PDA

View Full Version : Help with rust

Casual_Shooter
02-23-2010, 11:56 AM
Hi all,

I took my P220 out of the Gunvault safe I keep under our bed and it has what appears to be rust spots on the top and side of the slide.

What is the best way to remove the rust? I tried the small wire brush and cleaner that came with my cleaning kit and it didn't seem to do anything. I tried a "Blue" scotchbright pad which also didn't seem to do much.

I assume this was caused by moisture so I'll plan to put a silica pack or two in the gunvault, but aside from a coating of oil, are there other ways to keep this gun looking new? I've only put a couple hundred rounds through it and it's a bit disconcerting seeing this.

I don't live by the coast or water, but obviously moisture was/ is a problem.

Thanks in advance.

Pics:

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o147/dvflyer/Guns/Sig%20Sauer/DSCF3060.jpg

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o147/dvflyer/Guns/Sig%20Sauer/DSCF3061.jpg

gordyboard02
02-23-2010, 12:01 PM
When i moved to the coast I encountered the same problem. I cleaned it up with clp and a brass-bristled brush then put a thin layer of a product called Barricade on it (I forget who makes it) and it worked great!

ocspeedracer
02-23-2010, 12:30 PM
hmm i'll have to try that aswell

SCMA-1
02-23-2010, 1:05 PM
Be sure to wipe it down with a silicone/oil impregnated cloth after each time you handle it as the salts from your sweat will leave rust spots.

boredin818
02-23-2010, 1:36 PM
hmm i'll have to try that aswell

Go grab a full sized pencil eraser..... and give it a good rub. Then go buy some CLR at home depot and soak the corner of a rag in it. Dab on the CLR so you have a good amount covering the rust.... then give it a good rub down with the CLR rag corner. Afterwards, rub it with the eraser again to add shine.

Cheap and easy.

Casual_Shooter
02-23-2010, 2:05 PM
When i moved to the coast I encountered the same problem. I cleaned it up with clp and a brass-bristled brush then put a thin layer of a product called Barricade on it (I forget who makes it) and it worked great!

Go grab a full sized pencil eraser..... and give it a good rub. Then go buy some CLR at home depot and soak the corner of a rag in it. Dab on the CLR so you have a good amount covering the rust.... then give it a good rub down with the CLR rag corner. Afterwards, rub it with the eraser again to add shine.

Cheap and easy.

Excellent. I'll try both of those idea.

Purple K
02-23-2010, 2:14 PM
Bluing is just a controlled form of rust. Hot bluing offers only a slight amount of protection from damaging rust and cold bluing offers no protection. A light coating of oil, silicone or some other barrier to oxygen is your best defense.

SJgunguy24
02-23-2010, 6:08 PM
Use 0000 steel wool and a little oil to remove that rust. Brownels makes a clear epoxy called Metal Cote. You might want to give that a look as a top clear coat to give your sig some good rust protection.

Swift Justice
02-23-2010, 7:15 PM
Auto body supply places sell a product called "rust mort" which works very well and leaves a zinc phosphate coating on the (formerly) rusty areas, although I would try the fine steel wool and light oil (like 3-in-1) method first.

Alex$
02-23-2010, 7:17 PM
Is it only on the left side? The gun lays on the left side, ready for a right handed person to pick it up? If your gun vault isn't air tight the dessicant pack may not adequately control the moisture in there.

Personally I would take the foam padding out and replace it with some cardboard if you are concerned about dings from a bare metal shelf. Foam can retain moisture and cause that type of contact rust.

Forgot to mention, use a good penetrating oil and let it work on the rust spot, follow it with brass brush and it should get rid of the spots. (Kroil or CLP work well)

sacshooter1
02-23-2010, 7:18 PM
I had a slide coated with NP3 and my rust problems are over with.

bobnfloyd
02-23-2010, 7:23 PM
My Sig P220 started rusting, not at your level but about 1/3 of that, 2 weeks after I bought it and left it in the box it came in, 2 tone, brand new from the factory. I had a slide problem and eventually sent it in, the next slide that I got, I treated it the same way and it never had a rust problem. This was a P220 I purchased in 2007. I always thought Stainless was supposed to be more resistant to rust than this. I now keep my Sigs wet with CLP and in a silicon sock with a dehumidifier in the safe.

