PDA

View Full Version : I want a new laptop. Help.

audiophil2
02-23-2010, 11:10 AM
My wife's laptop, Dell 700m is getting old in the tooth and she does not like the small screen. I am partial to Dell and Lenovo.
What she wants:
lightweight
14-15" screen
glide pad preferred over nipple or combo
enough power to play Farmville.
Long battery life 3-6 hours
No extra junk software.
Wireless n built in

She does not use it for much of anything else so any bells and whistles are not that important other than a good memory stick reader and maybe a built in cam.

What I want for her computer:
Win 7
lots of ram ( i can install)
durability (she destroys laptops)
lightweight (either docking unit for cdrom or everything built in.

I have a Lenovo x61 that I love.

I have a Dell business account so I am leaning that way but am willing to look at other brands.

Pyrodyne
02-23-2010, 9:25 PM
You might consider a toughbook. They are quite reliable even if the laptop serves as the occasional hammer... Add a SSD and it is that much more durable. There are lower cost models available that don't have the waterproofing. Screen size primarily dictates the cost.

Lenovo's are available cheap these days as well. If you want 3-5 hours battery, go with a 15" widescreen at the largest. Turn off Aero, search indexing, any other useless services/features. Lenmar makes excellent double capacity batteries for most makes and models. Avoid HP, too many customer service issues and warranty repair stonewalling.

EdCo
03-01-2010, 3:48 PM
Avoid HP, too many customer service issues and warranty repair stonewalling.

Damn, I just bought one a couple of hours ago. Good thing I got a 2 year extended service protection plan. Oh well, it was only 500 bucks.

freonr22
03-01-2010, 3:50 PM
my brother just got a toshiba on friday, i have to say very very nice (dell user here)

JDay
03-02-2010, 1:45 AM
Damn, I just bought one a couple of hours ago. Good thing I got a 2 year extended service protection plan. Oh well, it was only 500 bucks.

Don't worry about it. I've owned many HP's (still do) and they are good machines. Its also been my experience that almost all problems people blame on the computer end up being caused by them installing a ton of crap that is loaded with spyware.

stormy_clothing
03-03-2010, 9:53 AM
asus eee 1201n

bigmike82
03-03-2010, 10:23 AM
I gotta second the HP thing.

I've got a nc6200 (I think) that's been rock solid for the last...four, five years? My girlfriend had another consumer-grade laptop, which survived several falls as well. They're good machines.

XS40
03-03-2010, 11:26 AM
Sounds like a job for the base Thinkpad T510.

You get the new i5 at a decent price. Dell has not updated their latitude line yet, to my knowledge.
Durable as a thinkpad T is.
15.6" widescreen w/ LED backlight
glide and nipple
wifi a/b/g/n + wimax options

dakobster81
03-03-2010, 12:34 PM
get an apple and dont look back...and yes you can put windows 7 on an apple, all you need it windows 7, apples come pre-installed with something called Bootcamp that allows you to use it, I grew up using PCs and sold and worked on computers for 3 years, my 2 computers I have now and every computer going forward will be a Mac. They better quality in terms of hardware and software, but you will pay a little extra but it is very much worth it, the base model Macbook will do her just fine, it has everything you want but it has a 13.3 inch screen, they are built solid with the best quality hardware

Also no need to worry about any virus related crap or junk software (unless of course you are using windows on it)

Hozr
03-03-2010, 12:44 PM
Scout the Dell outlet for New/Cancelled orders. You can score great deals there. Got my Studio XPS 16 for under $900.

Not a big fan of the toughbook type computers. We've broken MANY of them at work, the only thing tough about them is getting them to work. Laptops and harsh environments don't mix. period.

Bug Splat
03-03-2010, 3:10 PM
Don't get an apple. For that price you could get two PC laptops. Win 7 kicks OSX's arse!

I'm a big Toshiba fan. I have laptops that are 10 years old that were daily workers and they are still running.

JDay
03-03-2010, 3:35 PM
I gotta second the HP thing.

I've got a nc6200 (I think) that's been rock solid for the last...four, five years? My girlfriend had another consumer-grade laptop, which survived several falls as well. They're good machines.

The nc6200 is a business class.

JDay
03-03-2010, 3:38 PM
get an apple and dont look back...

What a joke, for the price of a Macbook you can get an i7 based laptop. The Macbooks are still using core 2 duo processors. Macbooks are good if you don't mind paying a premium for 2-3 year old hardware. For that price you can buy 2-3 laptops with equivalent specs.

