PDA

View Full Version : Foresthill Range Cleanup; Sacramento and surrounding areas...

NorCalMama
02-23-2010, 5:25 PM
Just wanted to post the link to the Foresthill Range Cleanup thread-

"Stupid Spot" Cleanup! (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=272105)

The date is March 20 at 10 am, so if you're nearby, come along! We need able bodies, big trash cans, 4x4's and people who can carpool! :D

Hope to see you there!

scoob_i_e
02-23-2010, 5:48 PM
I'm there.

But what about an earlier time of day? Would that be a possibility?

NorCalMama
02-23-2010, 6:02 PM
Ok, we can start at 8 am.

See ya there! :)

I'm there.

But what about an earlier time of day? Would that be a possibility?

Seesm
02-23-2010, 7:40 PM
I will of course try to be there.... Depends on if any work rolls in.

NorCalMama
02-23-2010, 9:29 PM
I will of course try to be there.... Depends on if any work rolls in.

I hope you can make it, but then again work is always good to have! :D

trailbuster
02-24-2010, 7:17 PM
As long as work does not get in the way I should be able to show up. I might be able to convince my dad to come along with.

I have 1 4x4 and can bring along a 5x8 non covered trailer. If we fill it with non electronic items and I get an extra hand we can stop off at the Foresthill Dump and dump the trailer contents there. As part of my dump fees I can take up to 1 yard of construction material a month there.

Hopefully this will pan out and I can go.

NorCalMama
02-24-2010, 8:49 PM
That's awesome! I hope it works out! :)

As long as work does not get in the way I should be able to show up. I might be able to convince my dad to come along with.

I have 1 4x4 and can bring along a 5x8 non covered trailer. If we fill it with non electronic items and I get an extra hand we can stop off at the Foresthill Dump and dump the trailer contents there. As part of my dump fees I can take up to 1 yard of construction material a month there.

Hopefully this will pan out and I can go.

Seesm
02-25-2010, 12:03 PM
Trail buster you rock that will help ALOT... Thanks your for this offer. Either way I am planning to go... Will we meet up at Raleys in Auburn in the AM or some place else?

sprintcar
02-26-2010, 6:38 PM
I should be able to make this clean up. Hopefully the weekend will be nice and dry. See you there.

BgDmSWEDE
02-28-2010, 12:04 AM
Norcal mama - does it really require 4x4 and what kind of junk are we talking about? I'm an AZ transplant and our wildcat ranges would collect anything from beer cans to stolen autos and all stuff in between... refrigs, stoves, TVs yada yada. I have a 4dr Ford Sport Trac 2wd (very small truck bed). I could take 3-4 people and lighter weight junk or other peoples trash cans.

I am also looking to purchase new or used a .460XVR S&W and a Rossi Puma 92 lever gun in .454 Cassal, anybody recommend a GOOD dealer with reasonable prices? Prefer used guns FTF to keep cost down. :-)

leitung
02-28-2010, 3:19 AM
Provided work does not get in the way. I have a quad cab 4X4 pickup and I will bring some trash bags and such.

Surveyor
02-28-2010, 2:32 PM
I'll be there.

scoob_i_e
02-28-2010, 2:33 PM
I think we need a "4WD park-and-ride" poll indicating;

1. Who needs to park-and ride and

2. Who can/will provide a 4WD-style lift.

There is (naturally due to this range being on open/public land) some off-roading involved to get to it--not much off-roading though but it's definitely enough to warrant having 4WD.

I figure a poll like this is kind of necessary--Necessary that is if by late March the terrain is not manageable in a 2WD. So this way we can make sure everyone has a seat/means of getting in there to that spot.

So just an idea... Maybe a poll to tally up the statistics involved?....

Maybe make the wording something along the lines of;

I do not have 4WD/I need to ride with someone (with a 4WD)

I have a 4WD/I can provide a lift

chrisw
02-28-2010, 2:39 PM
I've never been there. How accessible is the place to trailers? for loading trash etc..

chrisw
02-28-2010, 2:45 PM
Also, there is a poll HERE (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=272105) where you can say what you can bring etc...

NorCalMama
03-04-2010, 11:02 AM
Ok, so it looks like we do not have a trailer at this point, so if someone who was a maybe can definitely bring one, that would be HUGE!

Seesm
03-07-2010, 5:27 PM
Trailer will be fine to get in there... Dump trailer would be EPIC... I think you had emailed me in regards to this already Chris? 4x4 is not needed unless there snow really and if snowy kind of a waste to go up there IMHO...

trailbuster
03-12-2010, 2:13 PM
So far its looking like a go for me. Are we meeting there at 8am or at 10am?

