PDA

View Full Version : Caliber Dilema...

aermotor
02-23-2010, 1:11 PM
I currently own two FNP 40s, love them to death. Great size, insanely reliable, and I've got about 2000 rounds of .40 as is.

Now... I'm looking at getting a Kahr PM45 for a really small and easy carry gun. I'm going with .45 over .40 cause the frame is a bit bigger and much easier in the hand, and shouldn't have the snap that .40 has.

I'd really like to keep it simple and just stick with one caliber, so that's where I'm at right now, a bit torn as to whether upgrade everything to the beast .45 or just have a small amount of .45 to feed the PM45. I've looked into the FNP 45s and they seem really easy to shoot, probably more so than the 40s, so I don't think that's really an issue for me, although they are bigger and finding one is tougher.

Last option would be to just get a PM40 with the Pearce grip and call it a day...

Thoughts?

CornFedWB
02-23-2010, 1:26 PM
Im having the same issue, I have 45s but im thinking about getting a 9mm next and worry that I'm spreading my cals out too much and i wont have the healthy stock im used to. I'm doing 9mm because its waaaaaay cheaper, so a few thousand rounds isnt gonna be a prob. Its all about you priorities, do you NEED comfort in sacrafice of ammo capacity and price, or could you go with the 40 and figure something out that works for you, or maybe even downsize.

MasterYong
02-23-2010, 1:27 PM
Upgrade everything to .45

I'm not a .40 fan. Mostly because it was invented not out of necessity but because the 10mm was too powerful (or so I've read).

.45 is a 100+ year-old, tried-and-true bad-guy-stoppin round. I like it. DOOOO IT!!!!

addiction
02-23-2010, 1:31 PM
just for a different presective, I purposely bought a 9mm gun, a 40SW gun and a 45 gun, so what ever ammo is availaible of the big three I will have something to shoot it.......

Jim

aermotor
02-23-2010, 2:18 PM
Good points from all angles... Looks like I might be able to sell all my .40 and not lose too much on it and get back nearly as much .45

I think what it really comes down to is follow up shots, how fast and accurate can I shoot if I need to. I don't have any experience with .45 so perhaps I should do that before making a decision. It's definitely tough to get my hands on a PM40/PM45 and an FNP45.

I might just end up staying with .40 for now since I have a lot of it and just get some really good self defense loads. Guns are cheaper, and so is ammo for now. Ballistics are quite similar with hot SD loads, so might as well make it easy on myself for now :)

Greg-Dawg
02-23-2010, 2:35 PM
I see a 9mm in your future.

aermotor
02-23-2010, 2:38 PM
Ahaha no way!