JDay
03-03-2010, 3:43 PM
Scout the Dell outlet for New/Cancelled orders. You can score great deals there. Got my Studio XPS 16 for under $900.

Not a big fan of the toughbook type computers. We've broken MANY of them at work, the only thing tough about them is getting them to work. Laptops and harsh environments don't mix. period.

I'm willing to wager you guy's didn't get the rugged Toughbooks, they sell many that only have the ToughBook name on them. Here's an example.

ToughBook in name only.

http://pics.livejournal.com/pyesetz/pic/000345fq

Rugged ToughBook that you can throw out of a third story window.

http://www.ruggedshop.nl/images/Panasonic-Toughbook-CF-19.jpg

bigmike82
03-03-2010, 3:45 PM
"The nc6200 is a business class."
Yup.

And solid as a rock, from a reliability standpoint. Of course, now that I've said this, it's gonna crap out on me.

JDay
03-03-2010, 3:50 PM
"The nc6200 is a business class."
Yup.

And solid as a rock, from a reliability standpoint. Of course, now that I've said this, it's gonna crap out on me.

Its time to upgrade to at least a core 2 series laptop anyway. That Pentium-M is past its useful lifespan. You can find nc8430's for cheap, refurbished (like new) even.

bigmike82
03-03-2010, 4:57 PM
Hehehe. Yeah...I just bought a cheapie Core2 Acer from Newegg a few months back, which has been great as my general laptop. If I need to take something to work on my routers or something, I still grab the HP. The serial port is very useful.

JDay
03-03-2010, 6:26 PM
Hehehe. Yeah...I just bought a cheapie Core2 Acer from Newegg a few months back, which has been great as my general laptop. If I need to take something to work on my routers or something, I still grab the HP. The serial port is very useful.

The serial port is a must have on a business class notebook, especially if you work in IT.

dakobster81
03-05-2010, 6:40 AM
For that price you can buy 2-3 laptops with equivalent specs.

no you cant, not new ones, and they will have a host of problems within a few years, not everyone can or wants to go through reinstalling OS's. its also for his wife, not an IT professional, enjoy fixing your PCs and running AV software (even though it's stupid), but Im over that

glockman19
03-05-2010, 6:51 AM
I have a Dell Inspiron 6400 and a Mac Pro. Depending on if you are a Mac or PC person I would recommend either or both.

JDay
03-06-2010, 7:04 AM
no you cant, not new ones, and they will have a host of problems within a few years, not everyone can or wants to go through reinstalling OS's. its also for his wife, not an IT professional, enjoy fixing your PCs and running AV software (even though it's stupid), but Im over that

Macbook Pro's start at $1199, a similarly configured PC laptop starts around $500. And you're not going to problems with it unless you abuse the machine. You never need to reinstall Windows ever unless you install a ton of crap.

dakobster81
03-06-2010, 10:48 AM
it is for his wife, i said a base line model macbook would be just fine, a brand new one (which he doesnt have to get if he wants to save money) but you probably didnt read my post, I never said anything about a macbook pro. Secondly, not everyone knows how to avoid software issues like viruses, and clear out registry and internet history to keep their PC going fast, so dont go under the assumption that she is a computer whiz who knows how to avoid the stuff and fix it if she does because the average person doesn't (especially outside the bay area), like I said I sold computers so I know that most people dont really know a whole lot...a lot of people have had to reinstall windows especially people that know what they are doing instead of paying money to get it fixed by someone, ill bet your one of them
:rant:

a similarly configured PC laptop starts around $500.

this is is not true. $500 PC is the same as a macbook pro? wow

JDay
03-06-2010, 11:01 AM
it is for his wife, i said a base line model macbook would be just fine, a brand new one (which he doesnt have to get if he wants to save money) but you probably didnt read my post, I never said anything about a macbook pro. Secondly, not everyone knows how to avoid software issues like viruses, and clear out registry and internet history to keep their PC going fast, so dont go under the assumption that she is a computer whiz who knows how to avoid the stuff and fix it if she does because the average person doesn't (especially outside the bay area), like I said I sold computers so I know that most people dont really know a whole lot...a lot of people have had to reinstall windows especially people that know what they are doing instead of paying money to get it fixed by someone, ill bet your one of them
:rant:

this is is not true. $500 PC is the same as a macbook pro? wow

The Macbook and the Macbook Pro both use Core 2 Duo processors that are several years old. So yes, for $500 you can get a better equipped PC laptop, the video card in it will be better than the one in a Macbook Pro also. Apples laptop hardware is always outdated, even when the new models come out.