Looks like tonight might be the last bit of snow before the clean-up. Snow should be melted off by the time next weekend comes around but it might be a little mucky with the melt.

Purple K
03-12-2010, 2:31 PM
I might be able to borrow a trailer.

El_Dorado
03-12-2010, 7:01 PM
I live in Forest Hill and will bring my small utility trailer. Since I am a local I can use the local dump for free..... I will be there

trailbuster
03-12-2010, 8:58 PM
Sounds like we now have 2 people from the foresthill area who both have trailers. As long as it's not electronics that we are loading into the trailers we can dump up to 1 yard of construction material for free. I would just ask for an extra hand to unload the trailers.

Those in the Foresthill area will look at meeting either at the Todd Valley fire department or up in town at Wartons. With the Trailers it would probably be better to meet at Wortons.

Anyone know what time we are meeting at the site? I can meet anytime in Foresthill. Should take us about 20 min to get from Wartons to the site. I have never been there but it looks to be just past Michigan Bluff.

Seesm
03-12-2010, 10:11 PM
There are some TVs and such all shot up some dirtballs left out there btw... A bunch of monkies have been out there just blasting stuff away...

El_Dorado
03-13-2010, 3:07 PM
Monkeys with guns? Might scare me away:eek:

NorCalMama
03-13-2010, 4:52 PM
Anyone know what time we are meeting at the site? I can meet anytime in Foresthill. Should take us about 20 min to get from Wartons to the site. I have never been there but it looks to be just past Michigan Bluff.

We're meeting there at 8 am (early!)

NorCalMama
03-13-2010, 4:54 PM
btw-thank you sooo much to all who are bringing trailers! That will be an excellent help! :)

IrishPirate
03-13-2010, 5:01 PM
can't make this one but the time is quickly approaching when i'll be closer to Sac and can be more active.

since this spot seems to be getting trashed....what would it take logistically to put some public information, trash cans, etc. in the area to help keep it clean? or has that already been done? haven't been out there so i dont know the situation but I'd like to help prevent it from being abused if that's a posibility :D

trailbuster
03-13-2010, 8:03 PM
Sounds good. We will leave Wortons at 7:30am. That should put us there at 8am.

chrisw
03-14-2010, 2:27 PM
can't make this one but the time is quickly approaching when i'll be closer to Sac and can be more active.

since this spot seems to be getting trashed....what would it take logistically to put some public information, trash cans, etc. in the area to help keep it clean? or has that already been done? haven't been out there so i dont know the situation but I'd like to help prevent it from being abused if that's a posibility :D

they'd just use them for targets...

NorCalMama
03-14-2010, 2:28 PM

Very true.

IrishPirate
03-14-2010, 2:29 PM

that bad huh? hmmmm....well I'm sure something can be thought of. we've got to have half a brain between us all right?............:o

chrisw
03-14-2010, 2:52 PM
that bad huh? hmmmm....well I'm sure something can be thought of. we've got to have half a brain between us all right?............:o

I'm not even certain who actually owns/manages the land there. Anybody know?

Purple K
03-18-2010, 2:47 AM
For us Flatlanders, what/where is Warton's?

trailbuster
03-18-2010, 6:58 AM
I have not been to the stupid spot so I will be winging it to get there. I know the area so am not worried about getting lost but it might not be the most efficient way to get there.

Worton's is our local grocery store and is on Foresthill Road just as you start to get into town. From Foresthill Bridge its about 16 miles in on the right side. It will be right after the first gas station.

I will be leaving there at 7:30 if anyone wants to join me in my trek to the stupid spot. I will be in a red f150 with white camper shell towing little 5x8 trailer.

I have not had an opportunity to get up there and verify what the road looks like and if the Stupid Spot is covered in snow. I am going to see if I can sneak up there tonight after work and see if the snow has melted off....But NO Guarantees on that.

trailbuster
03-18-2010, 7:00 AM
ohh. By the way. The land is BLM land so there is nobody managing it. Its open to the anyone who wants to go out and shoot just like other spots in the area.

The trouble is there are a lot of people that use that area from sacramento to our area. I have heard about it and tend to stay clear as it can be busy at times and I like to be where I can trust who I am shooting with.

trailbuster
03-18-2010, 7:33 PM
Ok. I have checked it out and the road is very clear. Very little mud and the 99% of the snow has melted. I expect to see it 100% gone by Saturday Morning as the only area left is a small section which is in the shade.

I forgot I have driven by this area a few times but it's not the most idea spot to go shooting.

I did check out 1 other place that I go shooting near there and if we get the Stupid Spot clear in time I might take my family over to one of our normal spots and pick up some more there.