I was told 0000 steel wool too, thankfully Sig solved my problem. I just wished their Customer Service didn't take 3 months to fix my manufacturing defect at the same time. Nice attitudes, just clueless.

Casual_Shooter
02-23-2010, 9:51 PM
Is it only on the left side? The gun lays on the left side, ready for a right handed person to pick it up? If your gun vault isn't air tight the dessicant pack may not adequately control the moisture in there.

Personally I would take the foam padding out and replace it with some cardboard if you are concerned about dings from a bare metal shelf. Foam can retain moisture and cause that type of contact rust.

Forgot to mention, use a good penetrating oil and let it work on the rust spot, follow it with brass brush and it should get rid of the spots. (Kroil or CLP work well)

You nailed it. Lays on the left side. Although I think there were a few spots on the "ribbing" on the right side.

I had the same thought about changing out the foam.

Thanks guys for the suggestions.

Casual_Shooter
02-23-2010, 9:52 PM
My Sig P220 started rusting, not at your level but about 1/3 of that, 2 weeks after I bought it and left it in the box it came in, 2 tone, brand new from the factory. I had a slide problem and eventually sent it in, the next slide that I got, I treated it the same way and it never had a rust problem. This was a P220 I purchased in 2007. I always thought Stainless was supposed to be more resistant to rust than this. I now keep my Sigs wet with CLP and in a silicon sock with a dehumidifier in the safe.

I was told 0000 steel wool too, thankfully Sig solved my problem. I just wished their Customer Service didn't take 3 months to fix my manufacturing defect at the same time. Nice attitudes, just clueless.

I purchased this last year and thought about contacting Sig to see what they would recommend. Might be worth an email. You never know.

Casual_Shooter
02-23-2010, 9:56 PM
I had a slide coated with NP3 and my rust problems are over with.

I thought about a coating of some sort. I'll have to check out the NP3.

pogo
02-23-2010, 11:21 PM
........ I always thought Stainless was supposed to be more resistant to rust than this. ......

I don't know this model well, this is a stainless slide then?

Quality grades of stainless won't rust, but surface remnants of carbon steel tooling used to work the stainless piece that aren't removed will eventually show this kind of oxidation.

It sounds like SIG didn't do a full cleanup of the piece before it left their shop.

We installed/welded stainless frameworks on the seawall of a few Malibu beachfront homes, and never had a rust problem beyond the above described residue of carbon steel tooling. Once buffed out, the rust wouldn't return.

It's odd, but if we come back to the beach installation years later the stainless, hit by salt water every day wouldn't be rusting, rather it would just 'disappear' in little spots here and there.

luckystrike
02-23-2010, 11:54 PM
periodic firearm maitenence

jyo
02-24-2010, 12:19 AM
Light surface rust can usually be removed from blued gun parts by soaking the surface in a good gun oil (like BreakFree) and then using the edge of a pre 1980 copper penny to scape the surface rust off usually with no damage to the metal or finish. Once the rust is into the metal (pits) you probably will have to refinish or hard chrome the parts. In my experence, the product called "Rust Prevent" by I believe, Burchwood Casey will keep most guns rust free. Good luck.

hybridatsun350
02-24-2010, 12:42 AM
Auto body supply places sell a product called "rust mort" which works very well and leaves a zinc phosphate coating on the (formerly) rusty areas, although I would try the fine steel wool and light oil (like 3-in-1) method first.

Don't rust-mort your gun! If you're working on a $20 shotgun than yes, go for it, but this a quality pistol. I've used that stuff many times, and this is not a place for that.

nn3453
02-24-2010, 7:06 AM
Foam is for trasportation. Do not store metal on or inside foam. Another vote to get rid of the foam. I'm surprised they use foam inside the gunvault and not something else.