dakobster81
03-06-2010, 11:03 AM
you make an assumption that newer means better which is often not the case with a lot of things, older doesnt mean it is worse, just means its older, a high end core 2 is better than something new that is low end, and no the video card wont be better

JDay
03-06-2010, 11:11 AM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115733

$799 but that has a Core i5 in it and a much better video card than even the most expensive Macbook Pro and has HDMI output which Macbook doesn't have. If you're lucky Apple will release Core i5/i7 machines in about 6 months. You can also find comparable Core 2 Duo machines for less than this price. Apple is a ripoff.

dakobster81
03-06-2010, 11:24 AM
you just went from $500 to $800, only a 60% price increase, how modest of you, and that still doesnt address the points I made regarding software, and you showed me an acer, to think that acer and apple are on the same level in terms of quality is laughable, I bet you didnt know that the RAM they use in Apples isn't the same RAM they use in a PC, yes PC ram works but they use higher quality raw materials that need to meet a certain standard to get into a Mac, acers are very prone to issues, one of the worst, moreso than any other mainstream brand

Also I never said price per spec apple is better, obviously a PC is cheaper, read my original argument, what Im saying is that if you can afford the little bit extra it is worth it for other reasons, and I can guarantee you that 9 times out of 10 you will end replacing or fixing your PC before you replace your Mac which nullifies you cost argument, and if you disagree with that statement then that is a whole other argument on reliability

To the OP sorry we may have jacked your thread...

-R-
03-06-2010, 11:35 AM
Take a look at dell's refurbished line if you want a PC. They COMPLETELY go through the machine and rebuild it from the ground up. Its only labeled as a refurb because they cant re-sell them as new. You still get a warranty through dell and are getting basically a brand new computer for a couple hundred less. Or you can get a much better computer for the same amount of money. Apple does the same thing with their refurbs if you are interested in a mac. Ive bought two refurb macbook pros and both look and function as if they were brand new.

http://www.dell.com/content/default.aspx?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh&~ck=mn

Keep checking back at this link, they update available computers on an almost hourly basis.
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac?mco=OTY2ODY3Nw

JDay
03-06-2010, 11:49 AM
you just went from $500 to $800, only a 60% price increase, how modest of you, and that still doesnt address the points I made regarding software, and you showed me an acer, to think that acer and apple are on the same level in terms of quality is laughable, I bet you didnt know that the RAM they use in Apples isn't the same RAM they use in a PC,

There is no difference between the ram used in apple laptops and pc laptops. Compare apple certified ram to non-apple certified ram and you'll see this. Now their Mac Pro workstations do use better ram (ECC), but that's an entirely different class of machine than a laptop.

dakobster81
03-06-2010, 11:56 AM
There is no difference between the ram used in apple laptops and pc laptops. Compare apple certified ram to non-apple certified ram and you'll see this. Now their Mac Pro workstations do use better ram (ECC), but that's an entirely different class of machine than a laptop.

not in terms of spec but in terms of materials yes there is

JDay
03-06-2010, 1:19 PM
not in terms of spec but in terms of materials yes there is

They get their chips from the same manufactures as many other companies. You can often get better ram yourself, i.e. corsair, geil, kingston. Its really no different.

Rascal
03-06-2010, 5:01 PM
What do you guys think about the refurbished Alienware laptops on E-bay?
Any good?

Acaron76
03-06-2010, 5:09 PM
Get a macbook! They are so awesome!

JDay
03-06-2010, 7:05 PM
What do you guys think about the refurbished Alienware laptops on E-bay?
Any good?

You be better off buying a business class machine. Alienware is all about the name, I hear the quality has dropped since Dell bought them too.

JDay
03-06-2010, 7:06 PM

http://hadshot.net/apple/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/what-the-mac.png

erblo
03-06-2010, 9:08 PM

Good call, best buy I ever made!

EWILKE
03-06-2010, 9:20 PM
MACBOOK PRO I made the switch from a dell and could not be happier and all the moving from pc to mac was simple.

gn3hz3ku1*
03-09-2010, 2:04 PM
deals2buy.com