Easy 2 wheel drive access so no fears from any of you flatlanders :)

Meet some of ya at Worton's at 7:30am.

NorCalMama
03-18-2010, 10:00 PM
For those coming from Sac or further, it will be best to meet at the Raley's in Auburn by 7:00 am. From there, head up to Wortons. You'll need to arrive by 7:30 am.
Here are the directions from the Raley's to Worton's-
Raley's to Wortons (http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Auburn&1s=CA&1a=13384+Lincoln+Way&1z=95603-3239&1y=US&1l=38.922884&1g=-121.056057&1v=ADDRESS&2c=Foresthill&2s=CA&2a=30303+Chicken+Hawk+Rd&2z=95631-9309&2y=US&2l=39.054031&2g=-120.733062&2v=ADDRESS#b/maps/m:map:8:38.988792:-120.894599::::::1:1:::::::::/l::13384+Lincoln+Way:Auburn:CA:95603-3239:US:38.922884:-121.056057:address::1:::/l::23140+Foresthill+Rd:Foresthill:CA:95631-9701:US:39.01306:-120.83902:address:Placer+County:1:::/io:1:::::f:en_US:M:/bl:/e)

For those who need the info, here is the map of the dump, to dump it's $20 per cubic yard. Open from 8 am-4 pm.-

Foresthill Dump (http://www.placer.ca.gov/Maps/Misc%20Halls_Dumps_Schools/Forest%20Hill%20Tran%20Sta.aspx)

As far as needing 4x4, from what local residents have said, it's not needed, so 4x2 should be fine.

rolex87
03-19-2010, 7:16 PM
worton's 730 am...i'll be there

rolex87
03-19-2010, 7:19 PM
whoops, got mortons confused with raleys...im going to raleys...see you at 7

NorCalMama
03-20-2010, 12:07 PM
Ok, so due to babysitter issues, I had my husband go in my place. He told me that it wasn't really that bad and that the cleanup didn't take very long.

Thanks SOOOO much everyone who came! You guys are awesome! :)

Purple K
03-20-2010, 12:49 PM
There were twelve of us. We got a ton of stuff cleaned up!

rolex87
03-20-2010, 4:40 PM
Ok, so due to babysitter issues, I had my husband go in my place. He told me that it wasn't really that bad and that the cleanup didn't take very long.

Thanks SOOOO much everyone who came! You guys are awesome! :)

Which one was your husband?

The second spot was cool, then some guys and their wives came by. I got my optic sighted in about 1 inch groups at 50 or so yards and the had a spring failure which put me out of commission...yet my 60 year old guns worked just fine...grrr

trailbuster
03-20-2010, 5:54 PM
It was a kick meeting up with everyone. It took us about 15 min to clean out the trailer at the dump so no big deal.

If anyone wants to go out shooting one weekend feel free to drop by a line and I would be happy to go out with you guys again!

My daughter enjoyed the work and the ability to push off some frustration. Sorry we had to leave so early but we had to get home because we had to put down our 15 year old dog.

scoob_i_e
03-20-2010, 6:37 PM
Oh no that is not good to hear. Been there a few times unfortunately. Sorry to hear it.

chrisw
03-20-2010, 6:56 PM
Which one was your husband?

This goofy looking guy right here :eek:...unfortunately for nocalmama!

trailbuster
03-20-2010, 8:19 PM
Oh no that is not good to hear. Been there a few times unfortunately. Sorry to hear it.

Yea we have been there before with another dog but she didn't live as long with the kids. Everyone will do fine as they understand that she was 105 in dog years so lived a full life and everyone enjoyed having her around.

Its not like we only had the one dog. We are down to 3 now...plus the goats and chickens.

El_Dorado
03-21-2010, 7:02 AM
Once again I have escaped a picture! The clean up was certainly a feel good time. The place was a mess at the start, but looked so much better when done. Thanks to everyone that came from so far to help on the Foresthill Divide.

Guys at the dump could not believe how many bullet holes were in that old red tailgate and propane jug....

Rigma
03-21-2010, 10:46 PM
I enjoyed my first CGN event and will surely be there bucket and rake in hand for the next.

Thanks to those that hauled out all that junk. Thanks also for showing us the much safer location I am calling "The Smart Spot."

I will be going there in the next few weeks with the friend that canceled on me Saturday...so I'll make him bring some bags and a rake!

Seesm
03-25-2010, 11:22 PM
Sorry I missed you all... Truly I just lost track of the dates and I had a tractor job come up and I needed the work... I did not even know until Scoobie called me and email me I did not know I missed it. Next time I want to be there. Thanks folks.