PDA

View Full Version : Besides Springfield Armory, Who Else Makes...

Jason762
02-23-2010, 12:18 PM
Besides the folks at Springfield Armory, who else makes the bare-bones GI style pistol that's legal for sale in CA?

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d12/Jason762/PW9108LP.gif

I'm looking for information on one, preferably US made (Springfield makes their pistols in Croatia, IIRC) and blued steel instead of parkerized.

chickenfried
02-23-2010, 12:21 PM
colt
ria/armscor
auto ordnance

Jason762
02-23-2010, 12:36 PM
Thanks!

Two questions:

Is that order from best quality to least quality? And,

Where can I find them for sale online (for price comparisons)?

chickenfried
02-23-2010, 12:40 PM
no just off the top of my head. You could check sportingarms, budsgunshop, and gunbroker.

bootcamp
02-23-2010, 12:44 PM
Out of the 4 listed in this thread. For the best bang for your buck the Springfield will probably give you the best results. Colt being the best but more expensive.

Rekrab
02-23-2010, 12:58 PM
Just from handling, the Rock Island isn't appreciably different from the SA GI.

I've shot an older SA GI (from when they were still made in America) next to my RIA tactical, and I would say they're very equal in terms of quality.

You'll also save a couple hundred bucks going the RIA route.

9mmepiphany
02-23-2010, 1:00 PM
preferably US made

just for accurate info

Springfield Armory 1911s are not made in Croatia, they start life in Brazil...their XD line is from Croatia

i know RIA and Armcor are from the P.I., isn't auto ordinance from there too

Rekrab
02-23-2010, 1:30 PM
Gah, I missed the made in USA part.

Well, if I had to choose between Brazil and the Phillipines... >.>

ianS
02-23-2010, 1:51 PM
Stick with Springfield Armory. Not that their QC is perfect but they seem to be pretty consistent and their customer support is one of the best. Their Brazilian (IMBEL) forged slides/frames are considered one of the best in the world and is a top choice for $3000 custom jobs.

Colt if must have the horsey but all their guns have sharper edges (dehorning is necessary if you intend to do any serious training with it) than almost any 1911 out there and sometime their machining is not quite right (dustcover/slide rubbing or recoil spring tunnel is thinner on one side). Doesn't matter if its their base model or Special Combat model. I've owned my share of Colt Gov't Models but I always looked closely before buying. Doesn't affect function but annoying for a 1911 that cost almost $1000 new.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v611/Ian111/ColtXSE.jpg

ianS
02-23-2010, 2:01 PM
Why not your XSE? A customized SA 1911 is nice but a customized 1911 with a horsey is a bit more "desireable" I have to admit.

Jason762
02-23-2010, 2:05 PM
Guys - thanks for the responses.

As for the made in the US part, it is just a preference not a requirement.

I currently own a Colt 1911 XSE but want a loosey-goosey plain-jane 1911 I can upgrade as I go along.

The most important factor for me is the quality of the metalwork on the slide & frame. I am not looking for tight tolerances, but rather want something loose that can function when it's dirty as hell.

As for "ponies" and stuff, I'd actually prefer a "sterile" slide.

Friar_Tuck
02-23-2010, 2:06 PM
What about that beautiful SmithWesson 1911 somebody posted a picture of here the other day? I wasnt aware that Smith was making 1911 clones, but the one that was pictured looked very nice. So nice, that'll be next months handgun purchase of the month if I can find one and it's not too too expensive...

Jason762
02-23-2010, 2:09 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v611/Ian111/ColtXSE.jpg

Damn bro! What the hell happened?

ianS
02-23-2010, 2:14 PM
That pic is from a Tactical Response class from one of their AAR's. http://getoffthex.com/groupee/?s=817104881&cdra=Y From doing Tap Rack Bang drills.

One of the reasons why I stay away from adjustable sights on a defense pistol.

ianS
02-23-2010, 2:24 PM
Guys - thanks for the responses.

The most important factor for me is the quality of the metalwork on the slide & frame. I am not looking for tight tolerances, but rather want something loose that can function when it's dirty as hell.

As for "ponies" and stuff, I'd actually prefer a "sterile" slide.

Most base 1911's you're not gonna get beautiful lines like an Ed Brown. What's more important is you're getting a good base 1911 to work with. SA's don't have Series 80 or Schwartz firing pin safety gizmos unlike Colt, Kimber, or SW1911. Hence the popularity of SA GI/MilSpec models with custom makers for a really good trigger break. A few custom builders can do wonders with a Series 80 too. If you can find a Series 70 Colt that is always a top candidate with custom builders. So if this is something you intend to eventually pour a lot of money into go with SA or Colt Series 70. If you're just gonna put a few hundred dollars and do it yourself (good luck!) I'd still go with SA.

And if a 1911 is made right it doesn't matter if its tight or loose. Super tight 1911's like Les Baer and SA Custom pistols like the Professional run like tops without constant cleaning, just lube.

chickenfried
02-23-2010, 2:29 PM
The gun with all the blood on it doesn't have adjustable sights? Couldn't read the link some kinda membership needed.

That pic is from a Tactical Response class from one of their AAR's. http://getoffthex.com/groupee/?s=817104881&cdra=Y From doing Tap Rack Bang drills.

One of the reasons why I stay away from adjustable sights on a defense pistol.

Jason762
02-23-2010, 2:35 PM
The gun with all the blood on it doesn't have adjustable sights? Couldn't read the link some kinda membership needed.

+1 even after I registered, I couldn't get to the thread. Just brings me to the home page

ianS
02-23-2010, 2:37 PM
Oops yeah, I just linked to their site. I'll try to find it. The pic was saved to my photobucket. Its from a old thread. You do need a membership to see it if you find it..

edit:
It simply won't let me search back that far.

Daniel Hunter
02-23-2010, 3:01 PM
Just from handling, the Rock Island isn't appreciably different from the SA GI.

I've shot an older SA GI (from when they were still made in America) next to my RIA tactical, and I would say they're very equal in terms of quality.

You'll also save a couple hundred bucks going the RIA route.

Springfield Armory 1911's have always been made in Brazil. Some final fitting may be done in the U.S. on certain models but that's it.

Rekrab
02-23-2010, 3:04 PM
Weird, I didn't see Brazil stamped on his. Regardless, it was older.

sofine354
02-23-2010, 5:31 PM
Auto ordnance is now owned by Kahr Arms. I am 85% sure they are US made, and are under $500 at Bass Pro, so they must be affordable other places.

Blackhawk556
02-23-2010, 7:19 PM
springfield 1911s are made in Brazil?? damn i always thought they were 100% American made. Is there a company that does their entire gun manufacturing in America? or do they import parts from all over the place?

twinjetguy
02-23-2010, 11:06 PM
I have a Rock Island and a Springfield Armory. I like them both. The only reason I picked up the springfield is their reputation and it was OD green. Rock Island makes a great product and you can't beat their price. You can't go wrong either way.