fooled with the second recoil spring.

onikage
02-24-2010, 9:31 AM
When you get it, strip it and clean it as it says in the manual. Run only CCI Mini Mags through it for, 500 rounds I think? If you want to be ultra certain, there is a guide posted on here about polishing the feed ramp to a mirror finish. Other than that it should run perfectly fine.

I own one and have only had two FTE with the CCI Mini Mags in several hundred rounds. It was a good little training pistol for the wife who now says .22 is "too weaksauce." Cocky little thing she can be :p

yelohamr
02-24-2010, 9:49 AM
I have several thousand rounds through mine. I only get FTE's when not using CCI Mini Mags.
How to polish the ramp: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yahzMTOO34

Checkout the Sig Forum http://sigforum.com/ lot of info on the Mosquito by Mississipi Dave.

NavDoc
02-24-2010, 11:05 AM
Good luck. Let us know how it shoots.

yelohamr
02-24-2010, 2:54 PM
Just got back from the range. Wanted to try different ammo. The Mosquito fired 100 rounds of Fiocchi, high velocity 40 grain copper plated round nose without an FTE or FTL. These pop out at 1263 fps.
I also tried some Aguila, supermaximum hyper velocity at 1750 fps and got an FTE on almost everyone of the 50 rounds I shot through it with the heavy spring and an FTL with the light spring.
The Aguila ammo works great in my 10/22 and even has some recoil.

Ricky-Ray
02-24-2010, 4:37 PM
I was looking at the Mosquito too and the guy at Turner's told me even as much as he would love to make a sale off of me he highly recommended not getting it. He said if you only shoot CCI mini mag's then you should be fine, but if you want to shoot the cheap stuff then it get's VERY picky on what it want's to shoot.

yelohamr
02-24-2010, 4:46 PM
I was looking at the Mosquito too and the guy at Turner's told me even as much as he would love to make a sale off of me he highly recommended not getting it. He said if you only shoot CCI mini mag's then you should be fine, but if you want to shoot the cheap stuff then it get's VERY picky on what it want's to shoot.

Which Turner's? I bought mine at the San Marcos store in Oct of 2008.

Ricky-Ray
02-24-2010, 5:13 PM
Which Turner's? I bought mine at the San Marcos store in Oct of 2008.

Pasadena at it was probably about a month or two ago when they had the Mosquito on sale.

pl408
02-24-2010, 5:24 PM
I had one, sold it and miss it
only problem I had was the barrel screws came loose and had some feeding issue's, a little locktite later and it ran like a champ
congratulations!

jvquattro
02-24-2010, 6:09 PM
Nice! Good choice.

Shoot-it
03-06-2010, 12:04 AM
Picked up the sig today I bought 200 rounds of rem viper solids they were out of cci. I shot a few rounds then it had a fte every other few rounds but I like how it shot had a nice trigger. I will go around town Saturday and hunt down some cci ammo. I gave the feed ramp a polish just for the hell of it.

PewPewBob
03-06-2010, 12:10 AM
Ruger Mark II/III for the win.... thats all.

sv_1
03-06-2010, 10:48 AM
I have many thousands of rounds through mine. The only time I have a problem is after about 800+ rounds and no cleaning.

Seed
03-06-2010, 4:37 PM
It should have come with another spring. It's in the case behind the foam. Try different springs.

valkylrie
04-06-2010, 1:30 PM
Today was the day, I finally convinced my wife to start shooting with me. So we bought here a Sig Mosquito, during the Dros I read all the forums. When we picked it up the shop had no CCI mini-Mags but suggested Winchester Super X, Super Speed HP 37 Grains 1330 FPS that’s what we bought. I spent some time this morning cleaning and lubing before we headed to the range.

We had about a dozen FTF, FTL and FTE through 100 rounds. This did seem to taper off a bit the more she shot. I think she got 3 mags through it one time with no problem.

I’m going to polish the feed ramp, and try a little lithium grease on the slide rails before we go out again. I hope this gets better, but we used each one as a learning experience of how to recognize the problem and how to clear it.

On a side note the wife enjoyed herself and is beginning to visibly become more comfortable handling a gun. I am excited to have a new shooting buddy.

Ricky-Ray
04-06-2010, 1:36 PM
Today was the day, I finally convinced my wife to start shooting with me. So we bought here a Sig Mosquito, during the Dros I read all the forums. When we picked it up the shop had no CCI mini-Mags but suggested Winchester Super X, Super Speed HP 37 Grains 1330 FPS thatís what we bought. I spent some time this morning cleaning and lubing before we headed to the range.

We had about a dozen FTF, FTL and FTE through 100 rounds. This did seem to taper off a bit the more she shot. I think she got 3 mags through it one time with no problem.

Iím going to polish the feed ramp, and try a little lithium grease on the slide rails before we go out again. I hope this gets better, but we used each one as a learning experience of how to recognize the problem and how to clear it.

On a side note the wife enjoyed herself and is beginning to visibly become more comfortable handling a gun. I am excited to have a new shooting buddy.

That is awesome. My wife shoots every once in a while too but for the most part she's still afraid of it. I've convinced her to take the basic firearms course and of course I will go along with her. I'm hoping one day she will get use to it and start enjoying it like I do and have a shooting buddy too.

Bug Splat
04-06-2010, 2:06 PM
Buddy has one and it is crap. Will not eat anything even mini-mags. He has sent it in twice to sig and no change. He has hand cycled over 1000 rounds through it (hand cycled because it wont cycle more than 3 rounds on its own) and it still jams. He wants to sell it but feels bad and does not want to drop that POS on anyone. He has talked about shooting with one of his rifles just for fun.

Echidin
04-06-2010, 3:24 PM
The sig mosquitos are nice little guns. I almost bought one a while back as an impulse buy, but somehow managed to hold off. +1 for the mini mags during the break in.

tiko
04-06-2010, 10:33 PM
I have several thousand rounds through mine. I only get FTE's when not using CCI Mini Mags.

THIS! Or Yellow jacket.

CharAznable
04-06-2010, 11:58 PM
Hrm..this vs P22?

Seed
04-07-2010, 5:46 PM
Hrm..this vs P22?

never ending debate. search forums.

advocatusdiaboli
04-07-2010, 9:47 PM
Sig has a forum and in it is a detailed description of the care, feeding, and modification of the Skeeter. That guy really gives detailed instructions on how to make it a fine shooting 22. After reading that, I'll be buying one eventually--I now believe that with proper care, they are a fine gun

valkylrie
04-11-2010, 4:10 PM
Just an update to my Mosquito ownership.

Today was the second trip to the range with our little Mosquito. Not a problem one. I will suggest that the cleaning after we did the first range was a bit extra, but a well cleaned and lubed Skeeter provide alot of joy today. My 16 year old daughter is now a fan and even my 5 year old son loves to shoot it. They are both well supervised and assisted I asure you.

Total rounds fired to date 200, 100 today with out a single problem.

Winchester Super X, Super Speed HP 37 Grains 1330 FPS

xxxx
04-11-2010, 8:39 PM
Research RemOil with Teflon. Took my P22 to the range, only used that - not one issue in 500 rounds. CCI Mini-Mags 40gr

ZirconJohn
04-11-2010, 8:43 PM
Mannnnn... that's a nice little gun :thumbsup:

I had one through here about a month ago... I sure would'a liked to kept it...!